How much better can the Gallys be?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
His best year will be similar to the stats that Marchand posted last season. I just can't see him being better than that.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I used to think Gallagher would top as a 25-25 guy a couple seasons back but with the right linemates for a full season he could be a 30-30 winger which would be fantastic. Was on pace for 30g 60pts+ at 22-23, plenty of time to grow.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've underrated Gallagher in the past but won't be doing that anymore. He's a beast and I can't wait to see what kind of season he has.

Galchenyuk I hope is paired with Radulov, it's impossible to guess how good he will become. Needs to improve his defensive game and we need to see how he does in the playoffs. Last time he had 1 goal in 12 games. I expect when he hits his prime he's going to be among the best players in the NHL.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I guess I'm in a mood for questions today ha.

One of the big reasons I'm positive about this team is that I still think the Gallys can be better.

I actually think they're underrated by most in terms of what they can become.

I really think Gallagher could be a future HOFer. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 4th line on a Canadian Olympic team once. There's only one concern and that's how long he'll last. This guy just gets better and better all the time and has one of the highest levels of compete in hockey. I think his skill level's underrated. It's not massive but I think he's even evolved as a playmaker/passer.

I think Galchenyuk has superstar potential (it's a vague term I know) but his skill level is immense. Many times he was the best player on the ice for both sides. I really think we've only seen the tip of the ice berg with him.

I think (broken record I know) that a lot of fans have defaulted to a cynicism in regards to our players and prospects. So many haven't panned out and what not and 'we always overrate our players', etc. We also have a habit to under sell many of our players. Many of our stars.

I really think these 2 are gonna do us proud in the near future. I see Pacioretty as a complementary player or at least our #3 forward. Pacioretty as your best forward isn't exactly awe inspiring but if he's your 3rd best (I really think he will be sooner than later if he isn't right now) then you're not in bad shape.

I'm pretty sure that despite what you think of management, a lot of fans' opinions probably rest on what you think these 2 can become. I just hope if people disagree they don't have to be dick heads about it. It's fine to not think the way I do but it just isn't fun when people say you're wrong and have to imply you're a bit screwy for thinking that way or you're a rose coloured glasses MB loving zombie bot. I'd just really hope this thread is as little ad hominem as possible. I think discussion is just way more fun when it doesn't get personal. I've had my offences I'll admit but I just hope we can set a tone that bypasses all the silly stuff.

I totally agree with your evaluation of the two Gally's being able to excel to better levels, in fact I can see their whole line Max included leading the Habs to the top of the East. All three players have great work ethics, are very great team players and they are just beginning to hit their strides as top professionals. Habs fans are truly in store for more outstanding play from these leaders, not only them but from the team as a whole. It may take a few weeks for the team to build team chemistry, but with the character / leadership this team has in abundance, when they gel other teams won't be able to see them for the dust, playoff are a certainty IMHO.

I hope the Habs don't try to burst out in the early season, but slowly build their team chemistry, coming into form in early March around the trade deadline, as other "Elite Playoff Teams" always aim for. (Like Chicago, LA Kings, Pittsburgh, NYR's, do each year.)

Also hoping Sergachev is given every opportunity, not rushed but brought along by the veterans, Juulsen too if he shows he's ready at the Ivan Hlinka & WJHC's. The Habs are loaded with great young prospects, I just don't want to see any of them get injured by rushing them to much against NHL veterans.:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He was our best option for first line center in 2015 and should've been used in that capacity. Yes, he was a flawed player (still is) but he's been held back needlessly. Not using him last year (esp in December) was nothing short of shocking.

Even if you think I overestimate what his results would've been there's no underestimating how insane it was to use him behind DD. And seriously, why did we remove him from Max when he'd had such good results in 2015? The guy does well so then we pull him off and put him on the wing where he ceases to be productive.

Without DD's injury last year we're all sitting here now wondering if this guy has any future at center for us.

Galchenyuk managed to look great DESPITE how the coaching staff used him, not thanks to. That's crazy. Under the right coaching staff and in the right system with the right linemates, he could be a top 10 forward in the league.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Galchenyuk managed to look great DESPITE how the coaching staff used him, not thanks to. That's crazy. Under the right coaching staff and in the right system with the right linemates, he could be a top 10 forward in the league.

In the first 41 games of the season, Galchenyuk had 27 pts, in the last 41 he had 29 pts. I actually think the coaching staff has handled him well and now with the confidence and improve physical aspects (strength, skating), he's turning into a beast for us. Now he just needs to work on his defensive game which can be brutal at times.

Akhurite

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto,ON
Gallagher's legacy will strictly be determined by how long he and his body last.

As for Galchenyuk, everything's already been said. Guy has superstar potential

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
In the first 41 games of the season, Galchenyuk had 27 pts, in the last 41 he had 29 pts. I actually think the coaching staff has handled him well and now with the confidence and improve physical aspects (strength, skating), he's turning into a beast for us. Now he just needs to work on his defensive game which can be brutal at times.

The philosophy and practice of letting the prospects over ripen is fine. It can be frustrating but I think it's a smart way to do things.

That being said the fact that we had to wait for Galchenyuk to get his chance only untill DD got injured is just down right scary. I think of that and I shudder.

I do agree, I don't feel Galchenyuk's been mismanaged or poorly developed but DD getting injured was a fluke. He's been relatively injury free his whole career. It makes me want to puke.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The philosophy and practice of letting the prospects over ripen is fine. It can be frustrating but I think it's a smart way to do things.

That being said the fact that we had to wait for Galchenyuk to get his chance only untill DD got injured is just down right scary. I think of that and I shudder.

I do agree, I don't feel Galchenyuk's been mismanaged or poorly developed but DD getting injured was a fluke. He's been relatively injury free his whole career. It makes me want to puke.

I'm one of those that I don't really care how they get their, as long as the prospects end up being around where they were projected in time. Should they have handled Galchenyuk better, sure, have mistakes been made with a number of our top prospects, for sure. That said in the case of Galchenyuk that he's showing good improvement year over and and now that he's made big strides physically (kid looks like a beast now) and has shown he can put the puck in the net consistently, now we just need him to round out the rest of his game and we should have a great one as you would hope when picking someone 3rd overall. I can understand holding him back some because of his defensive flaws.

The overuse of DD is maddening but hopefully this is his last year.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Gallagher's legacy will strictly be determined by how long he and his body last.

As for Galchenyuk, everything's already been said. Guy has superstar potential

gally should be good for a while,his fitness regime protects him and is smart how to play. should be good for 25 25,more than that is a bonus.

chucky looks great at times,almost like kane,so the skys the limit,even at wing,look at kane.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I hope I am wrong but I don't know if I see AG up there in the superstar/elite catagory.

I can see him being a 30-30 guy but that would put him more in the Turris (another 3rd OVA) territory. Good player but not the Crosby/Giroux/Malkin type level. I hope he has another gear and can flirt with a PPG or 40G but I don't know if he has that gear. Would loved to be proven wrong and there is also nothing wrong with 60 PT 30 G center.

Galley is all heart and I can see him scoring 30 or more one year. If Gionta could get to 50 one year I think Galley can hit 30.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hope I am wrong but I don't know if I see AG up there in the superstar/elite catagory.

I can see him being a 30-30 guy but that would put him more in the Turris (another 3rd OVA) territory. Good player but not the Crosby/Giroux/Malkin type level. I hope he has another gear and can flirt with a PPG or 40G but I don't know if he has that gear. Would loved to be proven wrong and there is also nothing wrong with 60 PT 30 G center.

Galley is all heart and I can see him scoring 30 or more one year. If Gionta could get to 50 one year I think Galley can hit 30.

Galchenyuk is 22 and already just a hair under 30-30. Granted it's hard to say when someone will stop progressing, but he's years away from his prime so it's hard to think he won't be at least a good bit better then he is now. How good is very hard to say and maybe he doesn't ever really progress anymore then he has but with his skill level and still being so young, I don't think it's a reach to think he can be a 70+ guy or better. That said we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad