How many relocations will there be in the big 4 sports leagues this decade?

How many relocations will there be in the big 4 leagues in the 2020s?

• Total voters

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How many relocations will there be in the big 4 sports league this decade? For the purposes of this thread, even though the Raiders officially became the Las Vegas Raiders in 2020, it had been all but finalized for years and was originally supposed to happen in 2019, only delaying because the stadium needed another year of construction. I predict there will be only 3.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Over a decade there will be 6-10. As for hockey I think we see two team relocate.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
If we are all lucky, the Raiders will be the last relocation in our lifetimes.

I'm holding out hope that the 2030s becomes the first move-free decade in the big 4 sports leagues since the 1910s. This despite the fact that the NFL would prefer to enter new markets by relocation, since expanding would ruin the schedule formula in place since 2002. So realistically, if new professional football teams are launched in markets currently without an NFL team, it will be through the XFL.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
The XFL's first expansion teams could be in Columbus (OH), Memphis, Portland, and San Diego.

St. Louis and the Texas teams would thus form a new Central Division with Memphis. Portland and San Diego would be assigned to the West. Columbus to the East.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I think the Jacksonville Jaguars are going to end up being relocated.

I expect MLB has zero. Gonna go out on a limb and say the NBA has zero.

NHL... it's always kind of a shit show in this league, so I'll take the under and say 1.

So, 2 total.

If a vote doesn't go 'yes' today, that may very well be a possibility

Jaguars warn Jacksonville City Council: Pass Lot J and (maybe) keep NFL in town

Even a yes vote doesn't guarantee they'll stay as they will be looking at a stadium 'solution' too before the lease is up in 10 years

Last edited:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Reactions: DaveG

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
If a vote doesn't go 'yes' today, that may very well be a possibility

Jaguars warn Jacksonville City Council: Pass Lot J and (maybe) keep NFL in town

Even a yes vote doesn't guarantee they'll stay as they will be looking at a stadium 'solition' too before the lease is up in 10 years
I am really sick of this tactic as a sports fan

Does anyone know how much the Jags are paying vs the city?

As a Los Angelino, I was pissed when the city lost the Rams , the Raiders not so much. but in hindsight, I am happy that they didn't cave , even if it cost us football for 21 seasons.

Because they stood firm, private entities have built the stadiums without public money

Staples- Kings- Lakers- Clippers + = all private AEG
Rams- All private money
Galazy- all private AEG money

The chargers can suck it for holding San Diego hostage and then bolting, all while blocking other teams from moving to LA because they called it their territory .

I hope that The Jags nut up and pay for their stadium, that the Jacksonsville fans don't lose their team and that this disgusting practice ends

member 157595

I agree with those that have mentioned a Jacksonville relocation. I think the writing is on the wall for them and the NFL has shown recently they'll relocate their grandmothers to Siberia for a dollar.

I think the NHL has far less of an appetite for relocation than the NFL does, I don't think they do it unless they basically have no choice like what happened with Atlanta.

As for MLB, what's the status with the Rays?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I'll say zero. It's 0.475 per decade on average, so I'll take the under.
We have had 4 in the last decade.
Thrashers to Winnipeg
Rams to LA
Chargers to LA
Raiders to Vegas.
But I think it may settle for a while unless the Chargers move back to San Diego.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I agree with those that have mentioned a Jacksonville relocation. I think the writing is on the wall for them and the NFL has shown recently they'll relocate their grandmothers to Siberia for a dollar.

I think the NHL has far less of an appetite for relocation than the NFL does, I don't think they do it unless they basically have no choice like what happened with Atlanta.

As for MLB, what's the status with the Rays?

Ironically if the NHL permitted Packeresque ownership structures the Thrashers might have been saved. I think it is about time such ownership structures be universally permitted in the major leagues in order to avoid future relocations.

Reactions: sexydonut and DaveG

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think due to COVID we could see some, mainly in hockey. It might be in the best interest of some hockey teams not to have a season till there is gate revenue.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
After all, I consider the ownership structure of the Packers to be a model business structure for a major league sports team. It effectively prevents Green Bay from losing the team despite being the smallest market in the major sports leagues

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Thrashers to Winnipeg
Rams to LA
Chargers to LA
Raiders to Vegas.
But I think it may settle for a while unless the Chargers move back to San Diego.

Yeah, but it's 4 in the last decade, and 1 in the previous decade, and 4 in the decade before that, and 0 in the decade before that, etc, etc, etc.

Basically, it's the 30-to-40 year cycle of stadium construction.

Reactions: oknazevad

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Thrashers to Winnipeg
Rams to LA
Chargers to LA
Raiders to Vegas.
The Chargers situation can easily be solved if Kroenke and the NFL owners build a stadium in the San Diego metro with public money only being used for infrastructure.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yeah, but it's 4 in the last decade, and 1 in the previous decade, and 4 in the decade before that, and 0 in the decade before that, etc, etc, etc.

Basically, it's the 30-to-40 year cycle of stadium construction.

The previous decade (2000s) had 4 relocations
2001 Grizzlies to Memphis
2002 Hornets to New Orleans
2004-05 Expos to Washington
2008 Sonics to OKC

The 90s had 8 relocations
1993 North Stars/Stars to Dallas
1995 Nords to Denver
1996 Jets to Phoenix
1997 Whalers to Carolina
1994 Raiders to Oakland
1994 Rams to St. Louis
1996 Oilers to Nashville via Memphis (I consider this 1 move)
1996 Browns to Baltimore (yes it's officially a dormancy and expansion but I put it on the list)

The 80s had 7 moves
1980 Flames to Calgary
1982 Rockies to New Jersey
1982 Raiders to LA
1984 Colts to Indianapolis
1988 Cards to Phoenix
1985 Kings to Sacramento
1982 Clippers to LA

The 1940s is the last decade without a relocation of the big 4 and the NBA didn't even exist the entire way through

I may have missed some but will agree the next stadium cycle will determine the next set of moves. Those built in the 90s will be hitting the 30 year mark

Last edited:
Reactions: The Pale King

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
If it wasn't for Covid, the Jaguars would have played 2 'home' games in London this season. Unfortunately for the fans in Duval, the franchise I feel has been enduring themselves more and more towards London as time goes on. Their London 'home' game 2 years ago was against the Eagles, then the defending Super Bowl champs. Think about that, the one time the Eagles are supposed to play in your town in 8 years and they are the defending champs, and it's in London. I mean that just has to suck for a season-ticket holder.

I am of the opinion that we might see one or both of the Grizzlies and/or Pelicans relocate in the NBA. The good news is that both franchises have young talent to build around but they play in small markets that don't have a lot of wealth. If Seattle isn't getting a return of the Sonics, then I think the league will set their attention to Las Vegas. There's also Vancouver who didn't really get a chance to "bond" with the Grizzlies since that franchise was terrible during their 6 year run there.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
MLB has Athletics and Rays situations that need to be worked out.
NHL seems stable but this board has a hard on for AZ, FL or CRL to relocate
NBA has a few mid-small markets as noted: Memphis, New Orleans, etc
NFL has maybe the Jags but that's likely it. Chargers have burned the bridge to San Diego and they're already rebuilding the area around the old stadium for a smaller 30-40K stadium for San Diego State.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
MLB has Athletics and Rays situations that need to be worked out.
NHL seems stable but this board has a hard on for AZ, FL or CRL to relocate
NBA has a few mid-small markets as noted: Memphis, New Orleans, etc
NFL has maybe the Jags but that's likely it. Chargers have burned the bridge to San Diego and they're already rebuilding the area around the old stadium for a smaller 30-40K stadium for San Diego State.

Given LA's proximity to SD there are still probably a lot of Chargers fans in the latter city. The smaller stadium could be used if the NFL decides to operate a proper minor league, with the Chargers placing their affiliate in San Diego, as a way of rebuilding their relationship with the city.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Let me think about this....

Note, I am only listing teams that I could see moving if things really go south, not teams that I think will move.

MLB - Tampa Bay Rays, Oakland Athletics
NBA - Memphis Grizzlies
NHL - Arizona Coyotes, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers (again, not saying they will or are likely to move, just that the option can't be discounted)
NFL - Jacksonville Jaguars, Los Angeles Chargers

If anyone else is on the block, I'm not seeing it for various reasons, not the least of which being an almost likely scenario where a local buyer steps in if need be. And of the eight teams above, I really only see a couple of them being really in play, namely Tampa Bay and Jacksonville.

So, I'm expecting two teams to move in the next decade.

Reactions: Hoek

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Thrashers to Winnipeg
Rams to LA
Chargers to LA
Raiders to Vegas.

True, but let's take the bolded in to perspective

The NFL wanted two teams in LA and the Chargers pretty much had to move or give them market ,which they considered their territory to The Raiders. (Even though LA is has many many more Raiders fans) does
The NFL wanting two LA teams instantly meant two moves.

If the Chargers had stayed put, like they should have. Their only would have been two moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad