OT: How old are you?

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
61 years young and been following our rangers since 1961. Only a few of us my age on the board to share years of rangers heartaches (except for 1994 of course).

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
We want to have fun in here, but we want to be extra careful with the disclosure rule.

No Disclosure of Personal Information: Do not disclose any other member's email, real name, address, phone number, IP address, or other personal information. Do not disclose emails, private messages, ignore lists, infractions, warnings, bans or other site discipline on the open forum. Do not bring personal disputes into the forums.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Recently turned 29.

Been on HF since I was 12, so like 1999. Pavel Brendl and Jamie Lundmark FTW.

Started writing for HF in August of 2000 when I was 13. Guess they were pretty desperate in those days.

Laughed to myself recently when the Coyotes hired a 26 year old GM and wondered where I went wrong in life. Should've been me :)
:laugh: that's amazing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
:laugh: that's amazing.

I remember reading Draft Guru's articles and he was actually a lot better at writing them than he claims. If I remember there was a dispute--a new ownership group at HF came in and took it away from him because he was 'too young' or something like that. Age discrimination in reverse.

The thing is some guys way back then should have been a lot better than they turned out---particularly Brendl and Lundmark. After he was drafted Brendl didn't put in the work. He didn't take care of his body. He was always fat and out of shape. There were people who considered that in time Lundmark might be the best player out of the entire draft. He had a lot of skill and his draft year--not only was it skill but he played with a ton of edge. Could have IMO been something like Jonathan Toews. The year after the draft he's pouting and demanding trades and the edge in his game begins to evaporate. He turned into a kind of prima donna. He stopped back checking. He stopped being accountable---that's why the Rangers eventually got rid of him.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Oh the hype around the pair. The next Trottier/Bossy.

And Malhotra was going to be the next Brian Skrudlund. Which he kinda did end up being. At least Malhotra was pretty successful in his career. Lundmark had a great camp his first year. He did look like Roenick. He didn't make the team because of how Manny was treated by Muckler the year before. I'm sure Lundmark's career would have ended up the same BUT I wonder sometimes what could've been. Cherneski is another guy that could've been a special player. (Well special to the Rangers at least)

It's amazing to think that the Rangers had two top 10 picks and both players busted. It's not like the Rangers were reaching for Brendl or Lundmark either. Still the best draft I have ever watched. It was like a dream come true. The Rangers were kinda rebuilding and it was happening in real time, at least they were taking an interest in the draft again. And both guys ended up sucking.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
How many members were a part of the original newyorkrangers.com message boards? What an interesting place that was. Still use some of the meme from those boards ("ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz", "How cares?", "Jarg").

I think Levitate is the only username I recognize from those boards.

I remember that place. Only username I remember from there was DrLeetch. It might have been from here also, I have a bad memory which doesn't help in conversations like these.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
And Malhotra was going to be the next Brian Skrudlund. Which he kinda did end up being. At least Malhotra was pretty successful in his career. Lundmark had a great camp his first year. He did look like Roenick. He didn't make the team because of how Manny was treated by Muckler the year before. I'm sure Lundmark's career would have ended up the same BUT I wonder sometimes what could've been. Cherneski is another guy that could've been a special player. (Well special to the Rangers at least)

It's amazing to think that the Rangers had two top 10 picks and both players busted. It's not like the Rangers were reaching for Brendl or Lundmark either. Still the best draft I have ever watched. It was like a dream come true. The Rangers were kinda rebuilding and it was happening in real time, at least they were taking an interest in the draft again. And both guys ended up sucking.

The comparisons for Lundmark were so enticing: Trottier, Roenick, Yzerman, Sakic (at least those are the ones I remember).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

The two times the Rangers have had 2 first round picks in the past ~40 years have been just horrible drafts.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I clearly remember the Roenick comparisons to Lundmark.

He played a very similar game as an 18 year old in the WHL.

The first warning signs were that he seemed to lose some of that edge after his draft year. I also couldn't help but think he wasn't quite taking it up a notch the way I thought he would. Not that he was bad, but I started to wonder if he had top line production.

Still, his overall game seemed very well suited for the pros.

Lundmark still ranks as one of my all-time disappointments.

Overall, Lundmark, Steve Kelly and Jason Bonsignore are pretty high up there.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Grachev was a guy i thought was going to be a star. big guy, great hands, great straight ahead speed...so much talent. sigh.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
The comparisons for Lundmark were so enticing: Trottier, Roenick, Yzerman, Sakic (at least those are the ones I remember).

He was a good skater, had a great wrist shot, played tough, but then I met him and he was small. I mean if he was 5'10 160 pounds that would have been generous. He was listed a lot bigger than that, but wasn't, so his game ended up not translating. Ron Low, yes, Ron Low, tried his best by him as wing was his best shot. Remember meeting Malhotra and Kloucek on the same day. They were big boys.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
He played a very similar game as an 18 year old in the WHL.

The first warning signs were that he seemed to lose some of that edge after his draft year. I also couldn't help but think he wasn't quite taking it up a notch the way I thought he would. Not that he was bad, but I started to wonder if he had top line production.

Still, his overall game seemed very well suited for the pros.

Lundmark still ranks as one of my all-time disappointments.

Overall, Lundmark, Steve Kelly and Jason Bonsignore are pretty high up there.

We used to have debates on this board about Lundmark. Not you and me (we may have) but the board in general. I would love to know now if people still think the Rangers ruined him? That was the feeling on this board. That Messier was taking Lundmarks valuable minutes. I still don't agree with it but it was a "Ranger Board Fact" and if you argued the other side, well, you basically were fighting an uphill battle. Not that I minded the debates! The Rangers ruined Manny. An argument that I was wrong about. Not that they ruined him because he had a fairly successful career. But they didn't handle him correctly. Which they didn't. And that's all on Neil Smith who should've just sent Manny back to Junior when it was clear Muckler wasn't going to play him. Muckler was a terrible coach. He was so lost and those teams, looking back, should've made the playoffs. The Sather/Low/Trottier era teams were terrible.

Kelly and Bonsignore are two players that Sather gets killed for drafting and they were both thought of as sure fire NHL players. Especially Bonsignore. I remember THN or Hockey Digest calling him the next Mario Lemieux and he was a big kid.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
He was a good skater, had a great wrist shot, played tough, but then I met him and he was small. I mean if he was 5'10 160 pounds that would have been generous. He was listed a lot bigger than that, but wasn't, so his game ended up not translating. Ron Low, yes, Ron Low, tried his best by him as wing was his best shot. Remember meeting Malhotra and Kloucek on the same day. They were big boys.

Sir,

It is nice to see you around here. I hope you are doing great!

I met Klocek and he was a monster. My buddy once tried to start a fight with Dan Cloutier over a girl. It was bad. Thank god Cloutier didn't fight him. My buddy would've been destroyed. I totally forgot about that night until recently. I was looking for a picture the other day that I took of that party that somehow 3 young Rangers were attending. I remember thinking "I'm partying with the New York Rangers". I wish I could remember who the other two guys were. It was late August of 97. I was amazed that the 3 guys were only drinking water.

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
30! Discovered my fondness of hockey during the 2010 Olympics, after a life with bandy as my big ice sport. So yeah, very late bloomer. Glad it finally found me, tho.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We used to have debates on this board about Lundmark. Not you and me (we may have) but the board in general. I would love to know now if people still think the Rangers ruined him? That was the feeling on this board. That Messier was taking Lundmarks valuable minutes. I still don't agree with it but it was a "Ranger Board Fact" and if you argued the other side, well, you basically were fighting an uphill battle. Not that I minded the debates! The Rangers ruined Manny. An argument that I was wrong about. Not that they ruined him because he had a fairly successful career. But they didn't handle him correctly. Which they didn't. And that's all on Neil Smith who should've just sent Manny back to Junior when it was clear Muckler wasn't going to play him. Muckler was a terrible coach. He was so lost and those teams, looking back, should've made the playoffs. The Sather/Low/Trottier era teams were terrible.

Kelly and Bonsignore are two players that Sather gets killed for drafting and they were both thought of as sure fire NHL players. Especially Bonsignore. I remember THN or Hockey Digest calling him the next Mario Lemieux and he was a big kid.

It's funny, I was very vocal about the way the Rangers handled Dube, Savard, Cherneski and Malhotra. But with Lundmark, who I was VERY high on, I didn't fault them. He was the kid I felt they gave a chance and he just didn't step up.

That 2003-2004 season was his window, especially the last quarter of that season. Frankly, I also felt he underachieved at the AHL level as well.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
How many members were a part of the original newyorkrangers.com message boards? What an interesting place that was. Still use some of the meme from those boards ("ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz", "How cares?", "Jarg").

I think Levitate is the only username I recognize from those boards.

Lev can confirm this, but, I also remember seeing Lev and Pizza at another Rangers board where a few members from RFC Graffiti wall went to...Larry Melnyk used to be at Graffiti Wall, also. And, Fish went off and started Outside the Garden, which is where JOrts ended up. JOrts was a legend.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
I feel like i knew most of the regulars on this sites ages already before this thread. Its fairly easy to tell by the way they deal with topics and other posters. Also, im 26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad