How much longer until DET is competitive again? 2-3 years? 3+ years?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Not entirely sure when DET actually declared the rebuild but it seems it's been going on for 5 years now?

1) Does Yzerman plan on one or two more drafts inside the top 10?
  • There have been talks to maybe push 2021 draft back a year, does this hurt DET?
2) How much longer until they put it all together?
  • 2 years?
  • 3 years?
  • 4 or more?
3) What do they still need, whether prospect wise or NHL ready player to start competing in 1-2 years?
  • If a big trade, do you think it's on forward or defense?

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
image_2021-02-17_154358-png.397308

3 years - don't push them too soon.

Reactions: Bobby Terrance

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If Seider and Raymond are as good as advertised, 2 years.

If only one is, 3 years.

If neither is, 5 years.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
As an Oiler fan who watched this garbage first hand...

It's not about "how long" you tank for. It's when you have an elite #1C and #1D to build around.

It doesn't matter how many 1st overall you get, if they're Nugent Hopkins / Yakupov tier players.

You need to START with a McDavid, Kucherov, Matthews tier player.

Look at the recent teams that climbed out of the shit-hole.
It's several key players in key positions. Doesn't matter where they're drafted.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Quite a while; 3+ years would be my guess. It's not just acquiring the top talent in a rebuild, it's surrounding that talent with quality contributing role players and developing the stuff you do have. Picking high and then throwing that pick into the lineup every year expecting better results is poor management as evidenced by Edmonton, Buffalo, Florida, Arizona.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
We need at least another Larkin level center, probably someone better. Need a massive upgrade on D. Hopefully Seider can be the anchor, still need a top pairing LD. Hronek is best suited as a 3rd. Need a longer term goalie option.

So my guess is bottom 3 this year, bottom 5 next. Then somewhere in the 5-15 range for a year or two. So probably not a playoff team for at least 3 more seasons. But that means Seider, Raymond, and the next two draft picks have to hit and be a D or center. If Stevie can supplement with good UFA/ Trades it could be sooner, but I'm not really seeing a lot available that would jump this rebuild up more.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If Seider and Raymond are as good as advertised, 2 years.

If only one is, 3 years.

If neither is, 5 years.

I think Seider and Raymond definitely have top line D/F potential.
Larkin is a high end 2C, Mantha is a good top 6 winger, Hronek is a top 4 D.
Bertuzzi , Zadina and Fabbri are good complimentary middle 6 guys.

They need another solid draft on LD or C
Still missing a #1C, #1G and another top 6 forward/Center and tons of developing their 21 and younger prospects.

As a FLA fan who's seen them 4-5 times already, they play better than their record.

As an Oiler fan who watched this garbage first hand...

It's not about "how long" you tank for. It's when you have an elite #1C and #1D to build around.

It doesn't matter how many 1st overall you get, if they're Nugent Hopkins / Yakupov tier players.

You need to START with a McDavid, Kucherov, Matthews tier player.

Look at the recent teams that climbed out of the shit-hole.
It's several key players in key positions. Doesn't matter where they're drafted.

Seider has #1D potential, but Larkin isn't a true #1C imo.
Do they find the #1C in this draft or go fill a need on LD?

Not every draft does that bolded player level come along, definitely makes it easier.

Curious which recent teams have made that climb?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Depends on how lucky they get with the prospects/draft. The best GM that ever lived cant create a franchise C/D out of thin air. Even then, it doesn’t always work (Buffalo).

Im going 3+, but they all won’t be consecutive abysmal season. There will be some false hope sprinkled in along the way.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2 years.. Hronek and Seider are a great start on the back.
Velendo is a great second round pick.
Larkin, Zadina and Mantha are great building blocks.
I feel like they've drafted well and can fill in some spaces... I also think Stevie Y is a very good GM. I may also have a Czech bias here.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Before the Canucks.

The Canucks are currently lying to themselves in believing their rebuild is done, imo. Should have taken another couple years, but now it's made them stagnate. Remind me of the pre-2015 maple leafs of this century.

I'm a canucks fan.

Reactions: Mashed Potatoes

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If Seider and Raymond meet their hype, then sooner rather than later, as they are two pieces that could be built around for a truly competitive team.

Zadina still remains to be seen, but if he also improves considerably then those three with Larkin make a pretty solid group of core pieces.

But the team has a lot of holes right now, so it will really depend on if Yzerman is able to surround those guys with the right support pieces when the time comes.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I know the Rangers' rebuild was deemed (prematurely IMO) complete here recently, so maybe signing someone like Hall (a la Panarin) might speed it up a year or so. That also depends on the prospects developing and some draft luck. I still think it's 3+ years out.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think Seider and Raymond definitely have top line D/F potential.
Larkin is a high end 2C, Mantha is a good top 6 winger, Hronek is a top 4 D.
Bertuzzi , Zadina and Fabbri are good complimentary middle 6 guys.

They need another solid draft on LD or C
Still missing a #1C, #1G and another top 6 forward/Center and tons of developing their 21 and younger prospects.

As a FLA fan who's seen them 4-5 times already, they play better than their record.

Seider has #1D potential, but Larkin isn't a true #1C imo.
Do they find the #1C in this draft or go fill a need on LD?

Not every draft does that bolded player level come along, definitely makes it easier.

Curious which recent teams have made that climb?

Their W prospects coming in 1-2 years all look like they'll be solid contributors. Berggren is ripping apart the SHL right now and he's probably the 3rd to 5th best prospect for Detroit.
Soderblom is another guy that, if he makes it, looks to be a tremendous add in the top 9 wherever he's slotted.

At center we're thin. Veleno looks like a 2/3C, and so does Niederbach. Rasmussen is looking like a 3rd line center at best. The team can be competitive with Larkin and Veleno as the 1-2 center punch if Raymond lives up to his draft position and Zadina starts filling nets with pucks.

There's a couple solid D prospects in the system that look like they could make it in Albert Johansson and Jared McIsaac. Johansson's wheels make him very easy to project as a player. McIsaac's only knock on him is shoulder injuries requiring surgery in back to back seasons.

Goalie prospects, yeah. We need an upgrade, but Wallstedt is available this year and he looks amazing.

Like I said, the 2 year timeframe really hedges on Raymond and Seider. They're the kind of guys that make other players around them better so the success of the other kids being promoted can in part be tied to Raymond and Seider.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
2 years.. Hronek and Seider are a great start on the back.
Velendo is a great second round pick.
Larkin, Zadina and Mantha are great building blocks.
I feel like they've drafted well and can fill in some spaces... I also think Stevie Y is a very good GM. I may also have a Czech bias here.

Making the PO shouldn't be that difficult. Almost
half the teams in the league make the freaken PO.
They need to get a decent goalie and let Seider
play and learn.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
They need to get a little lottery luck coming their way. Seider and Raymond are going to be good players for them, don’t know if I see them as cup winning centre pieces though. These next two drafts they have to get a 1C and a top flight LHD so likely another season in the basement after this year, then they are going to want to push hard for a playoff spot as Larkin will be close to UFA and they’ll have to show signs of life to have a shot at bringing him back

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
2022 draft is their last rebuild year, after that they're trying to be competitive.

They'll pick up their top pairing LD this year to go with Seider and they'll get their 1C in the 2022 draft, and that's a good enough skeleton to build around moving forward.

How quickly they go from the 2022 draft to contender depends on how well they stockpile up to then and how well their transactions go afterwards, UFA's available, etc.

Edit: Took a look at their drafting the last 5 years, pretty bad considering where they were in the standings. That needs to be fixed if they're going to contend.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They can probably bubble their way to Islanders/Jackets level if they get an excellent coach but they don't really have any superstar talent to get to Tampa level and it doesn't seem like there's any coming.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Once they get Wright or Lambert they'll get there, should be right on time for Raymond too.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
There's no reason why Gerard Gallant shouldn't be the coach of this team instead of Blashill. Still beyond maddening how Yzerman has allowed him to remain on when a proven coach and good friend/former linemate is still out there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You can kind of count it when all the dead cap space is gone.

Nielsen contract is the last/longest one.

Also that prospect group in Sweden should make biggest impact, when all will come over the pond. Seider, Raymond, Veleno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad