How much better can the Gallys be?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I guess I'm in a mood for questions today ha.

One of the big reasons I'm positive about this team is that I still think the Gallys can be better.

I actually think they're underrated by most in terms of what they can become.

I really think Gallagher could be a future HOFer. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 4th line on a Canadian Olympic team once. There's only one concern and that's how long he'll last. This guy just gets better and better all the time and has one of the highest levels of compete in hockey. I think his skill level's underrated. It's not massive but I think he's even evolved as a playmaker/passer.

I think Galchenyuk has superstar potential (it's a vague term I know) but his skill level is immense. Many times he was the best player on the ice for both sides. I really think we've only seen the tip of the ice berg with him.

I think (broken record I know) that a lot of fans have defaulted to a cynicism in regards to our players and prospects. So many haven't panned out and what not and 'we always overrate our players', etc. We also have a habit to under sell many of our players. Many of our stars.

I really think these 2 are gonna do us proud in the near future. I see Pacioretty as a complementary player or at least our #3 forward. Pacioretty as your best forward isn't exactly awe inspiring but if he's your 3rd best (I really think he will be sooner than later if he isn't right now) then you're not in bad shape.

I'm pretty sure that despite what you think of management, a lot of fans' opinions probably rest on what you think these 2 can become. I just hope if people disagree they don't have to be dick heads about it. It's fine to not think the way I do but it just isn't fun when people say you're wrong and have to imply you're a bit screwy for thinking that way or you're a rose coloured glasses MB loving zombie bot. I'd just really hope this thread is as little ad hominem as possible. I think discussion is just way more fun when it doesn't get personal. I've had my offences I'll admit but I just hope we can set a tone that bypasses all the silly stuff.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
Galchenyuk will put up 80 pts seasons once he gets 1st line duty, along with PP time

As for Gallagher, I think he's close to his ceiling. I don't see him rushing to the net and getting ragdolled for many more seasons. He will alwaya be a great player, but a bit more peripheral in years to come

That being said, I wouldnt trade either for the next 10 yrs

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Galchenyuk will put up 80 pts seasons once he gets 1st line duty, along with PP time

As for Gallagher, I think he's close to his ceiling. I don't see him rushing to the net and getting ragdolled for many more seasons. He will alwaya be a great player, but a bit more peripheral in years to come

That being said, I wouldnt trade either for the next 10 yrs

it would make sense that Gallagher is closer to his ceiling since he's older but I really think he can still be better. Not like 100 pts better but a bit better than what most think.

I think Galchenyuk can penetrate that inner circle of the best of the best forward wise or at least be very very close to it. I could be wrong about him. I feel more confident in what I say about Gallagher than Galchenyuk to be honest but I still have a very good feeling about Galch.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
As good as Gallagher is, he's got a weak shot and has tunnel vision when he hasn't scored in a couple

His body is going to start burning out in the next few years..........
He is a great player but eventually he won't be as eager to crash and bash his way into points.

I see him doing well this year however, I certainly hope he does as well....

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Imo Galchenyuk needs to become a bit more aggressive and physical and up his two-way game but it'll come with time. He has good physical attributes that he should use more.

We all saw what happened when he became more aggressive with his shot, he stopped aiming for the perfect play and just shot the biscuit on goal, with great success. I think he can become a top-20 forward in this league, some years flirting with top-10 production.

Gallagher is great and in constant progression, love his drive. He can become a 30-30 forward as soon as this year barring any injuries.

As good as Gallagher is, he's got a weak shot and has tunnel vision when he hasn't scored in a couple

Couldnt disagree more*****. Gallagher's shot is not elite but certainly not weak. I also believe he is very talented offensively and not just to crash the net and such. He's fast, got a lot of pure skill and can pull off some great passes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Gallagher is what he is : his numbers might improve or regress depending mostly on circumstances. I don't think he can be better, yet could post better numbers. Or worse.

Galchenyuk reaching 80pts on a consistent basis seems unrealistic, which doesn't mean he won't reach it once or twice if things go well. As a comparison, Tavares reached 80 twice (and was on pace for 80 when he got injured in 2014). I'd like Galchenyuk to be Tavares, but he just isn't. He'll get better (mostly due to experience), however.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Gallagher might get 30 goals if he's healthy all year, but I doubt he ever puts up much more than 55-60 points. He definitely brings more than just scoring to the team, though.

Galchenyuk could end up being a point per game player, given the opportunity and a little luck.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I have alot of confidence in Gallagher, 30g-30a season for him at the very least but he might reach 30g and 35-40a. I dunno about Galchenyuk tho, it'll come down to how well he's being used.

Gallagher's shot is anything but weak, he has a really underrated wrister and snap shot (especially this). 41g in 72 games in his draft year, 44g in 66 games the year after and 41g in 55 games in his final junior season, there's a reason why he was such a prolific scorer.

Last edited:

Danadiens

Apr 20, 2004
I have alot of confidence in Gallagher, 30g-30a season for him at the very least but he might reach 30g and 35-40a. I dunno about Galchenyuk tho, it'll come down to how much he's being used.

Gallagher's shot is anything but weak, he has a really underrated wrister and snap shot (especially this). 41g in 72 games in his draft year, 44g in 66 games the year after and 41g in 55 games in his final junior season, there's a reason why he was such a prolific scorer.

It's mostly loose puck combatitivity. He's really not that talented, and that's what makes him so loveable. He'll do everything possible to help the team, but on talent alone, I find him less skilled than guys like Andrighetto for exemple. Gally has a lot of "it" that make him so useful.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's mostly loose puck combatitivity. He's really not that talented, and that's what makes him so loveable. He'll do everything possible to help the team, but on talent alone, I find him less skilled than guys like Andrighetto for exemple. Gally has a lot of "it" that make him so useful.

I think you're selling him short big time here. He doesn't have the same skills as guys like Galchenyuk/Koivu but he's got a very good shot and IMO he has more offensive talent than Gionta in his prime.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Galchenyuk would already be a far more prominent player if we'd used him properly.

If he's actually used right he could easily be a point per game this year.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Galchenyuk would already be a far more prominent player if we'd used him properly.

If he's actually used right he could easily be a point per game this year.

Let's be honest here. He had that good stretch with Pacioretty in 2014-15 but it was still a flawed player back then. It was only this year where you saw a completely different player in Chucky. His off-season training made a huge difference this year. He had a lot more confidence in his abilities, he was quicker and players couldn't push him off the puck with ease.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Let's be honest here. He had that good stretch with Pacioretty in 2014-15 but it was still a flawed player back then.

And?

DD was as flawed if not more. And he was in his prime without any hope to get better.

The matter of fact is that (and this is really a fact) by 2014-2015 season we knew we would never win anything with either Plekanec or DD as a first line center. In the middle of the season when Galchenyuk was moved to the first line for 11 games he had just turned 21 and as a top 3 pick he was ready. Not ready to be 100% but ready to start acquiring experience at this position to eventually get to 100% of his capacity. A top 3 pick playing on a first line by 21 is nothing uncommon. It's very common.

Think about it. Had we kept AG on the first line starting mid 2014-2015 season he would have 1 year and an half and 2 playoffs series of experience as a first line center.

Right now his experience as first line center is around 30 regular seasons game. Hard to be too much positive about next season considering that. The kid will need to get experience before being able to lead this team in the playoffs.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Galchenyuk is the complete package. As long as he continues to keep working hard he'll have success. He could definitely be a PPG player.

Gallagher relies on work ethic and positioning. I think that if he were to play with the right people and in the right system he could be a 30G 30A player in his prime, but will he get those right people in Montreal? I don't know.

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Stopped reading at "I really think Gallagher could be a future HOFer".

And this is why we're seen as one of the most delusional fanbases in the league folks.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I thought Gallagher "is who he is" before last season, but he really surprised me with his play this past year. I don't know if he can reach 60 points, but he showed more offensive potential than I thought he had in him.

Regarding Galchenyuk, He can definitely be better, but I worry about him. I fear he'll never be the #1 C we were hoping for. I don't think he has the potential to be elite (though that is a subjective term) in terms of point production, and he's never been good defensively. I've also never been impressed with his playmaking and so far he has benefited from his teammates more than his teammates have benefited from playing with him. Basically I see him as a "Good enough" #1C in the regular season, but he's never going to be the best C on the ice if we make it deep into the playoffs. Hopefully other parts of our roster will be able to make up the difference when we get there.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
And?

DD was as flawed if not more. And he was in his prime without any hope to get better.

The matter of fact is that (and this is really a fact) by 2014-2015 season we knew we would never win anything with either Plekanec or DD as a first line center. In the middle of the season when Galchenyuk was moved to the first line for 11 games he had just turned 21 and as a top 3 pick he was ready. Not ready to be 100% but ready to start acquiring experience at this position to eventually get to 100% of his capacity. A top 3 pick playing on a first line by 21 is nothing uncommon. It's very common.

Think about it. Had we kept AG on the first line starting mid 2014-2015 season he would have 1 year and an half and 2 playoffs series of experience as a first line center.

Right now his experience as first line center is around 30 regular seasons game. Hard to be too much positive about next season considering that. The kid will need to get experience before being able to lead this team in the playoffs.
My point is that it was debateable in 2014-15 if Chucky was better than DD in terms of production. Last year, it wasn't whatsoever. After the 2014-15 season, some people were starting to question whether or not Galchenyuk would ever be more than a 50 pts forward and rightfully so. He was still doing the same mistakes that he had been doing since his rookie season, his speed was still so-so, he was frail and weak out there (see RNH) and his shot was always off. I saw you post this in the Weber thread, but I think you're overblowing how far Chucky is from his prime. He already has 275 GP under his belt as a 22-year-old and he's been part of our most succesful playoff run since 1993. He's a man now and with how finished off the season, it's hard not to think that he's ready to lead the team as it's number one center. Also I disagree that it was evident that Plekanec wouldn't lead us anywhere when he was coming off a 60 pts season.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I can definitely see Gallagher having a few 30 goal seasons. Probably not a consistent 30-30 guy but easily 25-25 with some seasons above that.

Galchenyuk I think could get to Tarasenko levels. 35-35 guy with consistency, some seasons closer to 40-40.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I thought Gallagher "is who he is" before last season, but he really surprised me with his play this past year. I don't know if he can reach 60 points, but he showed more offensive potential than I thought he had in him.

Regarding Galchenyuk, He can definitely be better, but I worry about him. I fear he'll never be the #1 C we were hoping for. I don't think he has the potential to be elite (though that is a subjective term) in terms of point production, and he's never been good defensively. I've also never been impressed with his playmaking and so far he has benefited from his teammates more than his teammates have benefited from playing with him. Basically I see him as a "Good enough" #1C in the regular season, but he's never going to be the best C on the ice if we make it deep into the playoffs. Hopefully other parts of our roster will be able to make up the difference when we get there.

Gallagher was on pace for 62 points last season and he's still really young, no reason why he cant hit 60.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
it would make sense that Gallagher is closer to his ceiling since he's older but I really think he can still be better. Not like 100 pts better but a bit better than what most think.

I think Galchenyuk can penetrate that inner circle of the best of the best forward wise or at least be very very close to it. I could be wrong about him. I feel more confident in what I say about Gallagher than Galchenyuk to be honest but I still have a very good feeling about Galch.

If McCarron was ready to be a second or third line center (I know he still needs to develop) it would be awesome to have him with Gallagher and Shaw, a big punishing center and two pesky wingers, that would be an awesome line to watch but a complete nightmare to play against, we need a line like that. I love Gallagher, one of my favorite players, could have been a competitor in any era.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Let's be honest here. He had that good stretch with Pacioretty in 2014-15 but it was still a flawed player back then. It was only this year where you saw a completely different player in Chucky. His off-season training made a huge difference this year. He had a lot more confidence in his abilities, he was quicker and players couldn't push him off the puck with ease.
He was our best option for first line center in 2015 and should've been used in that capacity. Yes, he was a flawed player (still is) but he's been held back needlessly. Not using him last year (esp in December) was nothing short of shocking.

Even if you think I overestimate what his results would've been there's no underestimating how insane it was to use him behind DD. And seriously, why did we remove him from Max when he'd had such good results in 2015? The guy does well so then we pull him off and put him on the wing where he ceases to be productive.

Without DD's injury last year we're all sitting here now wondering if this guy has any future at center for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad