How much does "Physicality Matter"?

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
One of the big topics in the NHL that gets talked about this time of year is physicality and playing heavy hockey. I find these types of topics get a ton of television analyst attention, and I think it gets blown out of proportion.

I think one of the reason it gets so much coverage is because TV analysts tend to be former players and managers that either were these types of players, or played in the era where these types of players could make the largest impact on the game.

I also think there are some misconceptions about teams because of hits. Boston isn't the wrecking ball team they used to be, they rely far more on high end skill than they do steam rolling their opponents physically, and their most physical players now are some of the contracts I am sure they wish they could have a mulligan on (Backes). I think it's a discredit to their skill level to pin their win against the Leafs in last years playoffs on them being more physical, and it had much more to do with them being a skilled team that executed on a good game plan.

I think being a heavy or physical team often gets thrown around just because a team is older. Washington won last year, and people praise them for finally "getting " playoff hockey, but the biggest contributors were still the players that were labeled as too soft in their previous playoffs. They do have some good physical players, but they always have, they just got recognized more for it because they won, not because they became more physical. They won because they were a good team who finally caught the right breaks at the right time in a sport that has a lot of randomness involved in it.

Obviously when you can get that player who is fantastically skilled while providing a physical presence, it's a great benefit, but this obsession with finding tough players rather than good ones seems completely out of touch in my opinion. The idea that a bottom six bruising forward, or a bottom pairing hard hitting D is going to be the difference between a team being a real contender or not seems very flawed, especially when we see time and time again that players rewarded for this type of play often become some of the most regrettable contracts in the NHL.

I am wondering what other people think on this topic. Is this something that gets overblown because people need things to talk about on TV? or do you think there is a drastic change in the way a playoff hockey is played that vastly increases the value of these types of players versus what they can do in the regular season?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Just ask guys like Pettersson if it matters.

You need a solid mix of skill and physicality, that doesn't mean you need someone who can go around destroying everyone. Just someone who can take hits or use their strength to win board battles, someone who won't get tossed aside when defending the puck, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Skill guys with physical presence are a huge asset (and no, that doesn't mean throwing huge hits or dropping the gloves). Look no further than Sidney Crosby.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It used to be super important, but nowadays it's not nearly as important. If you're too physical and deliver a big hit you'll get suspended and won't be able to help your team at all. But back in the 90s when they used to play manly hockey, there were big bad defensemen just waiting to take out your star players with stiff elbows to the head.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
To speak to the Boston example the biggest reason they have the Leafs number is because they play heavier, that just doesn't mean the same thing it did when they ragdolled the Canucks in 2011. It means winning battles, guys that compete at both ends of the ice, and a hundred other cliches that are all true. "Physicality" matters alot, but you don't need to be the 2011 Bruins or the cup winning Kings but if you aren't getting your hands dirty you aren't winning.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
physicality and playing heavy hockey don’t matter in the regular season but are huge in the playoffs. Over a 7 game series, when the intensity has ramped up, teams that come in waves shift after shift wear the other team down and it leads to turnovers (you also need skill to capitalize on those turnovers). Physicality IMO was a huge factor to why the Capitals beat the Lightning in the ECF.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It matters if they cant find a way to overcome it. If they can then it doesnt mean much, but if its an edge that helps you win then it definitely matters.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
It matters. The biggest thing I think of when I hear physicality now is players being able to protect the puck down low when cycling. People don’t understand how strong Sidney Crosby actually is. He’s what I think of when I think physicality for the modern game. People don’t understand how big he is either. His trainer stated 4-5 years ago that Sid is 210lbs. He’s known to be about 5’10 1/2. There is almost nobody that big pounds per inch. If you have the work ethic like Sid does to be heavy and in shape then it is an absolute advantage foresure, especially playoffs. It isn’t 100% necessary tho, you look at guys like Gadreau, Marner etc and they have elite lateral movements that allows them to avoid most physicality down low.

Reactions: IlikeEich

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think you need a team that can play through it if a game does get physical, but I don't think a team really needs to be built to punish opponents through size and physical play. You just cant be lacking to the point where it harms your team

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
you obviously need skilled players.

but in the playoffs physicality matters. The playoffs are a grind and the more physical teams wins more often than not

You need physicality in terms of hitting, winning board battles, being aggressive on the forecheck and maintaining possession. That's how you wear down teams and slow down skilled teams. When you wear a team down, they start making mistakes and thats when you can take advantage of them

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
you can't be just a straight up physical player anymore, you need some sort of skill.

The goons of the 90s are no more

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think being a heavy or physical team often gets thrown around just because a team is older. Washington won last year, and people praise them for finally "getting " playoff hockey, but the biggest contributors were still the players that were labeled as too soft in their previous playoffs.

What are you talking about??? Ovechkin, Tom Wilson, TJ Oshie, Yea, Kuzy is soft but Backstrom is a freaking load to play against game after game. You add Orpik who does damage every game to Carlson and Niskanen that are heavy to play against even if not huge hitters, you have a team that wore down every opponent they faced. The end of all 4 series were the same.

The Capitals were the biggest team in the NHL last season and they play like that.

Edit, you can make a fair case that the difference between the great teams that could get over the hump and last season was the elevation in Wilson's game and his increased role. That tipped them over the top.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What are you talking about??? Ovechkin, Tom Wilson, TJ Oshie, Yea, Kuzy is soft but Backstrom is a freaking load to play against game after game. You add Orpik who does damage every game to Carlson and Niskanen that are heavy to play against even if not huge hitters, you have a team that wore down every opponent they faced. The end of all 4 series were the same.

The Capitals were the biggest team in the NHL last season and they play like that.

including using their physical play to take out a more skilled team in Tampa

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
including using their physical play to take out a more skilled team in Tampa

Heavy comes in 2 forms. One his dealing out punishment. We know about Wilson. Ovechkin gets taken for granted now days. When a team's 1st defense pair has to deal with both of those players game after game the damage piles up. Oshie's physical play throughout the playoffs meant that the top 2 defensive pairs were dealing with that.

The 2nd form is just literal weight. The Caps were a huge team and game in and game out fighting with them in the corners and in front of the next just takes its toll. Backstrom will throw the occasional big hit, but he is a big man who is very strong on his skates. Battle him for pucks will tire players out.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The Blackhawks were outhit in probably every playoff series in 2010, 2013, 2014, and 2015, oftentimes by a very, very wide margin, and talk of "taking the body" was essentially the go-to pundit response for how teams could beat Chicago all four elite postseasons in question. Some even talked of how "no human could withstand that many hits," or something like that.

Turned out to be a load of malarkey. Physicality is nice from time to time, but the NHL has become exceedingly a skill- and speed-based game so physicality is one of the last things you should look at when it comes to building a roster.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
you obviously need skilled players.

but in the playoffs physicality matters. The playoffs are a grind and the more physical teams wins more often than not

You need physicality in terms of hitting, winning board battles, being aggressive on the forecheck and maintaining possession. That's how you wear down teams and slow down skilled teams. When you wear a team down, they start making mistakes and thats when you can take advantage of them

I'm going to slightly disagree with you. All that you listed is important, but I think in today's game speed can be just as effective as "physicality". Getting to the corner faster and being on the puck first can win you a board battle (or have it never really happen), getting in on the forecheck a second earlier, and using speed to maintain possesion are all ways to wear down an opponent.

I see your username is referring to the Neely/Bourque teams that played exactly like you mentioned, but the Bruins of today are more of a speed/skill team (Bergeron might be the perfect example of the new school type of player).

Like Scotty Bowman said: Nothing intimidates like speed.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Physicality is a tool. It is a means to an end, not an end in of itself.

Physicality can be used effectively.

So can speed.

So can stickwork.

So can vision and IQ.

So can persistence, stamina and dogged determination.

These are all tools than can be used effectively to win puck battles, maintain possession of the puck, defend and create chances.

There is nothing inherently special or critical about physicality.

Reactions: swedehollow

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
If you consider winning battles along the boards and in front of the net physical then yes. It’s nice to have some players be able to speed down and get odd man rushes or pass the puck around waiting for an opening but having someone be able to take the abuse and dish it out in front of the net in order to score deflections and rebounds is essential.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I coached a 12U team in a tournament around Christmas. We played a 10U that was playing up a division. Before the game when we saw them our players became giddy, they knew they'd be able to push the smaller kids around. Sure enough, we won every board battle and dominated the front of the net - both offence and defence. We lost 8-2.

Reactions: Baeron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad