How many pieces are we away from being a true contender?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
USD. So there is a projected 10% boost to cover off CDN expenses right now. Some say dollar could dip into the mid-80s again. Salaries remain USD, but our management and rink expenses are still CDN

If you are referring to the Sportsnet deal it was done in CDN $$$.

Yahoo Sports
"The NHL announced Tuesday it had sold its national Canadian rights across all platforms to Rogers for 12 years for $5.232 billion Canadian – or $4.97 billion U.S. using the current exchange rate."

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Who would you cut then?
Greening is obvious but after that the guys with the long term escalating deals are guys you want to keep and build with.

Maybe Methot and Mcarthur too I guess then... Way Mcarthurs playing he's a 5.0 guy his next deal... Maybe he becomes to rich

Contending at the same time as selling... That's madness

Not selling, just moving out some of the more expensive both six contracts to allow kids like Grant, Robinson, Prince, Pumpel and maybe Kramer an opportunity.

MacArthur is an interesting case, specially if he continues to play as he has been.

I would think if he continues to play at the current level Murray will re-sign him. So at $5M it is an additional $1.7M.

I would also expect Murray to attempt to get a top six via trade that is already signed for term, this avoids the inflationary effects of the new TV deal for a period of time.

The real question mark is whether or not he has the assets to attain a proven top 4 D on top of everything else.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
A defenseman and a winger. Giodrano and Cammaleri to the Sens for Zibanejad, Cowen and a prospect of the Flames choosing (Excluding Ceci and Lazar)

The Fuhr*

If you are referring to the Sportsnet deal it was done in CDN $$$.

Yahoo Sports
"The NHL announced Tuesday it had sold its national Canadian rights across all platforms to Rogers for 12 years for $5.232 billion Canadian – or $4.97 billion U.S. using the current exchange rate."

Damn... So if the Canadian dollar continues to drop, that hurts

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
A defenseman and a winger. Giodrano and Cammaleri to the Sens for Zibanejad, Cowen and a prospect of the Flames choosing (Excluding Ceci and Lazar)

Thats a good way to throw away the future and barely upgrade the current team.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Upgrades over Greening and Michalek would be nice. I know our D is a weakness overall, but I think our easiest route to a Cup is by upgrading our forwards and allowing the D to develop. Ceci and and improving Cowen are helping. Weir should be in there every night.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Agree that we need two forward to set us up in the top 6. One could be Stone, if he develops. The other has to compliment Spezza. Otherwise, if we are not going to get him the player he needs, then we need to replace him as well.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I see it more as out of the mouth of The Melnyk. Getting this current roster into shape to really run at a Cup is something we all would find difficult to achieve.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the Senators are only three peices away from being a legitimate cup contender if they continue to play like they did in the first two periods last night without the giveaways & mistakes. IMO the weakest links on this team right now are Condra & Conacher, not because they are not playing well but because they are not scoring consistently & don't bring enough of everything else. While a lot of people argue that Greening doesn't score enough either PM continues to double shift Greening all game when Kassian is in the lineup. It shows us what the coach thinks of him.

With Neil's return to the lineup that should put Kassian back on the bennch. If BM is able to make a deal for Hemsky at the deadline, I would think he would replace one of Condra or Conacher. I would like to see him placed on the 3rd line with Michalek & Zibanejad to give that line more of a scoring punch. To save some money I would like to see one of Conacher or Condra go the other way. It's really my only concern with Conacher is that he isn't scoring & they need more offense from that line. While I don't mind having Condra on the 4th line a bigger, tougher version of him would be better which is why I would like to see Grant called up to centre Smith & Neil.

On defence I would love to see BM get Byfuglien who is a right shot & would stablize our right side once & for all. He would give Ottawa three offensive defencemen on the right side & Buff can also play on the PK & with his size be a shutdown defenceman. Our biggest weakness at the moment though is when Anderson is in net & we don't know which one will show up. I think it's time to give Lehner more games to see if he can run with this thing. The last thing is that some of these guys have to stop making the mistakes & give aways that are killing them. Spezza & Karlsson again last night cost Ottawa goals & while they get them back with their offence it's their defensive play that needs to improve.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Byfuglien? The only thing that guy will stabilize on this team is the buffet table if one side has too many donuts.

This team needs experience to be a contender, and not the kind you make a big trade for. The young players get better with experience and maybe you bring in solid vet when the time is right.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
No way would I ever put Buff on D if he was here in Ottawa. He's a pylon on defense and is better at being a forward. He'd give us that big net front presence the team has been missing since the times they used Chara up front on the PP. A big reason the hawks won the cup was putting Buff on forward because he originally started on D at the start of the playoffs. He switched in the Vancouver series and started beasting. He was a huge reason they got past Vancouver and San Jose with his clutch goals and harassing the goalies up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad