How many points could McDavid possibly score in a season?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I could see him putting up a season that is up there with the best of the non-Big Four. Malkin hit that in 11/12, at least t in terms of his PPG vs. the field. Crosby was heading towards that in 10/11 and 12/13. Jagr in 98/99 and Yzerman in 88/89 are the two best offensive seasons before that.

I think people are putting too much stock in his low PP points, and in how much more he could develop. I think players are coming into the league a lot more NHL ready than in the past, starting with Crosby. He was on Wayne and Mario's tier as a prospect but did not reach their levels once hitting the NHL. I think players like McDavid, Matthews and Laine have pretty much jumped into their primes from the get go.

Numbers-wise, 120-125 points last year would have hit the "best of the non-Big Four" tier.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
I think people are putting too much stock in his low PP points, and in how much more he could develop. I think players are coming into the league a lot more NHL ready than in the past, starting with Crosby. He was on Wayne and Mario's tier as a prospect but did not reach their levels once hitting the NHL. I think players like McDavid, Matthews and Laine have pretty much jumped into their primes from the get go.

The top power play producers have had around 40 PP points lately so that would not be outlandish achievement from McDavid. After all, he is clearly among the top offensive players in the League. Reaching that level, and maintaining current ES production would result in some 120 points and “only” a modest further increase would be need to reach 130-140 points.

The power play is also area where McDavid presumably can increase his production even if his own play does not increase as much, merely by benefitting from better PP structure and supporting cast. Unless we assume that his skillset is ill suited for PP.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I know he's only 21 but the other "generational" superstars that have come into the league recently have been topping out in point production at around that same age. Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin all had their highest point totals by the time they were 22 which McDavid will be this season. I think he could reach 120 with an outside shot at 130 but each year he doesn't hit those numbers the likelihood of a career year diminishes.

It's typically the less hyped superstars that come into the league that come into the league and are eased in a bit that top out in their mid 20s.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The top power play producers have had around 40 PP points lately so that would not be outlandish achievement from McDavid. After all, he is clearly among the top offensive players in the League. Reaching that level, and maintaining current ES production would result in some 120 points and “only” a modest further increase would be need to reach 130-140 points.

The power play is also area where McDavid presumably can increase his production even if his own play does not increase as much, merely by benefitting from better PP structure and supporting cast. Unless we assume that his skillset is ill suited for PP.

Here is what we know.

-McDavid produced at about the same pace, relative to the league, in 16/17 as he did in 17/18 while his team's PP clicked at a 5th best rate. He did not lap the field that year as you are expecting he would if only the PP was better. The PP was better in 16/17.

-McDavid was hovering in 5th to 10th place in the Art Ross race, mostly attributable to his PP points being way down, for most of the season then turned it up significantly during a time when W's and L's were not as important to his team.

-There are no good examples of other high end talents like McDavid whose production was affected that much by the success, or lack of thereof, of the team's PP. Crosby, Malkin, OV,and Jagr, all produced regardless.

If the Oilers PP was better last year, it changes the dynamics of the Oilers games. Do they play McDavid so much if they are winning more than trying to always to play catchup? It is not as cut and dried as adding simply adding PP points to McDavid's ES point totals. Nor writing off their bad PP to everybody else but McDavid, who should have the most influence as a player on it's success or failure.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I know he's only 21 but the other "generational" superstars that have come into the league recently have been topping out in point production at around that same age. Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin all had their highest point totals by the time they were 22 which McDavid will be this season. I think he could reach 120 with an outside shot at 130 but each year he doesn't hit those numbers the likelihood of a career year diminishes.

It's typically the less hyped superstars that come into the league that come into the league and are eased in a bit that top out in their mid 20s.

I agree. More likely McDavid shows a somewhat marginal increase in his offensive totals vs. his all around game or his playoff performances. If he gets used like Crosby, he won't necessarily be used strictly as an offensive weapon.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016

He should be entering his decade of grace very soon by your projections.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No more than he had this past year. The team still does not have a puck retrieval dman ready to play. He has a good potential winger in rnh but nothing on the other side.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If he plays like 21-22 minutes and 2 minutes of every PP he possibly can, you would probably be looking at around 130-140 IMO.

We have not seen the best of McDavid yet. It's still three years away IMO and he's already the best player in the league...what a guy.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin's production curve is probably a bit strange just by virtue of how different officiating was when they first came into the league. They all entered the league at an obstruction-free time that has gradually degraded more and more as the years have gone on. If they were playing healthy seasons (unfortunately less common for Crosby and Malkin) in a mid/late 2000s style game, they'd probably be putting up the same or better numbers as their first few years, tbh.

Sometimes I wonder what McDavid would've done between like 05-08. They probably would have had to just stop calling penalties at some point or his team would be on the PP for half the game.

Reactions: authentic

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I think if everything clicked for one magical year, this kid could hit 130-140.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I think 140+ is prob right with maybe a 150-160 sprinkled in... just because the game is headed this way

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It's never as much as you think. When Crosby scored 120 at age 19 people were saying 160-180 was possible. 120 ended up being his high. Realistically I see about 120 at Mcdavid's high as well.

Reactions: rintinw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad