How much do players in Juniors make OHL, ECHL ect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5HOLE

May 30, 2002
USA
some people its fact. i just say "rumor" to have gotten that much.
but really tho he was a sure bet to go to NCAA then out of nowhere hes playing in the OHL

Its been written by more than one person. From USHR (Oct. 2006): "The OHL, knowing that there just aren’t enough quality players in Ontario to stock all of its 20 teams, has ramped up its US recruiting. We saw the attention lavished on the Under-18 Team’s Patrick Kane who, by the way, is second in the league scoring with a 9-13-22 line. Kane turned down a full scholarship from BU, and got $200,000 from the Knights."

The article also states that Sam Gagner got $300,000 in the WHL.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
or they negotiate their own money deals and make life so much simpler as they do now.
does it make sense for a healthy scratch 16 yr old to make the same amount as 150pt scorer Kane? no it doesnt. thats exactly why they dont get paid the same amount.

It makes plenty of sense. At that level you should be playing to get ahead NOT to make money.

Canadians take hockey way too serious. Whats going to happen next? pay 12 yearold phenoms 50k?

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
What does that have to do with greed?

My whole point is some of you are saying its about "production" my point is these are unproven players. Every kid should be paid the same.

Hell I turned down minor league ball when I was 18 because I could make more working at a job then I would have playing ball in the summer. Everyone got the same except for what round/# pick you were and even the picks didnt make that much more. I was offered $300 bucks a week/$5,500 contract with a $1,500 bonus in A ball and we were all 18-21 years old. Every player I ever knew didnt expect or even talk about money, all they cared about was getting better and making it to the next level.

Thats why I find it ethically wrong to pay those kids mass amounts of money. You gotta earn your money and how are you going to earn money playing games in junior hockey with 16-18 year olds making more then some AHL players do? At that point you should be focusing on the future rather then "who's going to pay me the most".

I mean tell me how its fair that a guy like Kane was making more then some AHL players? "under the table" of course. and he wasnt even in pro hockey.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Its been written by more than one person. From USHR (Oct. 2006): "The OHL, knowing that there just aren’t enough quality players in Ontario to stock all of its 20 teams, has ramped up its US recruiting. We saw the attention lavished on the Under-18 Team’s Patrick Kane who, by the way, is second in the league scoring with a 9-13-22 line. Kane turned down a full scholarship from BU, and got $200,000 from the Knights."

Sam Gagner never played in the WHL. nor would the WHL even pay him to play anyways. maybe the TEAM would.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
It makes plenty of sense. At that level you should be playing to get ahead NOT to make money.

Canadians take hockey way too serious. Whats going to happen next? pay 12 yearold phenoms 50k?

he is ahead tho? 150 pt scorer deserve more money, a player like that helps the team sell tickets. a healthy scratch does **** all.

ok you crossed the line with that one. CANADIANS taking hockey serioulsy has absolutely nothing to do with paying a kid to come play for the team that drafted him. well sidney crosby never got 50K at 12 so i dont see your point? and why in Gods name would anyone even think to do that with a 12 yr old? pointless arugment.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
My whole point is some of you are saying its about "production" my point is these are unproven players. Every kid should be paid the same.

Hell I turned down minor league ball when I was 18 because I could make more working at a job then I would have playing ball in the summer. Everyone got the same except for what round/# pick you were and even the picks didnt make that much more. I was offered $300 bucks a week/$5,500 contract with a $1,500 bonus in A ball and we were all 18-21 years old. Every player I ever knew didnt expect or even talk about money, all they cared about was getting better and making it to the next level.

Thats why I find it ethically wrong to pay those kids mass amounts of money. You gotta earn your money and how are you going to earn money playing games in junior hockey with 16-18 year olds making more then some AHL players do? At that point you should be focusing on the future rather then "who's going to pay me the most".

I mean tell me how its fair that a guy like Kane was making more then some AHL players? "under the table" of course. and he wasnt even in pro hockey.

ok but that still has nothing to do with why Kane took out Esposito as #1 pick in the draft

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005

And this goes back to my original point. Someone reads this, it gets repeated, and is quoted as truth. Is this Bob Turow writing this? I really shouldn't have to explain why this wouldn't be taken seriously.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
ok but that still has nothing to do with why Kane took out Esposito as #1 pick in the draft

That is the point.

It's almost as if going pro doesnt even matter because they are already making top dollar playing in a mock NHL.

Production should have nothing to do with pay scale in juniors/minors.

No wonder why kids come into the NHL with bad attitudes IE Daigle, Lindros ect.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
he is ahead tho? 150 pt scorer deserve more money, a player like that helps the team sell tickets. a healthy scratch does **** all.

ok you crossed the line with that one. CANADIANS taking hockey serioulsy has absolutely nothing to do with paying a kid to come play for the team that drafted him. well sidney crosby never got 50K at 12 so i dont see your point? and why in Gods name would anyone even think to do that with a 12 yr old? pointless arugment.

Production should have nothing to do with pay scale at that level of hockey.

That would be like paying some 16-18 yearold kid at Mcdonalds based on howmany burgers he/she sells or cooks.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Limited Career

That is the point.

It's almost as if going pro doesnt even matter because they are already making top dollar playing in a mock NHL.

Production should have nothing to do with pay scale in juniors/minors.

No wonder why kids come into the NHL with bad attitudes IE Daigle, Lindros ect.

The CHL career is limited by age.

I don't see the link that you see with production. At any level hockey is about putting paying customers in the seats and generating revenues. Some do it with skills, others do it with brawn, others do it with personality, etc.

Issue is what is a fair players' share of the generated revenues and is this "fair share"
to be split equally or based on some form(s) of merit.

In the QMJHL the Remparts drew over 400,000 people this season, averaged over 11,000 per game. With admissions, food, souvenir and other concessions, plus televison and radio rights, board and program advertising plus misc revenue streams
they should have gross revenues approaching $15,000,000.

What percentage represents player salaries? At the published league rates = peanuts.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
That is What McDonald's Does

Production should have nothing to do with pay scale at that level of hockey.

That would be like paying some 16-18 yearold kid at Mcdonalds based on howmany burgers he/she sells or cooks.

Sorry but if the kid does not keep up with the McDonald's assembly line he/she is out of a job. Since the assembly line cannot be supercharged = if you have a fast kid the french fries or burgers will not cook faster nor will the drinks poor faster, the kid is effectively paid for what is produced.

Conversely in a fast food pizza restaurant if the pizza maker can produce a few extra
pizzas per hour they earn more regardless of age.

kivaerijo

Apr 14, 2007
EastNashville
Lets start with the fact that they are KIDS? They arent pro athletes and just giving them 100k to play at 16-17 is wrong. It teaches them to be greedy especially when they lure them away from college. At that age they sould be learning hockey not "money".

Now I admire Toews even more. I wonder what they offered him to play? Im sure he was offered 50-75 grand if Kane was offered 100.

Anyone who thinks that 100k to play hockey when you're 16 is fine is most likely 16.

Pay some 300-400 a week, thats ok but to favor other players with cars and lots of money?

literally was looking for wages in junior leagues, and saw this post about kane a little funnier now. apparently he was taught greed. even when its 20 cents.

i did want to ask what kind of signing bonuses/if any they get as well when drafted?

mfurta15

May 20, 2010
The ECHL isn't a junior league, in case the OP didn't know that.

I played for Hampton Roads of ECHL in the early 90's , the team consisted of 12 forwards , 8 d and 2 goalies but all you could dress was 9 forwards 6 d and 2 goalies.

As a first year player it was 350 per week cash(No taxes in the check) but was 1099at the end of the year , 250 per week if you did not play the week prior. it was pretty simple , if you made the team you got a 350.00 for making it and I lived in a aprtment with 3 other guys for nothing.

During the year it was like playing football , you played on FRI , SAT and sometimes on SUNDAY afternoons ,you would have monday and tuesdays off and all you did was skate around and ride the BIKE during week just to keep your legs in shape , playing 3 lines in 20 minute period is nuts but that is how it was played

I did 2 years in the ECHL and 4 in DIV 1 NCAA , My future wife( Girlfriend at the time)
gave me an ultimatum and 6 years on a bus is very hard , I will end on this note , some of the bus rides home were some of the best times I ever had, we would get home at 8 or 9 am on a Sunday morning and we would have to take taxi's home... We were classified as adults and professionals but all it was just an extension of college.... it was GREAT

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
The CHL career is limited by age.

I don't see the link that you see with production. At any level hockey is about putting paying customers in the seats and generating revenues. Some do it with skills, others do it with brawn, others do it with personality, etc.

Issue is what is a fair players' share of the generated revenues and is this "fair share"
to be split equally or based on some form(s) of merit.

In the QMJHL the Remparts drew over 400,000 people this season, averaged over 11,000 per game. With admissions, food, souvenir and other concessions, plus televison and radio rights, board and program advertising plus misc revenue streams
they should have gross revenues approaching $15,000,000.

What percentage represents player salaries? At the published league rates = peanuts.
That sounds about right for the Remparts, certainly at least $10MM annual revenues. I know for a fact Esposito received $500K for his first two seasons - 16 and 17 years old. I am not sure of his compensation as an 18 and 19 year old. There are ways to pay the players - and most top end kids slated to be high first round NHL picks get significant money.

If an owner thinks a star player can ensure an additional 1,000 fans per game (or help keep a packed barn and not lose 1,000 fans), the quick math is as follows. Roughly 50 home games including pre-season, regular season and playoffs. If each fan spends a minimum of $20 per game, that is $1MM in revenue. Paying a star low six figures to ensure a $1MM in revenue makes business sense.

That doesn't mean it should happen - but it does and not sure if/when it will stop anytime soon.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Complete ********. Its rumours that have no proof, and there will never be proof. If a player is good enough to warrant an OHL team recruiting them from an American University, than they will make plenty once they got to the NHL.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
Complete ********. Its rumours that have no proof, and there will never be proof. If a player is good enough to warrant an OHL team recruiting them from an American University, than they will make plenty once they got to the NHL.
Of course someone cannot show you a cashed check to prove it to you. If that is the only type of proof that will convince you, no one will convince you.

The fact remains that these extra money deals violate the player contracts, but these deal happen - often - and money is paid to the player's family, often though a circuitous route and managed by their agent. It is the dirty secret of the CHL.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Of course someone cannot show you a cashed check to prove it to you. If that is the only type of proof that will convince you, no one will convince you.

The fact remains that these extra money deals violate the player contracts, but these deal happen - often - and money is paid to the player's family, often though a circuitous route and managed by their agent. It is the dirty secret of the CHL.

It's not a fact if there's no proof. Teams, even the rich ones don't pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to draw University bound kids to play for them.

If it was happening there would be more than just rumours created by people close to the NCAA who want a reason for why they're best players go to Canada as proof.

I remember when Kitchener was going to sue an NCAA for claiming Kitchener was paying players large sums of money to come play. Can't remember when but I know the writer pulled his comments

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
Believe what you want. It happens and all the inner circle in hockey on both sides of the border know it. Jeff Jackson from Notre Dame - who used to coach in the OHL - made several comments about it in public. Others probably won't go there because it is tough to make a claim without having the smoking gun paper trail or bank statements and without that it sounds like sour grapes.

The big market CHL teams have the resources to make these deals happen as per earlier posts by members in this thread. I know several NCAA coaches but more importantly on the proof side I know several player agents who represent CHL and NCAA players and have brokered such deals for clients - the marquee potential 1st round NHL picks.

If that is not enough proof for you, well suit yourself.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
It's incredibly naive to think star players don't get paid. Reminds me of the people in America who swear up and down that college recruits don't get paid then you see the facts of the Reggie Bush case, for example, come out. I have friends who come from poor black neighborhoods, raised by single mothers who work two minimum wage jobs and they roll around in brand new Range Rovers and have $100,000 watches. Open your eyes.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
As a Canadian living in the US, I have often tried to explain to folks down here about the whole junior hockey concept. One buddy after getting up to speed on the issue remarked how crazy it would be if basketball in the US had a junior type program during the school year that replaced high school basketball. I know there is AAU ball but junior hockey in Canada draws enough fans so that players can be paid by teams, not by agents/handlers hoping to cash in later like in hoops and football in the US.

Imagine how much Lebron James would have been offered as a 16 year old if there was a junior basketball program with 10,000 fans watching each game...

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Believe what you want. It happens and all the inner circle in hockey on both sides of the border know it. Jeff Jackson from Notre Dame - who used to coach in the OHL - made several comments about it in public. Others probably won't go there because it is tough to make a claim without having the smoking gun paper trail or bank statements and without that it sounds like sour grapes.

The big market CHL teams have the resources to make these deals happen as per earlier posts by members in this thread. I know several NCAA coaches but more importantly on the proof side I know several player agents who represent CHL and NCAA players and have brokered such deals for clients - the marquee potential 1st round NHL picks.

If that is not enough proof for you, well suit yourself.

I knew you would use his comments. Except...
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=18554657

And Jackson never coached an OHL team who could afford to pay players to come play for them. So he wouldn't know first hand either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad