How much does "Physicality Matter"?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It’s easy to call a team “dirty”, but some of the plays were edgy. The Bellemare-Orlov and Schenn-Kuznetsov slash headline that, but naturally playoffs are in the edge. Let’s not call out teams or give out half-witted remarks because the capitals/Tom Wilson can fall under the “dirty” distinction easily.

My comment was the appropriation of the “wear down” factor of physical play. I can’t find the video, but I do remember Trotz hinting at the series being a reason why the Pittsburgh series didn’t go so well, however that may just be an excuse. Whether or not I’m remembering correctly that series was filled with physical play both ways. My point is that in games that matter, the playoffs, physical play can be the difference or make up the spread of skill. It’s pretty amazing just from looking at the rosters how PHI even managed to get 6 games out of that series.

Half witted? Excuse me?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Tell me the last hit you’ve seen.

Literally every game has hitting to some degree. Sharks/Bruins just now. Dunno who hit who but 3rd period.

I get it, you want every game to be a Scott Stevens highlight reel, but the game has never been that in actuality. There are fewer concussive mega-hits, sure, but there's still physicality.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I usually go by trends and bias.

The fact that last years stanley cup final was played by two of the heaviest teams in the NHL...tells me that it's still really important.

But its how you utilize it as well

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
It’s easy to call a team “dirty”, but some of the plays were edgy. The Bellemare-Orlov and Schenn-Kuznetsov slash headline that, but naturally playoffs are in the edge. Let’s not call out teams or give out half-witted remarks because the capitals/Tom Wilson can fall under the “dirty” distinction easily.

My comment was the appropriation of the “wear down” factor of physical play. I can’t find the video, but I do remember Trotz hinting at the series being a reason why the Pittsburgh series didn’t go so well, however that may just be an excuse. Whether or not I’m remembering correctly that series was filled with physical play both ways. My point is that in games that matter, the playoffs, physical play can be the difference or make up the spread of skill. It’s pretty amazing just from looking at the rosters how PHI even managed to get 6 games out of that series.
You can thank Neuvirth for extending that series.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Of the 16 teams currently in the playoffs, who would you consider to be the most physical?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It matters only so far as it takes you in terms of results.

If you're a physical player but you can't score, your corsi sucks, your goal differential sucks, and you take more penalties than you draw, it doesn't matter one damn bit that you're physical.

That goes for any skill. You can skate well and suck. You can pass well and suck. So on and so forth.

But for some reason, with physicality, we think of it as an end-goal, not as a skill. It's not a goal. It has no bearing on the game whatsoever without tangible results.

Folks will argue "intimidation" and "makes teammates play taller," but if you were that intimidating and your teammates played that much taller, the other team wouldn't kick your teeth in.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Literally every game has hitting to some degree. Sharks/Bruins just now. Dunno who hit who but 3rd period.

I get it, you want every game to be a Scott Stevens highlight reel, but the game has never been that in actuality. There are fewer concussive mega-hits, sure, but there's still physicality.
Incorrect. Stevens was a headhunter, while legal, I never agreed with. The game has changed. And not for the better. Look on you tube for “biggest hits of 2018”. Half of them are penalties.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Can a moderator please remove the quotations around 'physicality matters' in the thread title, as well as remove the inappropriate capitalizations? My OCD thanks you.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
All I know is every time the Isles "4th line" steps on the ice, the other team starts making alot of mistakes.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
To speak to the Boston example the biggest reason they have the Leafs number is because they play heavier, that just doesn't mean the same thing it did when they ragdolled the Canucks in 2011. It means winning battles, guys that compete at both ends of the ice, and a hundred other cliches that are all true. "Physicality" matters alot, but you don't need to be the 2011 Bruins or the cup winning Kings but if you aren't getting your hands dirty you aren't winning.
It leads me to think that in the regular season, it is much less a factor. In the playoff, they can try and run down the other team's players (legally). The teams sure switched things up with Pittsburgh (recent years) success. 2011 seems like a LONG time ago already....
I was watching how Samuel Morin (Flyers "prospect") spoke English, as it's said in another thread. He is a great example of the changes. He was saying he gained weight (for the 15-16 season). The Flyers had Pronger when they drafted him and saw him as a future heavy weight prospect. The league going toward quickness sure won't help him. There are other factor to his development, but ... the physicality did took a bit of a step back...

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Does physicality mean sticking up for you teammates?

I think it says a lot about a team when your guys get run, more than once, and not a single one of your teammates responds. I know this is new school ice hockey, but that would drive me insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad