How much longer until DET is competitive again? 2-3 years? 3+ years?

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
They need a couple players to build around that they haven’t drafted yet, so 5 years I would say

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Detroit wont be a contender for at least half a decade

you dont magically increase all your prospects ages and developments over night.

just like NJ, you spend 15+ years competing youre gonna fall off HARD

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
If Seider and Raymond are as good as advertised, 2 years.

If only one is, 3 years.

If neither is, 5 years.
Seider and Raymond only take up two of 18 player slots.. detroit is missing an entire roster outside Larkin Mantha Zadina and Rasmussen

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
As many have pointed out, we need a truly elite #1C and #1D, and you have to get real lucky to pick them up when you're picking 4th overall every year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Seider and Raymond only take up two of 18 player slots.. detroit is missing an entire roster outside Larkin Mantha Zadina and Rasmussen

Like I said in another post, if the two of them are as good as advertised then they are franchise cornerstones. These are the guys that make the players around them better and accelerate a rebuild. Seider is probably the best prospect not in the NHL right now and has been the best defenseman in the SHL by a mile. I'd bet that he comes in and is immediately Detroit's number 1 D if we have a good coach next year.

Guys like Givani Smith, Rasmussen, Berggren, Veleno are 4 forwards that are looking pretty good. The problem is that none of them are getting into the lineup on the regular this year because they're either locked into Sweden or because of the shitty vets stockpiled on the roster that Blashill refuses to sit.

There's some 3rd line depth in Fabbri, Namestnikov, Ryan, and Glendening is a good 4th liner.

Detroit needs better play from it's 1st line, and it needs Nielsen, Fillpula and Gagner gone.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
4-5 years at the earliest. We just don't have any truly elite players (although we have some very good players/prospects) and don't have much prospect for acquiring them without some repeated lottery luck.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
They need work everywhere.

They need a franchise player.
Every team seems to have one and Detroit has...Larkin.

They need to get lucky and get Shane Wright and for him to develop into a star.

To me they feel like Ottawa but like 1 or 2 years behind Ottawa's rebuild.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
3+ years.

They still need a #1 LHD and a #1C. They really need to get Luke Hughes or Owen Power this year. Then they gotta hope they get Wright or Savoie in 2022. If they can get that, they'll be looking good.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I'd say 3 years. I'm super high on both Raymond and Seider (much higher than average), so I expect the 2021 and 2022 drafts to round out their core and for Yzerman to fill out the depth with FAs and trades and they should be good to go in my opinion. The defense is still somewhat suspect, but Stecher was a great pickup, I'm just not as convinced by the prospect pool to solidly fill out their top 4. The team will need some more of that Yzerman magic, especially for the depth of the roster.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
They still need to hit on at least one more top forward (center preferably) prospect in order to avoid the perpetual rebuild.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Before the Canucks.

The Canucks are currently lying to themselves in believing their rebuild is done, imo. Should have taken another couple years, but now it's made them stagnate. Remind me of the pre-2015 maple leafs of this century.

I'm a canucks fan.

Ya, I was one of those thinking they shoulda started last year, instead they were surprisingly good. Now it all looks a mirage/mess though- hopefully it isn’t too rough for you guys, but Detroit is hopefully looking up- idk if that’s the case for Canucks.

Sincerely,
A Sabres fan. Let’s just not discuss how my team compares.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Ya, I was one of those thinking they shoulda started last year, instead they were surprisingly good. Now it all looks a mirage/mess though- hopefully it isn’t too rough for you guys, but Detroit is hopefully looking up- idk if that’s the case for Canucks.

Sincerely,
A Sabres fan. Let’s just not discuss how my team compares.

I'd prefer buffalos top pieces to Vancouver's long term. Eichel+dahlin > petterson+hughes
And then you have cozens, this year's top pick, and a few other nice pieces.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
They need:

- starting goalie
- top centre or at least a 1b
- 2 more top 6 wingers not including Raymond as I think right now you can see in a few years them having Mantha and Zadina as top 6, Bertuzzi should be a third liner on a competitive team and Raymond will take time to get to a top level
- number 1 dman to pair with Seider, no Hronek is not a top dman
- another top 4 dman

Not easy. Going to take a while.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
If their terrible draft lottery luck ends (or if it's removed or changed significantly), I think they'll start looking fairly decent in 3-4 years.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I can’t see 3 years being reasonable. They need another 3 drafts just stockpile and rebuild. I’d say in the 7 year range is more likely.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Larkin would be a great center to split duties with another 1B level player and he would be terrific as a 2nd line center. However, the player he would platoon with is not even in the organization yet. Meanwhile, Larkin is 24, this season is a write off and his last year under contract is 2022-23. He becomes a UFA.

Fabbri and Bertuzzi are 25. Mantha is 26. Considering that there is no goaltending, no center depth anywhere withing the organization and vast majority of future hopefuls haven't even seen NHL ice yet, I think that Detroit is currently in transition period and there will probably be Part 2 to this rebuild.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
One could say our rebuild hasn't even started. We are in year 4 of our 'rebuild' and our bottom six tonight is...

Namestnikov - Filppula - Gagner
Erne - Glendening - Nielsen

Our first round picks in 2015, 2016 and 2017 cannot crack one of the worst rosters in the cap era.

On top of that, our core players have all regressed (Larkin, Mantha, Hronek).

At least we have Seider, everyone will know who he is soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad