Speculation: How many picks can we acquire?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
This is the type of image I picture for that ad:

1386298309010-USATSI-7599614.jpg

Hahaha! Love it.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
You have to be realistic with draft picks coming into the system.

First of all, you are going to find yourself in a numbers crunch when you need to get to 50. It's not going to be this year or next year that you find that problem, its going to be in 3 years when guys are done their junior careers and you need to find spots for them.

You also have to figure that the most draft picks the Leafs have ever had in a 3rd or 4th round have to be 3 at the maximum.

So the likeliness of trading away all the UFA players at the end of this year for picks isn't going to happen.

There are 2 guys that I could see realistically that could be traded:

1. Martin Marincin - At the trade deadline, his salary will be next to nothing for a team to take on and his cap hit isn't going to put you over the limit. I think of him as a Trevor van Riemsdyk type of guy that could be your #6 or 7 on a team that is looking for some depth.

2. PA Parenteau - Teams love goal scorers and if he can find himself with some power play time and put up some points, a team might be attracted to the goal scoring when it's crunch time.

I could see the team falling in love with Shawn Matthias and Nick Spaling. Both of those guys are hard workers and Matthias has already tried to show up in the community, doing a lot of events. Both of those guys I could re-sign next year and wouldn't care if they walked if they didn't.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
You have to be realistic with draft picks coming into the system.

First of all, you are going to find yourself in a numbers crunch when you need to get to 50. It's not going to be this year or next year that you find that problem, its going to be in 3 years when guys are done their junior careers and you need to find spots for them.

You also have to figure that the most draft picks the Leafs have ever had in a 3rd or 4th round have to be 3 at the maximum.

So the likeliness of trading away all the UFA players at the end of this year for picks isn't going to happen.

There are 2 guys that I could see realistically that could be traded:

1. Martin Marincin - At the trade deadline, his salary will be next to nothing for a team to take on and his cap hit isn't going to put you over the limit. I think of him as a Trevor van Riemsdyk type of guy that could be your #6 or 7 on a team that is looking for some depth.

2. PA Parenteau - Teams love goal scorers and if he can find himself with some power play time and put up some points, a team might be attracted to the goal scoring when it's crunch time.

I could see the team falling in love with Shawn Matthias and Nick Spaling. Both of those guys are hard workers and Matthias has already tried to show up in the community, doing a lot of events. Both of those guys I could re-sign next year and wouldn't care if they walked if they didn't.

With where the team is at it in terms of rebuilding it would be very foolish to let these guys walk for nothing.

I see them doing dealing them out like they did with Santorelli + Winnik last deadline because picks are more important right now than depth pieces.

Dealing them out also gives some youngsters like Leivo, Carrick, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, etc. some NHL minutes to better prep for the following season.

Then we can look at finding the next Santo, Winnik, Matthias, Spaling type in free agency as well as have picks.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
With where the team is at it in terms of rebuilding it would be very foolish to let these guys walk for nothing.

I see them doing dealing them out like they did with Santorelli + Winnik last deadline because picks are more important right now than depth pieces.

Dealing them out also gives some youngsters like Leivo, Carrick, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, etc. some NHL minutes to better prep for the following season.

Then we can look at finding the next Santo, Winnik, Matthias, Spaling type in free agency as well as have picks.

If the team truly believes that guys like Leivo & Carrick are ready, they wouldn't have brought in Boyes, or Glencross. It really doesn't make any sense to bring them up at the trade deadline when the team will likely be out of it.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If the team truly believes that guys like Leivo & Carrick are ready, they wouldn't have brought in Boyes, or Glencross. It really doesn't make any sense to bring them up at the trade deadline when the team will likely be out of it.

Just because they aren't ready to start the year doesn't mean they won't be ready for a promotion later in the season. It's two different stories.

Giving them some of the year minutes in a lot of cases will help them and is also a reward if they've done well in the AHL. It's also sometimes that last shot for a player to show something.

Carrick saw 16 games mostly at the tail end of last season.

Bailey saw 6 games.

MacWilliams + Erixon + McKegg all saw time at the end of the season.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

That's where the Olli Jokinen's come into play. Teams looking to acquire talent at the deadline usually have 1 way contracts to dump to bring players in. With no cap issues we can accommodate almost anyone who wants to make a deal.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

They gotta maintain the illusion of being "competitive" until the deadline at least. When we're mathematically out of it you can start playing guys like Carrick and Leivo in critical situations and special teams to see if they can handle it or not. Babcock isn't the type to experiment with rookies protecting a one goal lead on the PK if there's still any chance of winning.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Assuming Pitts makes the playoffs we have:

TOR 1st
PIT 1st
TOR 2nd
NJD 3rd
TOR 3rd (possibly used as compensation)

I'd say netting another 2nd and 3rd would be huge. Gives the team tons of options, whether it's using those picks where they are, packaging picks to move up or trading back and having multiple shots in the 2nd round.

Picks 4-7 are too random and used as throw-ins in too many deals for me to guess what'll end up with those picks (gaining or losing them anyway)

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

TOR 1st
PIT 1st
PIT 2nd
NJD 3rd

I'd say netting another 2nd and 3rd would be huge. Gives the team tons of options, whether it's using those picks where they are, packaging picks to move up or trading back and having multiple shots in the 2nd round.

Picks 4-7 are too random and used as throw-ins in too many deals for me to guess what'll end up with those picks (gaining or losing them anyway)

According to this site (http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/MapleLeafs.htm),
the Leafs have the following picks (11) if Pitts makes the playoffs:

Leafs 1st
Pitts 1st
Leafs 2nd
NJ 3rd
Leafs 3rd
Leafs 4th
Anaheim 5th
Leafs 5th
St. Louis 6th
Leafs 6th
Leafs 7th
unlikely ---> TB 7th if Ashton plays 15 games

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Off a pure guess I want to say that we will have 6 picks in the top 2 rounds by the draft, and I am hoping for anywhere between 12-15 picks overall in the draft. If we could somehow pull that off our prospect system would be tremendous

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
I agree.

I think some are oversimplifying this "sign and flip" strategy.

That's exactly what it is. Leafs are banking on those players to overachieve then flip them at the deadline.

Best case scenario: We receive picks in return for the temps at the deadline.
Worst case scenario: They fill a roster spot while the youngsters take their time developing on the Marlies.

Its a simple, obvious, and solid plan moving forward.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's exactly what it is. Leafs are banking on those players to overachieve then flip them at the deadline.

Best case scenario: We receive picks in return for the temps at the deadline.
Worst case scenario: They fill a roster spot while the youngsters take their time developing on the Marlies.

Its a simple, obvious, and solid plan moving forward.

sure but fans start assuming you're going to flip everyone which isn't going to be the case. A couple aren't going to play/sign after the PTO and won't have any value, some they will end up keeping, you'll be able to trade 3 or 4 maybe but not all of them

You're not going to go from...

JVR- Kadri- Parenteau
Lupul - Bozak - Matthias
Komarov - Holland - Winnik
Panik - Spalling - Glencross
Beck, Arcobello, Boyes, Setoguchi

to

JVR-Kadri-Panik
Lupul-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-Holland-Leivo
Bailey-Carrick-Soshnikov

post deadline. And a bunch of us want to trade Lupul and Bozak as well if we can, you're not going to be able to trade 10 guys at the deadline, and change 75% of your forward corps.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Okay it seems like everybody and their brother is getting a PTO with the TML, I'm actually happy about that because it likely means that the kids are going to finally spend some time developing rather than being thrown into the big show when they shouldn't be. Players like Glencross and Boyes on one year, million dollar contracts are likely to return, seconds or thirds at the trade deadline if the have a good season with the buds. Not to mention all of the other scrubs we have on the team.

My questions to the fan base is two fold:

Who do you think we can trade and what do you believe we can get for them?

How many picks do we end up after the trade deadline is past?

Goooooooooooo!

Assuming we sign Boyes and Glencross: 6-7 picks ranging from 2nds-7ths up to 10-11 picks.

Matthias/Spaling/Parenteau/Arcobello/Panik/Boyes/Glencross/Polak/Reimer not including potential deals for JVR or Kadri if they fall out of favour or if we can convince another team to take either Lupul/Bozak/Phaneuf/Robidas.

Szymonmf

Sep 13, 2014
Hamilton, ON
We could see some prospect depth moved for modest returns, also. Colborne for a 4th. Ashton and Broll moved for a conditional 6th. That kind of thing.

As for the OP question, almost every player on the roster could be traded. Last TDL we added like 4 or 5 picks. Remember some (6th for Olli Jokinen) didn't actually move hands because they were conditional.

So I would guess we add about the same number or more. Mostly 3rd and 5th rounders though, unless a "big" name like Reimer, Bozak, Kadri, Dion get dealt. My guess is say goodbye to:

Winnik (again)
Parenteau
GlenX (if signed)
Spalling
Arcobello
Beck
Polak (analytics experts HATE him!)*
Reimer

*not saying anyone actually hates him, just a joke about stupid online ads.

the leafs did get that 6th round pick. The condition was it'll turn into a 4th if Jokinen plays in a game in the stanley cup finals.
The colborne trade was bad so lets hope we don't revisit that and I'm sure Winnik getting an extra year on his contract was a guarantee by the higherups that he wont be a rental at this years deadline. Beck also looks like a guy who will probably stay beyond this year

Szymonmf

Sep 13, 2014
Hamilton, ON
Judging but the PTOs, we could potentially be drafting half of the 3rd/4th rounds :laugh:

I have a feeling Shanaplan is going to group mid-round picks to either move up and grab a bit more quality or potentially make a deal for a young project with potential.

Quantity this year
Quality next year

And for the love of God, we need to start taking some RHD with upside.

Dermott

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
sure but fans start assuming you're going to flip everyone which isn't going to be the case. A couple aren't going to play/sign after the PTO and won't have any value, some they will end up keeping, you'll be able to trade 3 or 4 maybe but not all of them.

post deadline. And a bunch of us want to trade Lupul and Bozak as well if we can, you're not going to be able to trade 10 guys at the deadline, and change 75% of your forward corps.

Leafs can move the entire team if the opportunity arises but the likelihood of all temps becoming valuable enough to a playoff team is highly unlikely. That said, the leafs did move eight players (Cody Franson, Mike Santorelli, Daniel Winnik, David Clarkson, Olli Jokinen, Korbinian Holzer, David Broll, Carter Ashton) starting with the ashton/broll giveaway on February 6. Anything is possible with the increase in pending UFA's.

You're not going to go from...

JVR- Kadri- Parenteau
Lupul - Bozak - Matthias
Komarov - Holland - Winnik
Panik - Spalling - Glencross
Beck, Arcobello, Boyes, Setoguchi

to

JVR-Kadri-Panik
Lupul-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-Holland-Leivo
Bailey-Carrick-Soshnikov

You're forgetting the dumped players from those deals which will be used to fill out the rest of the roster.

Szymonmf

Sep 13, 2014
Hamilton, ON

TOR 1st
PIT 1st
TOR 2nd
NJD 3rd

99% sure it has been stated that the 2017 pick will be used as compensation not 2016.... Does anyone else think it's stupid that teams have to give up picks to sign coaches and executives whos contracts have expired

Donald McRonald

Interested observer
Sep 13, 2009
United Nations
Ideally, what I would like to see is the Leafs acquire another 2nd,4th,and 7th round pick in the next draft. Essentially having two teams worth of picks. Being able to maybe come up with more third round picks over the next 3 drafts as well, that would give TML management an opportunity to shuffle the 3rd round Babs/Lou picks that will be leaving and all the Leafs to part with the lowest ranked of those 3rd round picks.
Another thing to consider.. if the Leafs have 11 picks now for next draft, then maybe a total of 10 picks the following year...that's a total of 21 picks over 2 years, basically 3 drafts for the Leafs in a two year span. But as has been pointed out there is the question of contract limits, so with that much quantity in the system there will be the need to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Anyway, I think it would be cool if we could get another 4 picks in total, perhaps 2 this year and other 2 for the 2017 draft. Just my humble opinion.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Leafs can move the entire team if the opportunity arises but the likelihood of all temps becoming valuable enough to a playoff team is highly unlikely. That said, the leafs did move eight players (Cody Franson, Mike Santorelli, Daniel Winnik, David Clarkson, Olli Jokinen, Korbinian Holzer, David Broll, Carter Ashton) starting with the ashton/broll giveaway on February 6. Anything is possible with the increase in pending UFA's.

You're forgetting the dumped players from those deals which will be used to fill out the rest of the roster.

Broll and Ashton was for nothing, not comparable to sign and trade for picks. Jokinen wasn't here to begin with. Clarkson was a complete dump.

So basically Franson, Santi, Winnik and Holzer we traded for picks, and then Jokinen once we got him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

TOR 1st
PIT 1st
TOR 2nd
NJD 3rd

why would we use our pick as compensation? Can't we use any 3rd that we acquire? I wouldn't be using ours.

finnbalor*

If management can practice the patience they've preached this is a prime year to collect 2017 draft picks. A much better looking draft class and it's easier to pry those next year draft picks from GMs.

Sure there not likely to be lottery protected picks but we could have the ammo to move up in the 2017 draft.

Really not that excited over this draft class given our needs at center and on the blueline.

Last edited by a moderator:

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I'm more concerned about the number of quality picks TO will have rather than the volume.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Broll and Ashton was for nothing, not comparable to sign and trade for picks. Jokinen wasn't here to begin with. Clarkson was a complete dump.

So basically Franson, Santi, Winnik and Holzer we traded for picks, and then Jokinen once we got him.

you're not going to be able to trade 10 guys at the deadline, and change 75% of your forward corps.

Point being, if the leafs feel the need to move 75%, they will. None of the Leafs forwards are considered untouchable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad