How much cap space in total has the Canucks saved with hometown discounts ?

Kip96

Feb 8, 2010
West Coast
I dunno about Edler at 6.

Do you really think Hamhuis turned down 1.5 million per year to sign here ?

I don't believe that rumor..

Schneider at 5 is a little rich too

Even though I can't stand him, Edler would easily get 6+ this off season, didn't Matt Carle get 5.5 last year?

Hamhuis got an offer of over 5 per year (I believe it was Philly), so he probably turned down about 750K per year

Schneider at 4 seems about market value at the time considering he hadn't started more than 25 games in a season

LolClarkson*

Agreed. ZOMG lets fire him. I dont think everybody would have that sentiment if we weren;t runners up on Doan and Schultz. Man, what a team we would've had. Both players are really needed right now. That right handed shot with a powerforward of Doans ilk. :banghead:

He was playing with fire with the Sedins. Not a risk worth taking.

King of the ES*

So we have a lot of hometown discounts on this team. How much has it saved us ?

Sedins- Saved a million per I think. They could have got 7.1

Burrows- Could have got 5.5

Kesler- Maybe 6 ?

Edler- I think he is fully priced at 5 but I know ppl will disagree with this

Beiksa- Could have got 5. Saved a half million

Loungo and Schnieder- Fully priced

Garrison- Could have got 5.2, saved a half million

Higgins- would have got 3.5, saved a million

Total= saved about 6 million

Pretty silly post.

You're comparing signings that happened in the past to market values of today. At the time, Sedin's signing for $6.1 didn't sound like much of a discount, nor did Kesler's deal. If you look at it from a 2013 lens, yes, sure, but these deals were signed in 2009 (Sedin's) and 2010 (Kesler).

Bieksa's wasn't much of a discount either. The guy signed for 6 years and $27.6M, no? What do you think he would've got? He's a 2 - 4 defenceman.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Pretty silly post.

You're comparing signings that happened in the past to market values of today. At the time, Sedin's signing for $6.1 didn't sound like much of a discount, nor did Kesler's deal. If you look at it from a 2013 lens, yes, sure, but these deals were signed in 2009 (Sedin's) and 2010 (Kesler).

Bieksa's wasn't much of a discount either. The guy signed for 6 years and $27.6M, no? What do you think he would've got? He's a 2 - 4 defenceman.

pretty silly post

hes comparing the values to the rumoured values at the time, not now. hes not asking "what would they get in FA right now" he's asking "what would they have gotten in FA is 2009 or 2011"

if you didnt think the kesler deal or the sedin deals were good at the time, well, i can't even think up an appropriate way to say it without being infracted

he's wrong about a couple (edler, luongo) but its not a bad methodology

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Fair or not, the market would have given Edler 7.

Yep. Philly would have given Eddy a huge UFA deal since they struck out on Weber.

Likely 7-7.5M+ since he finished Top 10 in D man scoring last year and would fit their system like a friggin' glove.

But he's ours. ALL OURS.

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
we disagree on his open market worth.

what do think he would get as a UFA and why ?
Edler signed for 5M when it was 7.78% of the cap max. These players all got a bigger chunk of the pie and more in straight dollars. I would say Edler inarguably should be at least on par with this group, and given his age plus upside/potential probably belongs at the top of it if he were to hit the open market. 5.5-6M easily, and 6.5-7M wouldn't have surprised me.

Matt Carle: 5.5M / 7.83% (2012)
Brent Burns: 5.76M / 8.21% (2012)
Kimmo Timonen: 6M / 9.3% (2013)
James Wisniewski: 5.5M / 8.55% (2011)
Sergei Gonchar: 5.5M / 9.26% (2010)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad