How many points does Hampus Lindholm need to be "elite"?

Oct 18, 2011
Most people know about his advanced stats and everyone weighs them differently.

Many consider him a top tier shutdown dman, he has the ability to contribute more offensively but seems to focus more on defending. He is an elite skater and has become much more physical too.

How many points does he need to be top 10 or a Norris Trophy contender?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think if he has 2-3 seasons of 50 points, with close to 20 goals...then I think you can start mixing him in. But he needs to drastically improve his offensive game.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
40-50 would be a good benchmark. And advanced stats are only meaningful if they eventually translate to goals.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Most people know about his advanced stats and everyone weighs them differently.

Many consider him a top tier shutdown dman, he has the ability to contribute more offensively but seems to focus more on defending. He is an elite skater and has become much more physical too.

How many points does he need to be top 10 or a Norris Trophy contender?

Well considering he hasn't even hit 35 points yet, I agree with the above poster saying that he'll need 50 plus and i just don't see it happenings. There are just some many other better "elite" D-men out there to pick from.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I never buy the "he has the ability to put up more points, he just chooses to be more defensive". While I might agree that being placed on a team like Pittsburgh over a defensive team might net you some more points, generally a player plays the style that suits him best.

From what I've seen, he's not an elite offensive player and probably never will be. As long as you aren't an absolute trainwreck defensively, I think 50 pts minimum should be considered elite territory. I do think he's probably elite in his own zone.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
These types of threads are so stupid because subjective terms like elite cannot be quantified. Two posters could view Hampus Lindholm exactly equally, but poster A could see "elite" as being a perennial Norris contending, top-5 defenseman, while poster B could view "elite" as a top-30 defenseman in the league.

In my opinion, to be considered elite, a guy should be a perennial contender for the best at his position, or at least close. For a defenseman, this means he needs to be in Norris talk, even if it's just on occasion. I would consider Giordano and Vlasic the cut off for elite, regarding defensemen. Is Lindholm there? Probably not. I think he would need to consistently score at least 45 points, or improve his defensive game to be considered one of the top-5 defensive guys in the league. He scored 20 points in 66 games this year and that is Vlasic territory. He needs to probably double his production or further improve his already stellar defense before I use the term elite for him.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
These types of threads are so stupid because subjective terms like elite cannot be quantified. Two posters could view Hampus Lindholm exactly equally, but poster A could see "elite" as being a perennial Norris contending, top-5 defenseman, while poster B could view "elite" as a top-30 defenseman in the league.

In my opinion, to be considered elite, a guy should be a perennial contender for the best at his position, or at least close. For a defenseman, this means he needs to be in Norris talk, even if it's just on occasion. I would consider Giordano and Vlasic the cut off for elite, regarding defensemen. Is Lindholm there? Probably not. I think he would need to consistently score at least 45 points, or improve his defensive game to be considered one of the top-5 defensive guys in the league. He scored 20 points in 66 games this year and that is Vlasic territory. He needs to probably double his production or further improve his already stellar defense before I use the term elite for him.

This...I view the term elite as generational type skill. 15 years from now I don't expect myself to tell my kids "Man if you could have seen Lindholm!!!"

Oct 18, 2011

How is Lindholm not considered a top 5 defensive D right now. Or atleast very close to it

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
This...I view the term elite as generational type skill. 15 years from now I don't expect myself to tell my kids "Man if you could have seen Lindholm!!!"

I on the other hand reserve the label generational to players like Crosby and McDavid and maybe Karlsson.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Very good defensemen but wont ever be elite. there are maybe 3 or 4 elite players in the league. He may become a top 10 dman or something

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
40+ minumum to be considered top 10

50+ to get Norris consideration.

not sure he has it in him after two straight sub 30pt years.
seems more like a 30ish pt guy

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
How is Lindholm not considered a top 5 defensive D right now. Or atleast very close to it

I wouldn't even have him top 10

in no particular order

Doughty,Keith,Suter,Tanev,Hjalmarsson,Vlasic,Hedman,Stralman,Mcdonaugh, Pietrangelo

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Yeah, gonna need to hit 45+ consistently while being great defensively.

The kid's had a bum arm this past year, and I don't think the last two seasons are great indicators of his true offensive abilities. That being said, I see 45 as being his maximum.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think he's going to be in the Norris conversation in his career if he doesn't at least break 40 points, and I don't think he is *quite* good enough defensively to be considered a Norris contender if he hits the mid 40s (although he's young enough that I wouldn't be surprised if that improves).

And yeah - I think "elite" Dmen are Dmen who, in a given year, you'd think have a realistic shot at the Norris.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Probably won't ever win a Norris but he is excellent defensively. So personally I don't care if he doesn't meet the offensive standards of an elite player.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015

seriously? maybe top 5 amongst his peers but even then its dicey....

Karlsson, Doughty, letang, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Mcdonagh, Suter, Burns, Subban, Weber and then about 10 more guys that are in same catgory as Hampus with much better Resumes .....

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Media, and even fans put a lot of emphasis on points.

Top 5 in Norris voting this year:

Burns: 76 points
Karlsson: 71 points
Hedman: 72 points
Keith: 53 points
Suter: 40 points (but had 51 the season prior)
Weber: 42 points (but had 51 the season prior and multiple 50 point seasons)
Doughty: 44 points (but had 51 the season prior)

I think Lindholm would have to be a 45-50 point player for more than one season to be considered top 10. Would need to be 50+ to be a norris candidate.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Points don't make you elite. He's a tremendous defensemen and yes maybe he needs more offensive impact to be in the Norris discussion in the future but you don't need 50+ pts to be an elite defensemen. Vlasic is an example, but then again depends on your definition of elite.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
No fixed amount is necessary, nor is a Norris finalist approach.
Simply being excellent positionally and a good contributor for his team will lead the Ducks to excellent results. Individual note is not to be sought, only shunned. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad