Speculation: How much damage has the Alfredsson fiasco done to the Sens reputation?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Right, everything was negotiated up and decided when the 08-9 season started, a year before he could have gone to UFA. That $2.09m went to his first year (so 9m) and the rest as you say. Much more than the 20m w/ huge signing bonuses as an aging player? Alfie had to get out of that contract b/c 3.8m was risky.

Not sure what you mean by much more than $20M, the total contract was worth $19.5M, all inclusive. For cap purposes the $2M didn't count, not sure why, but it didn't.

The $2M was the Sens offering an incentive to Alfie to scrap the contract that existed. It wasn't Alfie trying to get out of the contract at all, it was the Sens not wanting him to opt out and become a free agent.

While you may think he was an aging player, Alfie would have received more than the Sens offer had he become a free agent.

Just consider the Wings gave him more as a 41 year old, in a down cap year, than the Sens were paying him in 2008/9.

Based on opinions on this board, Detroit management is second to none in the NHL, so it is safe to say Alfie is a valued asset still.

Last edited:

The Fuhr*

Many people just want a sugar daddy for an owner it seems.

I believe Canadian market teams should be able to out spend 80% of American teams.

Serious issues if a Canadian market team can't do that.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I believe Canadian market teams should be able to out spend 80% of American teams.

Ottawa obviously has issues, not only can't they outspend 80% of their American counterparts, they can't even charge as much for tickets as 75% of the American teams.

At the same time, it seems some fans expect more freebies to justify the prices they are paying.

Not a good combination.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Not sure what you mean by much more than $20M, the total contract was worth $19.5M, all inclusive. For cap purposes the $2M didn't count, not sure why, but it didn't.

The $2M was the Sens offering an incentive to Alfie to scrap the contract that existed. It wasn't Alfie trying to get out of the contract at all, it was the Sens not wanting him to opt out and become a free agent.
They didn't want him to opt out of the new contract I believe, using a clause in the old contract. It still doesn't take away the fact that he got 9m in total. The 2m did count (as buyout I believe).

While you may think he was an aging player, Alfie would have received more than the Sens offer had he become a free agent.
He put up 74 points in 79 games the summer before UFA, he was aging. I have a hard to believing he'd get more than 7m a year at that point. Though I'm using hindsight here I suppose since if he was UFA earlier, he might have gotten a bit more than 20m.

Just consider the Wings gave him more as a 41 year old, in a down cap year, than the Sens were paying him in 2008/9.
The cap has risen since then, and and we know he's aged gracefully, something we wouldn't know then.

The truth is the truth, and for me I don't have enough to say what the truth is. But I'm sympathetic to the Sens management in the sense that if they were able to, they would have met the demands of Alfie, because they were accommodating before. And I'm sympathetic to Alfie as well as he would have stayed here easily if he thought in his mind the Sens were fair. It was an honest disagreement imo.

The Fuhr*

Ottawa obviously has issues, not only can't they outspend 80% of their American counterparts, they can't even charge as much for tickets as 75% of the American teams

That's brutal... Canadian hockey teams should not be small market with the dollar on par with the American dollar.

I could understand when the dollar was at 67cents but now, no way.

The Fuhr*

He put up 74 points in 79 games the summer before UFA, he was aging. I have a hard to believing he'd get more than 7m a year at that point. Though I'm using hindsight here I suppose since if he was UFA earlier, he might have gotten a bit more than 20m.

A 35 year old Shane Doan coming off a season of 79GP 22G 50Pts got 4Yrs at a 5.2 cap hit

Alfie would have got more then that easy

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
A 35 year old Shane Doan coming off a season of 79GP 22G 50Pts got 4Yrs at a 5.2 cap hit
Right I'm sure he could have eeked out 7.5-8 at 37 years of age, as opposed to 6.8, but the Sens could have taken a chance and got him at 3.8m. I'm trying to say that the Sens were trying to help Alfie out then and gave him what was fair.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
LOL, some of you folks seem to thrive on drama, like it even more than you enjoy watching hockey it seems.

There will be no "damage", give me a break. Alfie is hardly the first captain or good player to move on to another team, the NHL goes on.

As for this budget and outspending other teams, who cares. Do you know how many GMs would love to have this Sens team and their payroll?...most of them.

Who would you want them to spend money on, Clarkson, Alfie? I was interested in Clarkson when I heard Murray was talking to him, but as soon as I saw the term I thought thank goodness he didn't sign here.

The Sens have a good, talented young team, it will be fun to watch them develop.If they grow as expected, this will be a cap team in no time.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

Agreed. What irks me is the sense of entitlement. You don't have to believe everything Melnyk says to get an inkling of the financial pressure the franchise is under.

Figuratively tar and feathering the Euge or withholding support for the franchise on the basis of unsubstantiated speculation or because he simply doesn't have the wherewithal anymore to both cover the losses and spend $60-odd million dollars trying to build the fans ideal of a champion is just silly IMO.

Very much like a gold-digger who's looking to ditch her sugar daddy when said daddy can't buy her diamonds no mo'. She doesn't realize that she's still relatively secure and well provided for but she's gotten used to a certain lifestyle you see. If someone else were to present themselves with deeper pockets, well, the old fella will just have to find somewhere else to get his rocks off, hein? To hell with him.

Personally, I'm very excited about next years team. Think they're building something special, bargain roster and all. For whatever reason Alfie didn't want to be a part of that anymore. He wanted the organization to spend large too despite the lack of guarantee the team would be any better than currently. Compensation for playing at $1mm last year? Give me a break. Alfie's a smart fella. Whatever promises he thought he received when he added that extra $1mm dollar year he should have known that the circumstances would alter when a) he decided not to retire after all and b) his previously life-long team with a history of financial trouble found themselves working against an internal cap in an effort to remain solvent. Like every player is just an innocent lickspittle who can't figure out that the game he plays is also big business. Oh they know, don't worry. He chose to wash his hands after what he laughably calls "negotiations" and mosey on to "greener" ($) pastures.

Well fine. Well within his rights. Pack your bags homeboy, nice knowing you, much respect, I think you're wrong, but much respect. Huge loss for the team. Very messy breakup, but will it have an effect on our image in attracting future FA's, around the league? Hard to say for sure but I'm definitely leaning towards a big no there. The key, as it's always been, is to keep on winning. And by every other measure we're a completely first class organization, so, like, whatever man.

tumblr_mctsuudNNH1qfrl4t.jpg

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The Doctor & Quo...incredibly well said. Amazing posts. :handclap:

For 90% of the players, it's all about winning...and the other 10% (cough, Nathan "I want to go where I'm invisible and collect a big paycheque for doing nothing" Horton), you don't want anywhere near your team.

When Ottawa hits contender status in 2-3 years, players will be breaking down the door to be a part of it. :yo:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The Doctor & Quo...incredibly well said. Amazing posts. :handclap:

For 90% of the players, it's all about winning...and the other 10% (cough, Nathan "I want to go where I'm invisible and collect a big paycheque for doing nothing" Horton), you don't want anywhere near your team.

When Ottawa hits contender status in 2-3 years, players will be breaking down the door to be a part of it. :yo:

They could be a contender this year if they stay healthy.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
They could be a contender this year if they stay healthy.

..and if Alfie stayed.

I kid, I kid.
Ottawa will be fine.

In regards to attracting big-name FA's. We've never been able to do it. It's hard for most Canadian markets. Most don't want to deal with taxes, pressure, and climate (take your pick).

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
I don't really care if this team never makes big splashes on free agency. There's rarely any good players available and they are almost always overpaid. Signing the good underrated players like MacArthur is the way to go. Cheap and effective.

It's resigning our own players that is the problem. Once top players hit UFA you either play them big money or they go elsewhere.

I don't think we will be seeing many (if at all) hometown discounts.

I don't think it's due to the Alfie scenario but rather the lockout. I think the players will almost never give the owners any favors and the NHLPA(under Fehr) will push players and agents to get the maximum salary they can and push salaries up for everyone else in the future.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
It's resigning our own players that is the problem. Once top players hit UFA you either play them big money or they go elsewhere.

Big money's definitely going to be a concern for our upcoming FA, but I also worry about the impact of a player of Alfie's stature going through what he went through. I'm sure you guys remember Spezza's interview where he mentioned he knew Alfie's reasoning and understood it, but wasn't willing to divulge it to the media. You think that hearing Alfie's side didn't give Spezza pause about his future here? Obviously the money is going to be the first thing to worry about, but you never know. Don't forget we lost Chara partially due because of the Muckler treated Hossa.

Herping Derps*

To all those posters saying "too bad for Alfie, he chose to play that last year at $1m", and ergo, didn't deserve 7 this year:

Think back to all the injuries we had last year, and how well we did in spite of it.
Sure, Anderson was a huge difference maker, but you're trying to tell me the team would have weathered the storm nearly as well without Alfie? I call BS.

He co- carried the team last year. And this team's future would not be so optimistic this year had we not made the playoffs - courtesy of his 0.5 PPG last season with a bunch of AHLers and rookies.

As usual, Alfie stepped up, and played his usual clutch game (in his 40's no less), while a bunch of young guns around him making a hell of a lot more than we was were either out injured, or trying to find their groove.

Don't let your memories be so short, or heart so cold, that a player like that doesn't deserve to be compensated.

Where would the sens be this season if Alfie hadn't mentored the team last year?

Liliaceae

hockey
Jun 21, 2007
Canada
'Probably not'. Great motivation right there! :handclap: :sarcasm:

The season can't start fast enough. Can't wait for their(wings/alfredsson) ***** to get kicked. The Sens better not lay down and let him away with stuff on the ice.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Don't be silly! Ottawa will be rebuilding by then! :sarcasm:

Seriously as much as I will miss Alfie, he is getting older, and the SENS got a lot younger by replacing him with Ryan.

In a nut shell, we lost 2 Swedes and picked up to N.A. players! :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad