How much cap space in total has the Canucks saved with hometown discounts ?

LolClarkson*

So we have a lot of hometown discounts on this team. How much has it saved us ?

Sedins- Saved a million per I think. They could have got 7.1

Burrows- Could have got 5.5

Kesler- Maybe 6 ?

Edler- I think he is fully priced at 5 but I know ppl will disagree with this

Beiksa- Could have got 5. Saved a half million

Loungo and Schnieder- Fully priced

Garrison- Could have got 5.2, saved a half million

Higgins- would have got 3.5, saved a million

Total= saved about 6 million

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Without his circumventing deal, Lu could have easily been looking at 6.5M, minimum, in free agency that year.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
They were all willing to give a hometown discount so to speak, however how many were only willing to do so if they had a NMC or NTC? It's a double edged sword imo.

Now GM MG has handcuffed himself in terms of what kind of trades he can make. Case in point the Luongo trade, where there were many rumors he declined a trade during last offseason.

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
Edler- I think he is fully priced at 5 but I know ppl will disagree with this

Just to clarify, are you saying he is only worth 5? That, I'd agree to disagree on.

Your thread appears to be about the discount they took though, i.e. difference between what they signed for, and what they could have gotten. If you are saying he could only get 5M on the open market though, you're crazy.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
What would make these hometown discounts so much more better is if the Canucks actually had good prospects contributing in primary roles.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Against what scale? FA or re-signing?

I know Hamhuis reports were around 6m when he was a free agent. There was some ridiculous number for Garrison as well.

For the comment about savings via NTC/NMC, and not a hometown discount, no way to know for sure. But an NTC should not garner 1m in savings. More like 500k. Then the rest is covenant/discount. But what's most telling is how the numbers follow the teams structure. It's not even a discount in isolation, it's "take what this guy is making or we can sign you". Which has gotten this team some very efficient deals.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Then we wasted 12 million on a back up goalie, a d-man that never gets to play, and a forward that can't stay healthy and gives us nothing when he does play.

Home town discounts are great if you don't waste that money.

LolClarkson*

Just to clarify, are you saying he is only worth 5? That, I'd agree to disagree on.

Your thread appears to be about the discount they took though, i.e. difference between what they signed for, and what they could have gotten. If you are saying he could only get 5M on the open market though, you're crazy.

we disagree on his open market worth.

what do think he would get as a UFA and why ?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Sedins 8 Burkes offer
Kesler 6
Luongo 7 - maybe even 7.5 at the time. Teams would have easilly offered that if he went to UFA lets get serious he was considered top 3 in the world.
Burrows 5
Edler 6 - easily if he went to ufa
Hamhuis 6 - rumours of what the Islanders offered
Bieksa 5
Garrison 5.5 he turned down offers of that to come to Vancouver.
Higgins 3
Hansen 3
Raymond 3
Schneider 5

Projected salaries 70.5 - actual salaries 55.825 = 14.675 in savings.

LolClarkson*

Sedins 8 Burkes offer
Kesler 6
Luongo 7 - maybe even 7.5 at the time. Teams would have easilly offered that if he went to UFA lets get serious he was considered top 3 in the world.
Burrows 5
Edler 6 - easily if he went to ufa
Hamhuis 6 - rumours of what the Islanders offered
Bieksa 5
Garrison 5.5 he turned down offers of that to come to Vancouver.
Higgins 3
Hansen 3
Raymond 3
Schneider 5

Projected salaries 70.5 - actual salaries 55.825 = 14.675 in savings.

I dunno about Edler at 6.

Do you really think Hamhuis turned down 1.5 million per year to sign here ?

I don't believe that rumor..

Schneider at 5 is a little rich too

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
All the hometown discounts we have mean absolutely nothing with $5mil sitting on the bench doing nothing every night.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I dunno about Edler at 6.

Do you really think Hamhuis turned down 1.5 million per year to sign here ?

I don't believe that rumor..

Schneider at 5 is a little rich too

So if Schneider went to UFA right now a team wouldn;t sign him for 5? Teams would be lining up for that. Edler would get 6 based on his production and potential. That Hamhuis rumour was true and I'm not surprised, Philly and Pitts offered 5+. He's our best defenseman and one of the best defensive defenseman in the game. He would have helped the Islanders a ton. Though, he's not playing up to standards this year. He's a stud.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Market value/what I think they could have got.

Sedins 7-8
Kesler 6+
Higgins 3-3.5
Raymond (after 09/10) 3-4.5
Hansen 3+

Edler 6+
Hamhuis 5-6
Garrison 5-6
Bieksa 5+

Luongo 6-7
Schneider 5-6

I think he has done a very very good job in this respect and doesn't get enough credit for it.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
All the hometown discounts we have mean absolutely nothing with $5mil sitting on the bench doing nothing every night.

Well with the money we've saved from LTIR that really nullifies it. Ya we could have traded him for nothing and tried to get a player worth 5.3 at the deadline but your still having to give up assets for said player.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Market value/what I think they could have got.

Sedins 7-8
Kesler 6+
Higgins 3-3.5
Raymond (after 09/10) 3-4.5
Hansen 3+

Edler 6+
Hamhuis 5-6
Garrison 5-6
Bieksa 5+

Luongo 6-7
Schneider 5-6

I think he has done a very very good job in this respect and doesn't get enough credit for it.

Agreed. ZOMG lets fire him. I dont think everybody would have that sentiment if we weren;t runners up on Doan and Schultz. Man, what a team we would've had. Both players are really needed right now. That right handed shot with a powerforward of Doans ilk. :banghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad