How much longer can Branch stay on?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Back on track.

I think you'll see Branch replaced at the OHL level within 5 years. 5 too many for some lol, but I think time is near. Someone's being groomed to take over, I gotta think.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
London was interested AFTER he was signed? And you call my comment dumb lol.

Laugh n call me dumb all you want. Real mature. But you are incorrect.100% incorrect. Thou I won't wait for an apology.
He was on Londons radar and at least one other team. Erie won the recruiting battle. Simple. Good on them, that was my original point.
The list of players that have been passed over in 15 rds but made an impact in the O isn't insignificant. London alone- Prust, Anderson, McNeil- all NHL draft picks. So don't wrongly assume those type kids don't garner attention. Stolarz, Mermis, Sherwood signed as older kids as FAs, Londons always looking, as should others be.

I see you didnt acknowledge anything else in my post. Why not?
Branch is responsible for an increase in hand injuries? lol. Referee system? Suspension system?

N all you got is an incorrect "we found him by accident" and laughing at how dumb I am comment. DeBrincat was recruited by other teams, ask around. He picked Erie.

Just as foolish as you saying Marner faked injury last year in POs, that trainers didn't care about players welfare, that Domi faked injury n sat out a game ect...
I stand by all my comments 100%

You would understand my side of you weren't a London fan. I get it. I'm a fan of a sports team that owns their respected league and personally think they are the cleanest organization. But reality is probably some stuff behind scenes going on or their excellence wouldn't run as far for so long

I'll just keep my opinions to myself. Was saying you sounded dumb on the Debrincat situation because you claimed you knew. That isn't what I meant by "free agents" anyways. He was a true free agent that nobody wanted to draft- was fair game. I meant the mysterious college route players teams draft in the 7th-15th round and they show up down the line when they were really 1st-3rd round talent. It's a little manipulation into that if you don't think teams are planning it well you probably are oblivious. Every team does it. Mentioned London because they build their team around it and seem to have done it the most consistently. But some way there should be a rule of some sort to negate it. More level playing field which everyone would like to see

Last edited:

Kobe1468

Jan 1, 2014
Mossley, On
Laughing at how dumb you sound about Debrincat. He was passed over by every team for 15 rounds. Nobody wanted him. Erie was scouting another signed prospect and saw him and snagged him. Nothing wrong with that. But he was undrafted because he was supposedly bad not because he said I'm going to college or told teams he would only report to Erie. I don't believe London went after him. I believe Erie found him first and offered him. Maybe then London was interested

I'm talking about guys claiming they are going the college route and teams dramatically snag them late and they report 2 years later. Almost like a free agent

I just love how people can accuse teams of manipulating/cheating, yet then call people "dumb" for questioning their own team! And he wasn't even accusing you of anything, actually was giving Erie props for landing the player!

I get why teams like London are hated...but unless you have proof, it's all just nonsense. Was it not a London fan that started this thread???......Nice!!!

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I just love how people can accuse teams of manipulating/cheating, yet then call people "dumb" for questioning their own team! And he wasn't even accusing you of anything, actually was giving Erie props for landing the player!

I get why teams like London are hated...but unless you have proof, it's all just nonsense. Was it not a London fan that started this thread???......Nice!!!

Read my above post.
I just think he attacked me to begin with on original comment I made about "free agents"
He "sounded dumb" if you will because he wasn't getting the point. Debrincat was a free agent because nobody drafted him- no problem in that. Most guys who aren't drafted aren't going to have the impact he has. I'm talking college route kids.

Personally I feel a percentage of posters on this board probably get what I'm saying but won't care to get involved in the convo.. it's cool though I'll take the heat of people getting emotional at my comments. Fire away

Could you imagine if players who claimed college route couldn't enter league. and guys couldn't "demand trade".. If they didn't the team would recoup pick following year and that player that demanded trade would have to either play for that team or would be unable to play because his rights were already owned by team he chose not to sign with. I know wouldn't happen I get reasons why it wouldn't so don't really need the answers to it. But hypothetically if something similar was in place
Would London continue their run of success for 5-10 more years? Would Windsor? Would Erie? Nope. No team probably would. Consistently across the league would be almost a guarantee as long as teams/scouts were evaluating talent. And consistent teams would lead to players having no problem reporting to Sudbury or Flint or anywhere because the parity would exist everywhere.

Last edited:

Hockey Spy

Aug 3, 2011
www.hockeyspy.ca
It’s a well-known fact that Tier 2 Junior hockey has had more than its share of rich owners who invest in a team to ensure their son not only plays in the league, but plays often. To see that same situation occur in the high calibre Ontario Hockey League (OHL) is shocking to say the least.

It really doesn’t matter that the coach was quickly reinstated the following day. The damage has already been done. No use closing the barn door after all the horses, or in this case, all the Firebirds have left.

How dumb can one rich, egotistical, superficial, self-serving idiot of an owner be? Let me count the ways:

First of all, it makes an elite hockey league, respected around the world, look rather foolish.

Secondly, it makes the OHL’s recruiting battles against U.S. College hockey a little more challenging. You can be sure the vicious tug-a-war for players will see college recruiters reminding undecided prospects that “daddy†won’t be interfering with their development should they opt to go the college route ahead of the OHL.

In addition, the owner’s poor kid must be totally humiliated. As a rule, 17 year-old kids want to interact with their parents about as often as they want to interact with the swine flu virus. Along comes this kid’s daddy to ruin his kid’s chance to be accepted by his peer group as one of the boys. That should piss his son off for, oh, another 15 years or so.

Because his son is a defenceman, you can be sure that parents and/or player agents of kids playing the same position will shy away from allowing their guy to be traded or drafted to Flint for the foreseeable future. While the threat of a less than level playing field may no longer be there, the perception certainly is.

Not to mention the fact that the Flint team is a first year operation, having transferred the franchise from Plymouth to Flint over the summer. It’s going to be hard to sell potential new fans on the idea that the owner bought the team to reward the city with a new rallying point, when it is now quite obvious that he really bought the team to guarantee his son a place in the OHL.

League boss Dave Branch hightailed it into town today to do some damage control. But his fingerprints are all over this too. For years now, Branch has been more interested in turning the OHL into a big money machine, rather than give a damn about the slave-labour kids his operation manipulates in the process. Branch clearly brought this new owner into the OHL because he has deep pockets, failing to take notice of his rather shallow morals.

We’ve often been told that money can’t buy happiness. But a number of naïve rich people seem convinced that money can at least buy lots of ice time.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I'm talking about guys claiming they are going the college route and teams dramatically snag them late and they report 2 years later. Almost like a free agent

"Snagging them late", meaning that every other team had the opportunity to draft the kid, but didn't. London and Kitchener do have a history of drafting those kids, and while they've had some wins, they've also taken a hit when the kid chooses the NCAA.

Who exactly should we be pointing fingers at? The teams that take the chance, or the ones that don't?

Last edited:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
League boss Dave Branch hightailed it into town today to do some damage control. But his fingerprints are all over this too. For years now, Branch has been more interested in turning the OHL into a big money machine, rather than give a damn about the slave-labour kids his operation manipulates in the process. Branch clearly brought this new owner into the OHL because he has deep pockets, failing to take notice of his rather shallow morals.

We’ve often been told that money can’t buy happiness. But a number of naïve rich people seem convinced that money can at least buy lots of ice time.

You make some excellent points.

But enough with the slave labour BS. Last time I checked my history books, slaves weren't allowed to walk out.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
"Snagging them late", meaning that every other team had the opportunity to draft the kid, but didn't. London and Kitchener do have a history of drafting those kids, and while they've had some wins, they've also taken a hit when the kid chooses the NCAA.

Who exactly should we pointing fingers at? The teams that take the chance, or the ones that don't?

Exactly, take a chance. Knights did trade for McCarrons rights because someone else took a chance.
Realistically only 5-6 kids from any draft year will make your squad.
Have a place that's a desireable place to develop.

London's lost out on many kids as well

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
And Wayne Gretzky is not from north of Toronto, he's from a place west of it, unless your saying Orr is the best player of all-time.
Of course he's talking about Orr!
Why would you think he's talking about Gretzky?? :naughty:

Last edited:
Recent bad PR:

-A hockey team quitting.
-An ineligible player helps lead his team to victory just a couple weeks ago. The win stands.
-Has teams in two of the most dangerous cities in America as far as crime per capita is concerned.
-The Belleville situation. Hamilton gets their 1000th shot at a junior team. Surprise - no one is showing up.
-The Trafford situation.
-85% of the league deemed it no point in even bidding on the last Memorial Cup tourney held in Ontario. When his first choice wasn't good enough on the ice, same team hosts twice in nine years.

Oh and how about that life time banning of a player for a clean hit a few years back. Even Branch himself thought the hit was fine!

And these are just off the top of my head. What are some other egregious things that have happened under Branch's watch?

You do realize Dave Branch is President of the entire CHL as well...right?

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
The Flint situation was the OHL.. besides, we haven't heard these issues in the QMJHL and WHL. It's obvious Branch is destroying the league.. not the CHL in general, just the OHL.

I understand that Flint is in the OHL. My comment about the CHL was to encompass junior hockey in general develops more propects for the NHL than the NCAA does. The OHL also continues to produce talent for the NHL. Despite what you believe the OHL continues to be successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad