How many seasons until Vancouver makes the playoffs again?

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
As a neutral party, I gotta say 4+. A lot can change if they really bottom out and get some luck in the lottery, but as it stands as of today... Yuck

DISCLAIMER: This is not an anti-Vancouver thread, just how quickly do they dump the Sedins etc. and rise from the dead...

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The problem is the West is tough and only getting tougher.

Ana, Cgy, Edm, SJ will be contending for the playoff spots.

LA will still be in the conversation too.

That's just their own division. Then you have the Central, where there are some big teams in their cup contention status.

I would say minimum 3 years before they make playoffs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Making the playoffs really isn't that hard.

They were in the running and in a playoff spot almost halfway though last season weren't they?

There are a lot of playoff spots. Colorado could make it this year

I don't think the team is managed all that well and don't really like their roster right now so lll guess 3 years. But wouldn't be surprised in the least if they make it next season (not this season)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
3-4.

they arent close. When Juolevi, Pettersson, Boeser, Demko etc are young stars in the league, then they will be decent

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Theyve got some young talent, but their guys need time to develop. Unless they win a couple of lottery picks and have guys who can come in right away, their prospects are going to take a while. Horvat, Boeser, and Juolevi aren't going to carry them to the playoffs alone. I said 4 years.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Hard to say. Edmonton and Calgary are trending up, and likely will for a while. Anaheim still has an excellent team with solid prospects. San Jose still has some gas left. Arizona has a strong prospect pool, and is looking like they could fight for a spot in a few years. LA is likely down to their last push.

I'd say about 5 years. They'll need to reach a point where they're winning a solid chunk of their division games, and I think it will be a while yet. Especially if the Sedins are gone after this year.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
2017-18 - 30th place
2018-19 - 28th place
2019-20 - hard to predict

Im a Canucks fan and an optimist so I predict that 19-20 season. Everything will click and thell become a dynasty with Bobo Lefrenier Gaudette Dahlin Dahlen Boeser Juolevi Demmers etc...

;)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Going to be a long time. When you look at the teams in the West, most are set to be contending for years. NSH, STL, EDM, MIN, DAL, CGY, ANA, WPG... ARI will be getting better, heck Chicago will probably find ways to stay good.

Vancouver will be in the bottom of the conference for a while with Vegas and Colorado.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
It depends on Calgary, LA and San Jose, how will these teams trend.

Arizona, Anaheim and Edmonton won't be trending down anytime soon.

Vegas are an unknown currently.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
3-4.

they arent close. When Juolevi, Pettersson, Boeser, Demko etc are young stars in the league, then they will be decent

They all seem like great players but none of them have franchise potential. They need to get lucky in the next couple of years. Get lucky, win the 1st overall pick and it changes everything.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They all seem like great players but none of them have franchise potential. They need to get lucky in the next couple of years. Get lucky, win the 1st overall pick and it changes everything.

to be a contender or top team? sure

to make the playoffs? Not really. "so-so" teams make the playoffs every year

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
It depends on how the kids develop and how much patience is exercised. Right now for forwards only Horvat gets me excited on their roster. Voted 5+ years. I Hope For Nuck Fans they do the rebuild properly and not rush people to the NHL.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
If we get Dahlin or Svechnikov, we will make the playoffs in their 1st or 2nd season.

As much as I think Dahlin is going to be a franchise defensemen, I don't think he can carry them into the playoffs. I also don't think the supporting cast can do it either.

I know it might not be the best thing to bring is back to the Leafs as a comparison but realistically the Canucks don't really have their Marner/Nylander prospect yet (Well actually I would consider Pettersson to be close to Nylander when he was drafted). So basically you still need a Marner and Matthews to come in and make an impact at the same time.

Besides that you probably have similar pieces to the remaining Leafs (JVR/Rielly/Gardiner/Kadri/etc..) either able to step in soon or already on the team.

I don't think next year will even be the worst for the Canucks. There will be a step back the season the Sedin's leave the team and the team likely doesn't start the upswing until after that.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Impossible to say.. with what they have now in the organization, i can't see them making the playoffs in a long time. So many better teams in the West. Also Sedins are soon done.

It'll come down to their drafting in the next couple of years, and how those players pan out in the future.

Im going to say 5+, though not expecting 10 or anything like that.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Making the playoffs really isn't that hard.

They were in the running and in a playoff spot almost halfway though last season weren't they?

There are a lot of playoff spots. Colorado could make it this year

I don't think the team is managed all that well and don't really like their roster right now so lll guess 3 years. But wouldn't be surprised in the least if they make it next season (not this season)

Almost all teams are in the mix that time of the year.. True test comes after the all-star break. Around that time is when the good teams turn it on and usually string together some nice win streaks while the mediocre/bad teams fall out of the picture.

Canucks would have to beat 7 teams out of Chicago, Minnesota, Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary, St. Louis, San Jose, Nashville, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Dallas, Arizona, Colorado and Vegas. Im not sure what you mean by "there's lots of playoff spots".

Last edited:

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Il say 3 years but in years 1 or 2 they need to win a draft lottery. Lot's of good young players, no game changers.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'd agree with the masses and say 3-4 years. I like that Vancouver is building up their base slowly and not trying to expedite it in any way. As long as Benning keeps their prospects instead of deciding more Sutters or Gudbransons are what they need, I think they should build up a fantastic team.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Voted 4 years, but it could be more.

They need a 1c and a 1d for sure yet. They don't have either piece.

Adding to the uncertainty, is the parity of the draft rankings. Say the Canucks finish 27th, that could mean they draft 5th or 6th. Hardly a surefire piece.

Also depends on Demko. No goalie prospect is a guarantee, even though Demko looks good. Could be a markstrom situation.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
Indefinite, there's not much there from a management perspective and the high draft picks are and prospects are underwhelming for a team that's been poor for so long.

I see nothing to justify leaving the bottom 10 of the league within the intermediate future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad