How much will goalie equipment shrink this summer?

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
I know people say it won't make a difference but

DQARJow.jpg

zOdKS8X.jpg

vs.

TTTiKwU.jpg

mr2tXKf.jpg

Ignoring the difference in player thickness, the thing that really interests me is the extra leg pad size that Lundqvist, Bishop, and all modern goalies have.

If the leg pads returned to early-mid 90s size, goalies would have a much harder time protecting their five hole and the butterfly style would instantly become less effective.

The implications of that would be huge. Goalies who are not very athletic would be forced out of the league much like slow skaters were forced out of the league after the lockout. The goalie position would turn on its head.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I don't know about after the summer, but I do know how much by the end of the year. "Not enough."

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Not enough to make a difference.

The pads in the 90s were an inch wider and the gloves much bigger.

If you want to increase goals start calling clutch n grabs.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

Pads were much more than an inch wider. The saga continues in penalizing athletes that became incredibly better at their position.

My idol growing up, all 5'10 of him (which was gracious):

61dvS6Oa8CL.jpg

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
It would be such a gamble to trade/sign goalies long-term when you don't know how they will play with smaller equipment. Some teams are going to look foolish..

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Another crackdown on obstruction won't work, which can be demonstrated by the fact that it didn't work last time. Once teams and players adjusted after 2006, the refs stopped calling copious amounts of powerplays(they were never going to sustain that level anyways), and scoring regressed due to the fact that even strength scoring barely budged from pre-crackdown to post-crackdown.

The problems go deeper than just the idea that players are getting held up by opponents anyways. Advances in coaching, fitness, goaltending mechanics(and physical size), shot blocking tactics, league skill level, and player training have all conspired to create the new dead puck era we are seeing today. The league needs to move away from referee dependent crackdowns anyways, there will never be any consistency over the long term from that branch of the NHL.

Pads were much more than an inch wider. The saga continues in penalizing athletes that became incredibly better at their position.

My idol growing up, all 5'10 of him (which was gracious):

61dvS6Oa8CL.jpg

The pads were bigger, and one of the results of that was the dead puck era.

It's true that the pads are smaller now, but the goaltenders are all huge compared to the players that were in the net during the 90s. It's more than compensated for any of the meager gains the NHL has made in getting the NHLPA and it's goaltenders to reduce equipment size.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Has no one ever done a video of a modern NHL goaltender wearing equipment from the early 90s?

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Another crackdown on obstruction won't work, which can be demonstrated by the fact that it didn't work last time. Once teams and players adjusted after 2006, the refs stopped calling copious amounts of powerplays(they were never going to sustain that level anyways), and scoring regressed due to the fact that even strength scoring barely budged from pre-crackdown to post-crackdown.

The problems go deeper than just the idea that players are getting held up by opponents anyways. Advances in coaching, fitness, goaltending mechanics(and physical size), shot blocking tactics, league skill level, and player training have all conspired to create the new dead puck era we are seeing today. The league needs to move away from referee dependent crackdowns anyways, there will never be any consistency over the long term from that branch of the NHL.

The pads were bigger, and one of the results of that was the dead puck era.

It's true that the pads are smaller now, but the goaltenders are all huge compared to the players that were in the net during the 90s. It's more than compensated for any of the meager gains the NHL has made in getting the NHLPA and it's goaltenders to reduce equipment size.

So penalize goalies for being good?

But don't penalize players for breaking the rules?

We've already seen as the equipment has gotten smaller the goals haven't come, tweaking things isn't going to change that.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
One of the biggest differences is the weight of the pads. All of bishops pads, after a game, weigh less than one of Richters leg pads. It enables 6'6 guys to play like their 5'7.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I think anyone saying that a goalie should be able to have an extra foot around their body. They are going to make it so that a goalie actually looks like a person not a wall. Pads are not really the issue its the fact that the pick can completely miss the goalies body but get caught in the almost net like surrounding pads..

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I like the idea of angled post better. Would it be "artificially" inscreasing goals scored? Yes. But so would shrinking goalie pads again. There would be a lot more snipe goals, which are always fun to watch.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I like the idea of angled post better. Would it be "artificially" inscreasing goals scored? Yes. But so would shrinking goalie pads again. There would be a lot more snipe goals, which are always fun to watch.

Angled posts would create more goals, but not more entertainment.

Goaltender and net-centric changes widens the danger area so that shots from further out becomes more dangerous. This not only in itself creates more chances, but it'll also force more aggressive defensive systems, opening up more space for skilled players to use. Thus increasing entertainment.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
So penalize goalies for being good?

But don't penalize players for breaking the rules?

We've already seen as the equipment has gotten smaller the goals haven't come, tweaking things isn't going to change that.

2005-2006 is clearly enough evidence to prove calling an insane amount of penalties is not the answer either. All that accomplished was goal scoring to get back to normalcy.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Angled posts would create more goals, but not more entertainment.

Goaltender and net-centric changes widens the danger area so that shots from further out becomes more dangerous. This not only in itself creates more chances, but it'll also force more aggressive defensive systems, opening up more space for skilled players to use. Thus increasing entertainment.

The league isn't trying to get more goals. They're trying to give shooters a better chance at scoring.

Whether or not more goals are scored is actually irrelevant. I'm also not sure why people keep bringing up entertainment as if it has anything to do with this decision of shrinking goalie equipment.

It's very simple. The league wants there to be more net to shoot at. Hence they're shrinking goalie equipment.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The league isn't trying to get more goals. They're trying to give shooters a better chance at scoring.

Whether or not more goals are scored is actually irrelevant. I'm also not sure why people keep bringing up entertainment as if it has anything to do with this decision of shrinking goalie equipment.

It's very simple. The league wants there to be more net to shoot at. Hence they're shrinking goalie equipment.

Yeah league wants more net to shoot at. However, that's not something they decided arbitrarily. They do it to create a better sport that attracts more people. Entertainment. Unless you have some other theory?

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I know people say it won't make a difference but

DQARJow.jpg

zOdKS8X.jpg

vs.

TTTiKwU.jpg

mr2tXKf.jpg

Ignoring the difference in player thickness, the thing that really interests me is the extra leg pad size that Lundqvist, Bishop, and all modern goalies have.

If the leg pads returned to early-mid 90s size, goalies would have a much harder time protecting their five hole and the butterfly style would instantly become less effective.

The implications of that would be huge. Goalies who are not very athletic would be forced out of the league much like slow skaters were forced out of the league after the lockout. The goalie position would turn on its head.
Comparing 5'8 Beezer to 6'7 Bishop doesn't work. Beezer's pads probably wouldn't even come to Bishops knees.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Wouldn't angled posts pose a greater risk of injury for forwards who lose an edge or who are propelled into the posts? Current round posts are more forgiving in terms of impact.

Just shrink goalie equipment to the bare minimum required to provide safety. We've been through the era of goalies wearing oversized jerseys that made them look like they were wearing a tent and now with so much excess padding that there is very little daylight for a puck to get through. It's time to put an end to vertical mattresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad