How much could NHL team pay for a European player?

Mayuu

Mar 10, 2017
If there was no transfer agreement, the NHL would simply go the same route that they do with the KHL. They would still draft the players as the European leagues have no control over how a players NHL rights get determined (just like how the KHL drafts NHL/CHL players), and if the players want to stay over there, that's up to them. But the money is in the NHL and everyone knows it... which means ultimately the players will come to the NHL all on their own. They might stay in Europe for an extra year or three... but eventually - and sooner than later the good ones will come over. And when that happens, just like the KHL today, the European leagues will get nothing.

Now what's better... getting $200,000 a player and losing them at 18-22 or not getting the 200k and losing them at 20-23?

They eventually do end up in NHL no doubt, and no one blames them for wanting to go there, it's every players dream and goal.

You have to understand that $200k is split among the teams the players represented the last three years, and then some because of SIHF regulations to make sure grassroots hockey teams get funding as well.

Lets take some players leaving under contract in recent year from my team Frolunda.

Tom Nilsson leaving for Marlies with X years left on his contract, getting $200k for that is a great deal for Frolunda.
Mattias Janmark left after the Dallas camp two years ago with some year or so left on his contract, still an OK deal but he's worth way more then $200k
Arttrui Lehkonen, signed a one year extension with the team but then signed with Montreal six months later, worth way more then $200k.
Alexander Wennberg, same deal one year left on contract signed by CBJ. $200k

Now these are just the top of my head and i imagine there's some lesser known contracted players in SHL teams that gets signed in NHL, there are probably great deals for the SHL.

But just looking at this season for Frolunda there's Carl Grundstrom (potential top-6 winger in Toronto) and Viktor Olofsson, Lias Andersson just to name a few.

Next year there's Rasmus Dahlin and the list will just go on..

$200k is jack **** compared to what these guys bring to the NHL and i'd rather see these players play out their contracts with the SHL teams or sign shorter cheaper contracts in the first place.. or if the NHL really wanna buy out a player like Rasmus Dahlin, they better pay his market value.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
You might want to pass that onto the NBA since they still pay the Europeans nicely to buy out the existing contracts. :laugh:

How much does the NBA currently pay? Last I saw it was $600k.

Comparing the # of European basketball players that come to the NBA vs hockey players to the NHL I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL is paying more in total.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The NHL does not care about European hockey, they are only interesting in one thing – the players. But can you imagine that if there was a transfer of leading FC Barcelona´s player to Mancherster United, the MU would pay a sum which is equal to the player´s one month salary? You even dont buy a player from Eastern Europe for such a marginal sum (in soccer). In hockey nobody has ever wanted to establish transfer rules. We have always heard only one thing – the NHL is the best and greatest league and nothing can be done. Have anybody tried to understand how it works in NBA or MLB? How much money they pay for European, Asian or Latin American players? But paying for future stars of Kuznetsov´s or Laine´s calibre a sum which is two times lower than NHL player´s minimal salary or even leaving a player (to NHL club) for „thank you“ is normal?

KHL leadership asked me a few years ago how it is possible to make a transfer of a player with valid NHL contract to Russian club. Radulov´s way of „transfer“ from Nashville to Salavat Yulaev was unacceptable of course. I was sadden then, but I studied NHL-NHL CBA for next couple of months, it is 600 pages. Then I got an idea that if a player retires from the NHL, he is free to sign in his Motherland. I called to several influential agents to consult the situation. They said me that they heard about such a scenario for the first time. I said to the KHL leadership what I found out and a half o year later, SKA signed Ilya Kovalchuk. If the people want to do something, they will do it. If they don´t want, they will not.

Are NHL clubs willing to pay for transfers?

If there are proper rules, they will. In early 90´s, when horrible things happened in Russia, the NHL clubs directly contacted Dynamo Moscow to pay solid sums, at the time, to Dynamo for their players. I remember how Ottawa paid 700 000 USD for Alexei Yashin in 1992. It was a very good sum at the time. Average NHL salary was two times lower at the time. So, NHL clubs paid money for Dynamo´s players, but CSKA´s players simply run away. How much money did NHL clubs pay to Russian clubs for Tarasenko, Panarin or Bobrovsky? I am sure, in better case, it was „thank you.“

Igor Kuperman
Former Winnipeg Jets and Phoenix Coyotes official

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The NHL does not care about European hockey, they are only interesting in one thing – the players. In hockey nobody has ever wanted to establish transfer rules. We have always heard only one thing – the NHL is the best and greatest league and nothing can be done. Have anybody tried to understand how it works in NBA or MLB? How much money they pay for European, Asian or Latin American players? But paying for future stars of Kuznetsov´s or Laine´s calibre a sum which is two times lower than NHL player´s minimal salary or even leaving a player (to NHL club) for „thank you“ is normal?

Actually, the KHL didn't even get any money for Kuznetsov coming to the NHL - they do not have any transfer agreements with the NHL. So he came over for free (THANK YOU!). Laine's team received 200k (or as explained above a portion of that).

If they wanted to, teams could pay KHL teams now for players. However collectively they've decided not to, and that they will wait for those players to become free agents in the KHL and for the players to come over to the NHL voluntarily. Which results in the KHL teams receiving nothing. If the other European teams did the same thing, the NHL would again just wait out the players, like they do with the KHL teams.

Are NHL clubs willing to pay for transfers?

If there are proper rules, they will. In early 90´s, when horrible things happened in Russia, the NHL clubs directly contacted Dynamo Moscow to pay solid sums, at the time, to Dynamo for their players. I remember how Ottawa paid 700 000 USD for Alexei Yashin in 1992. It was a very good sum at the time. Average NHL salary was two times lower at the time.

Too bad that was 25 years ago, and in the time since, the NHL owners have prohibited teams from going this route. So the KHL teams get ****, while the rest of the European teams get $200,000. Might not be much, but considering that the players will be coming to the NHL regardless (just like the Russians do), it's a lot more than the KHL teams get.

Bottom line is this. The NHL is being a bully here, simply because they know they can be. And from a business point of view, it makes perfect sense. There's little reason to pay for any player to come to the NHL, as eventually they'll come all on their own for free. Having transfer rules makes things easier for the NHL, even if they have to pay a little money. But at no point will the NHL allow themselves to get into some sort of bidding war to 'buy players' from other leagues. This isn't European soccer where there's multiple leagues and dozens of teams looking to acquire said player... in professional hockey there's only two leagues that pay worth a **** and the best and highest paying one is the NHL. Which means the players will come to the NHL all on their own. Just like Kuznetsov and Panarin did. And just like many many more will. But I'm sure that the NHL is thankful that the KHL doesn't want to sign the transfer agreement... just think of how much money the KHL is saving the NHL. :laugh:

So no, there will NEVER be any sort of huge reward for European teams for their players, simply because it's unnecessary.

Last edited:

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
How much does the NBA currently pay? Last I saw it was $600k.

Comparing the # of European basketball players that come to the NBA vs hockey players to the NHL I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL is paying more in total.

The Suns payed over a million to get Dragan Bender out his contract with Tel Aviv.

NBA can expect to pay more since they can only hold rights to international players for 3 years before they become free agents.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They eventually do end up in NHL no doubt, and no one blames them for wanting to go there, it's every players dream and goal.

You have to understand that $200k is split among the teams the players represented the last three years, and then some because of SIHF regulations to make sure grassroots hockey teams get funding as well.
But just looking at this season for Frolunda there's Carl Grundstrom (potential top-6 winger in Toronto) and Viktor Olofsson, Lias Andersson just to name a few.

Next year there's Rasmus Dahlin and the list will just go on..

$200k is jack **** compared to what these guys bring to the NHL and i'd rather see these players play out their contracts with the SHL teams or sign shorter cheaper contracts in the first place.. or if the NHL really wanna buy out a player like Rasmus Dahlin, they better pay his market value.

While you're not wrong... do the SHL teams feel the same way? Do they feel that the 100-200k that they're getting for losing X player is worth it? Not sure what their revenues are like, but when the highest payroll I saw (at least on the list I looked at) was 5m, the transfer money is still covering a small percentage of their expenses.

Is that revenue that the team needs? Does that revenue make up (or exceed their losses) for losing X player?

I don't want to hammer on the SHL, but how much money does 100k (or whatever it is that they actually receive from the 200k) actually mean to them financially? What happens if you're talking about 2-3 players who played depth roles? Now you're talking about a decent chunk of change for players who are more easily replaceable.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Which basically comes from the Suns pocket.

There are ways the skirt the agreement. Nobody is fooled that teh Suns only paid 650K.

Bender is on a rookie contract with salary fixed based on his draft position. In theory at some point down the road the Suns could sign him to a larger deal then he's worth to give him an extra $650k, though that's years away from possibly happening.

Educate me how teams are skirting the agreement.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Which basically comes from the Suns pocket.

There are ways the skirt the agreement. Nobody is fooled that teh Suns only paid 650K.

That is exactly what happened to Lehterä/Sibir/St.Louis. Letherä had a contract with Sibir Novosibirsk (KHL) for one more year, but he terminated it & had to pay a financial compensation (2/3 of remaining of his KHL deal) to Sibir & he signed with STL. STL paid him singing bonus as you can see below, which was used to pay his Sibir´s buyout. That is a reply to Riptide, if Lehterä played in another Euro league, he could go to STL without paying anything to "his" Euro club. Of course, "his" Euro club would get 200k from NHL, but ... Lehterä paid more to Sibir than 200k, maybe all singing bonus (1,6 million).What is better deal now?

Source for termination of his Sibir deal (in RUS).

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Bender is on a rookie contract with salary fixed based on his draft position. In theory at some point down the road the Suns could sign him to a larger deal then he's worth to give him an extra $650k, though that's years away from possibly happening.

For starters, you didn't read the article as the money will be coming out of his current contract

An NBA team can contribute up to $650,000 to an international buyout for a player picked in the first round. The remaining $650,000 will be paid by Bender in a second installment at a later, undisclosed date and will come out of his rookie scale contract.

He's paying through his current contract, not something that comes out down the road. The Suns know this and have no problem using Bender as a vehicle to ensure that Tel-Aviv gets its money. The Tel Aviv front office knows that money is coming from the Suns and not Bender and they are happy as the money is coming to them now rather than through a new deal.

The Suns wanted him early and there's a reason why the legal teams get paid so much to make these deals. The Blazers showed how when they spent $1.5 Million to get Drazen Petrovic out of his Real Madrid contract.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For starters, you didn't read the article as the money will be coming out of his current contract

He's paying through his current contract, not something that comes out down the road. The Suns know this and have no problem using Bender as a vehicle to ensure that Tel-Aviv gets its money. The Tel Aviv front office knows that money is coming from the Suns and not Bender and they are happy as the money is coming to them now rather than through a new deal.

The Suns wanted him early and there's a reason why the legal teams get paid so much to make these deals. The Blazers showed how when they spent $1.5 Million to get Drazen Petrovic out of his Real Madrid contract.

The Suns are paying Bender the exact same amount on his rookie contract as they would have if there were no buyout fee. i.e. The Suns are not paying anything above and beyond the $650k fee. The rest of the buyout fee is coming out of Bender's pocket. Obviously the rookie contract is going to be where Bender gets the money from, but make no mistake this is a case of Bender making less money due to the termination fee rather then the Suns paying more money then the initial $650k.
An NBA team can contribute up to $650,000 to an international buyout for a player picked in the first round. The remaining $650,000 will be paid by Bender in a second installment at a later, undisclosed date and will come out of his rookie scale contract.

The Petrovic transfer predates the NBA imposing limits on transfer fees.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That is exactly what happened to Lehterä/Sibir/St.Louis. Letherä had a contract with Sibir Novosibirsk (KHL) for one more year, but he terminated it & had to pay a financial compensation (2/3 of remaining of his KHL deal) to Sibir & he signed with STL. STL paid him singing bonus as you can see below, which was used to pay his Sibir´s buyout. That is a reply to Riptide, if Lehterä played in another Euro league, he could go to STL without paying anything to "his" Euro club. Of course, "his" Euro club would get 200k from NHL, but ... Lehterä paid more to Sibir than 200k, maybe all singing bonus (1,6 million).What is better deal now?

Source for termination of his Sibir deal (in RUS).

And yet the NHL still didn't give the KHL ****. That was Lehtera who paid them. Others have done the same (Plotnikov in 2016). But again, that's coming from the player, not NHL teams. You can speculate all you want about how Lehtera paid his Russian club to let him out of his contract, but it's irrelevant to the NHL, because it's not NHL teams paying the KHL in a bidding war.

I also suspect that if you were to add up all the contracts that players have "bought out" to get out of their KHL deals to come to the NHL and what the KHL would have received in transfer fee's that they'd come out ahead if they'd been getting transfer fee's.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Yeah the NHL teams get away very very cheap. They have little of a bully system going on with the draft etc, the draft kind of take away the open market value of a player. Now the players are lock to the team, so why should they pay then, the player will not go to a different league or team anyway uneless the team agree on it.

But if there where no draft, no agreements between the leagues etc, but instead there where a open market like on football, where all teams in NHL fight over the best talents, then i think the transfer for the biggest talents under contract from europe could be massive. Maybe like 10-30m if not more for the biggest talents (that would have gone like top 3 in the draft).

But now NHL have the bully system in place where they take full advantage of them being the one league every player wants to go to (never understood why KHL mimic the draft system, it only works if you have the by far the best league, if not, a draft system only works against you).

No. Football is a closed market because every team is part of FIFA.

the NHL can do whatever it wants because it's not a member of the IIHF.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In Finland any player could be sold for ~500k. Or lock it for the NHL salary minimum.

Imo, that's a fair sum and peanuts for an NHL organization. ~200k seems to feel too low.

With that money you can hire 2x 1st line players to replace anybody.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
All problem with international transfers started in early 90s when the NHL was too stong, all Euros moving to the NHL. Of course the NHL did not want to pay anything for Euros to European clubs, so IIHF transfer rules had to be changed in favor of the NHL. And the NHL could afford to force IIHF & Euro federations to do it, because the NHL knew the league had the best conditions for players (salaries, level of play). Now IIHF transfer rules say that all IIHF member clubs (not NHL) have to respect a player´s contract with another IIHF member club. If a player under contract wants to move to another IIHF club, both clubs have to agree on transfer fee. But when player wants to move to NHL, his IIHF club has no right to negotiate a transfer fee with NHL club, because player´s Euro/IIHF contract is terminated per se (if there is a transfer agrement with NHL). This happened to Hertl who had a contract with Slavia Prague for one more year & the team did not want to release him from the contract, but Czech hockey federation signed NHL transfer agreement, so Slavia had no right to keep Hertl in the team (or to negotiate a transfer fee with Sharks). So there is no contractual stability for European clubs, they have no right to keep a player who has valid contract for next season/s & have no right to negotiate a transfer fee with NHL club (because it is normal if a player under contract wants to go to NHL, no problem, but transfer fee must be achieved between both clubs). All in all, Euro players used to situation when they can move to NHL whenever they want & Euro club can not keep them. Similar happened to Tatar & Malkin, who simply run away (because there was no NHL transfer agreement at the time). Russians did not have problem with Malkin moving to NHL, they just wanted one milion USD or so for him. There is still no transfer agreement between NHL & KHL, so the same situation as in Malkins RSL times, but both leagues honor players contracts. That is a BIG DEAL, because the NHL respects only KHL contracts, not other Euro leagues. It is a proof that if NHL is forced (Radulov/Preds/KHL) they are ready to make a compromis. The problem with Euro hockey federations, especially Swedish, is that they think they can not do anything to change transfer rules, to force NHL. Look what Kuperman said (#28). Maybe the Euros are not strong enough to force NHL, I accept it, but they do not even try! With such an attitude, the transfer rules will be never changed. The KHL is not strong enough (with a fight with NHL), the KHL needs a support from other Euro leading hockey federations. That is a reason why I support the KHL, because they are the only one who have guts & will to change the really bad (for Euros) transfer rules.

I have no problem if Euro players under Euro contract moving to NHL if... both clubs agreed on transfer fee. NHL CBA forbids such a scenario, and there is a reason for it from NHL point of view.

If there is NHL transfer agreement, then NHL as a league pays $200k to Euro clubs per player. But it is NOT a transfer fee, it IS a development fee. Look at FIFA rules what is a difference between both. The main difference is that development fee is the same for every player which is decided by FIFA rules, transfer fee is negotiated between clubs and depends on quality of a prospect. It is a nonsense that NHL paid the same money for Laine & some Euro 7th rounder.

There are some negative moments for KHL with not having a transfer agreement with the NHL. Players are moving to CHL because they do not want to have "problems" when going to NHL. Another story is that CHL has not developed single GREAT Russian prospect, but many of them were consider as GREAT while playing in Russia. By "problems" I mean paying a buyout to KHL club if moving to NHL under valid KHL contract. NHL have to wait for Russian KHL players until their KHL deal is ended (Kuznetsov, Panarin, Kaprizov, Sorokin), what is not good for NHL clubs. But it is great for Russian players who can properly develop at home & earn some money & have better position when negotiating their NHL deal. Look, Kuznetsov & Orlov would not never got such a money in NHL, if there was no KHL. Swedes or Finns can envy them.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
And yet the NHL still didn't give the KHL ****. That was Lehtera who paid them. Others have done the same (Plotnikov in 2016). But again, that's coming from the player, not NHL teams. You can speculate all you want about how Lehtera paid his Russian club to let him out of his contract, but it's irrelevant to the NHL, because it's not NHL teams paying the KHL in a bidding war.

I also suspect that if you were to add up all the contracts that players have "bought out" to get out of their KHL deals to come to the NHL and what the KHL would have received in transfer fee's that they'd come out ahead if they'd been getting transfer fee's.

Keep in mind, unlike other leagues, $200k is a paultry amount by KHL standards.....especially for the wealthy upper tier clubs (where most NHL talent comes from).
Also, just as importantly, transfer agreements can seriously jeopardize roster stability. KHL teams don't want to be in the position of having to urgently find replacements for players under contract who can just leave whenever.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Skirting

Any team that cannot skirt any agreement has to hire a better seamstress.

Setting aside the issue there are many ways to do it. Compensating in the form of players or other favours.

Prime example would be the relationship between the CFL and the NFL. There are signing windows allowing CFL players to go tho the NFL as free agents. CFL teams will walk away from a bidding war they cannot win, knowing that the beneficiary NFL teams will throw favours their way in the form of players, coaches, etc.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Agreements

All problem with international transfers started in early 90s when the NHL was too stong, all Euros moving to the NHL. Of course the NHL did not want to pay anything for Euros to European clubs, so IIHF transfer rules had to be changed in favor of the NHL. And the NHL could afford to force IIHF & Euro federations to do it, because the NHL knew the league had the best conditions for players (salaries, level of play). Now IIHF transfer rules say that all IIHF member clubs (not NHL) have to respect a player´s contract with another IIHF member club. If a player under contract wants to move to another IIHF club, both clubs have to agree on transfer fee. But when player wants to move to NHL, his IIHF club has no right to negotiate a transfer fee with NHL club, because player´s Euro/IIHF contract is terminated per se (if there is a transfer agrement with NHL). This happened to Hertl who had a contract with Slavia Prague for one more year & the team did not want to release him from the contract, but Czech hockey federation signed NHL transfer agreement, so Slavia had no right to keep Hertl in the team (or to negotiate a transfer fee with Sharks). So there is no contractual stability for European clubs, they have no right to keep a player who has valid contract for next season/s & have no right to negotiate a transfer fee with NHL club (because it is normal if a player under contract wants to go to NHL, no problem, but transfer fee must be achieved between both clubs). All in all, Euro players used to situation when they can move to NHL whenever they want & Euro club can not keep them. Similar happened to Tatar & Malkin, who simply run away (because there was no NHL transfer agreement at the time). Russians did not have problem with Malkin moving to NHL, they just wanted one milion USD or so for him. There is still no transfer agreement between NHL & KHL, so the same situation as in Malkins RSL times, but both leagues honor players contracts. That is a BIG DEAL, because the NHL respects only KHL contracts, not other Euro leagues. It is a proof that if NHL is forced (Radulov/Preds/KHL) they are ready to make a compromis. The problem with Euro hockey federations, especially Swedish, is that they think they can not do anything to change transfer rules, to force NHL. Look what Kuperman said (#28). Maybe the Euros are not strong enough to force NHL, I accept it, but they do not even try! With such an attitude, the transfer rules will be never changed. The KHL is not strong enough (with a fight with NHL), the KHL needs a support from other Euro leading hockey federations. That is a reason why I support the KHL, because they are the only one who have guts & will to change the really bad (for Euros) transfer rules.

I have no problem if Euro players under Euro contract moving to NHL if... both clubs agreed on transfer fee. NHL CBA forbids such a scenario, and there is a reason for it from NHL point of view.

If there is NHL transfer agreement, then NHL as a league pays $200k to Euro clubs per player. But it is NOT a transfer fee, it IS a development fee. Look at FIFA rules what is a difference between both. The main difference is that development fee is the same for every player which is decided by FIFA rules, transfer fee is negotiated between clubs and depends on quality of a prospect. It is a nonsense that NHL paid the same money for Laine & some Euro 7th rounder.

There are some negative moments for KHL with not having a transfer agreement with the NHL. Players are moving to CHL because they do not want to have "problems" when going to NHL. Another story is that CHL has not developed single GREAT Russian prospect, but many of them were consider as GREAT while playing in Russia. By "problems" I mean paying a buyout to KHL club if moving to NHL under valid KHL contract. NHL have to wait for Russian KHL players until their KHL deal is ended (Kuznetsov, Panarin, Kaprizov, Sorokin), what is not good for NHL clubs. But it is great for Russian players who can properly develop at home & earn some money & have better position when negotiating their NHL deal. Look, Kuznetsov & Orlov would not never got such a money in NHL, if there was no KHL. Swedes or Finns can envy them.

Agreements. One-sided perspective. Let's extend the discussion to all agreements. How many European countries have signed the appropriate international "Intellectual Property Agreements"? Has Russia signed such agreements? NO.

How much is the NHL losing in licensing fees for their trademarks and copyrights being used, sold in Russia without any money going back to the NHL. A lot more than Russia is losing on the players. This is before we start looking at all the other impacts on all NA businesses. Entertainment industry, manufacturing and so forth.

NHL is just recuperating the shortfall. Too bad.

Now how much would the entertainment industry pay in transfer fees for Russian entertainers? Industry for engineers and scientists?

How many times have Russian hackers attemped/succeeded in getting access to NA industrial secrets?

Living in glass houses, people should not throw stones.

Mayuu

Mar 10, 2017
Agreements. One-sided perspective. Let's extend the discussion to all agreements. How many European countries have signed the appropriate international "Intellectual Property Agreements"? Has Russia signed such agreements? NO.

How much is the NHL losing in licensing fees for their trademarks and copyrights being used, sold in Russia without any money going back to the NHL. A lot more than Russia is losing on the players. This is before we start looking at all the other impacts on all NA businesses. Entertainment industry, manufacturing and so forth.

Now how much would the entertainment industry pay in transfer fees for Russian entertainers? Industry for engineers and scientists?

How many times have Russian hackers attemped/succeeded in getting access to NA industrial secrets?

What the ****, talk about derailing a discussion.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
But it's only parity in the NHL, the NHL are the only hockey league that benefits from the system currently.

To be honest I don't really care how the NHL choose to split up the talent between teams, and I don't really mind that the top prospects go to NA either, it's the best league and of course that's the stage the prospects aim for.

What's frustrating is that the system as it is today doesn't reward the effort in developing these top quality players that will generate revenue for the NHL brand years to come.

Take Lias Andersson as an example, he signed a contract with Frolunda for two years in May and still may not even play a single game (Rangers doesn't want Lias to participate in preseason games to "stay fresh" for their camp), but what does Frolunda get as compensation for losing their 1C/2C for the upcoming two seasons?
0$ since the last 3 seasons he's been playing for HV71.

It would be fine with me if the current contract runs out and then Lias moved to Rangers, or that the Rangers payed up to null the contract he has with the team.

Maybe I'm just rambling and letting my frustrations out but this really waters down the SHL as a league, maybe it's because Frolunda tends to lose so many high impact young players each year..

But it makes me wonder if it's even worth for these team to have their academy's at all, it can't be a net positive deal for the SHL teams.

You also have to consider that the clubs part in developing players varies in European countries. In Russia they're developed by the club's hockey school from the beginning(?) where as in Finland, the elite level clubs only have "ownership" of the player when they play for their A-juniors (usually between 18-21 year olds). Only then does the player get free equipment and icetime and coaching and might get a junior contract fee for playing. Player's development has been paid for by the parents until then. From what I've read here, in Sweden the system is fairly similar except there clubs take care of the development when the player enters hockey gymnasium or hockey high school and that's at ~15 years old.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In Finland any player could be sold for ~500k. Or lock it for the NHL salary minimum.

Imo, that's a fair sum and peanuts for an NHL organization. ~200k seems to feel too low.

With that money you can hire 2x 1st line players to replace anybody.

And also far more than the players are making in salary in Liiga. ~200K euros is more than the combined salaries of Laine, Aho and Puljujärvi in their last season in Finland and as mentioned already, also more than the clubs used for their development.

I've mentioned years ago that the NHL clubs could afford to pay more, e.g. 400-500K euros for a first round pick and/or addedd compensation for their positions on the league's top scorer charts in the previous season and it wouldn't hurt them one bit. But since it's a player's market, meaning they will go to the NHL anyway, the European clubs/leagues have no leverage and the NHL knows it. They'd rather stay in good terms with the player, in hopes that should they not make it in the NHL, they'd return to the club and are proud of any NHL players that have come from the club.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

To be honest, I do not understand what you want to say.

I want just one thing - when Euro player under Euro contract moving to NHL, NHL club should negotiate a transfer fee with Euro club. That is all I want. Yes, in some cases it can be 1 USD, in another it can be 1 million USD.

Add parents paying for developing of a prospect - that is exactly what I said, the result of bad international transfer rules. If Euro club got real transfer fee from NHL clubs, the Euro club would invest more money (those from NHL clubs) into developing of their prospects.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Simple Point

To be honest, I do not understand what you want to say.

I want just one thing - when Euro player under Euro contract moving to NHL, NHL club should negotiate a transfer fee with Euro club. That is all I want. Yes, in some cases it can be 1 USD, in another it can be 1 million USD.

Add parents paying for developing of a prospect - that is exactly what I said, the result of bad international transfer rules. If Euro club got real transfer fee from NHL clubs, the Euro club would invest more money (those from NHL clubs) into developing of their prospects.

And the NHL teams want just one thing. When NHL merchandise is sold in Russia it should be properly licensed, sourced with royalties paid to the NHL. Not happening.

As long as this is not happening little interest or motivation for the NHL and its teams to pay for players.

Simple point. You take for free, we take for free.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

You almost owed me a new keyboard with that post.

While on the topic of hockey transfer agreements you somehow end up discussing Russian hackers accessing NA industrial secrets. Seriously?

1993vinvl2wsgjpg.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad