Speculation: How many picks can we acquire?

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
I don't think he's suggesting making that trade within the next year.

You're right, I'm not suggesting we do this next season. This is simply a response to those who suggested we'll have so many prospects that we won't be able to sign all of them.

Step 1: Acquire as many picks as you can.
Step 2: Draft skill.
Step 3: Develop develop develop

And if in a couple of years if you have too many prospects in your system and not enough contract spots, you can start to package some for young stars.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Eventually the Leafs should use all these picks/prospects to move up in the draft.

We need to get some high end cost controlled home grown talent.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since Daniel Winnik and Matt Hunwick were the only two UFA's that signed 2 year contracts where as others like Shawn Matthias, P. A. Parenteau, and Mark Arcobello signed 1 year contracts, does anyone think that means they won't be traded before the trade deadline? Plus when you factor in Winnik wanting to return and getting more than a 1 year contract, is that their way of saying he is fine for this year?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I don't think Winnik is on the trade block. Shanny and co. are assembling a team of guys that play a certain style and have the passion to play in Toronto.

Winnik is a perfect fit for this vision. I think he's part of the solution.

No one has mentioned Lupul... Leafs can retain 50% if he puts up a decent campaign and get a decent return.

I think, of the PTO players, we sign at least two. Possibly all 3.

We can move Arcobello down, or make a trade to fit them in. Something is likely done to keep Beck off waivers, unless he really underwhelms in camp.

But if all the PTO players are signed, even if you move Arcobello down you don't clear enough roster room.

As for OP, I think we probably add about 2-4 picks this year.

I'm not sold on us being a bad team this year. I can't see us making too many moves to unload players if we're in a playoff spot at the deadline.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No one has mentioned Lupul... Leafs can retain 50% if he puts up a decent campaign and get a decent return.
I believe all NHL teams can retain only 3 contracts until they are finished. We all know they are still having $1.25 million of Phil Kessel's contract count for 7 more years. So is there anyone else they traded where they agreed to retain some of the salary and the contract has multiple years left on it? If so that also needs to be factored in and Lupul is signed through the 2017-2018 season.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
I believe all NHL teams can retain only 3 contracts until they are finished. We all know they are still having $1.25 million of Phil Kessel's contract count for 7 more years. So is there anyone else they traded where they agreed to retain some of the salary and the contract has multiple years left on it? If so that also needs to be factored in and Lupul is signed through the 2017-2018 season.

All from memory so I'm probably mistaken, but I thought we kept cap on Gunnarson didn't we? What does he have left, one more year?

Lupul is the perfect candidate IMO for salary retention. He's not trade-able without

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
All from memory so I'm probably mistaken, but I thought we kept cap on Gunnarson didn't we? What does he have left, one more year?

Lupul is the perfect candidate IMO for salary retention. He's not trade-able without
I believe you are correct about Gunnarson when I think back to him being traded. However I can't remember if they agreed to retain some his salary for last season only or maybe it also includes this season and yes he is in the last year of his contract.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think Winnik is on the trade block. Shanny and co. are assembling a team of guys that play a certain style and have the passion to play in Toronto.

Winnik is a perfect fit for this vision. I think he's part of the solution.

I think, of the PTO players, we sign at least two. Possibly all 3.

We can move Arcobello down, or make a trade to fit them in. Something is likely done to keep Beck off waivers, unless he really underwhelms in camp.

But if all the PTO players are signed, even if you move Arcobello down you don't clear enough roster room.

As for OP, I think we probably add about 2-4 picks this year.

I'm not sold on us being a bad team this year. I can't see us making too many moves to unload players if we're in a playoff spot at the deadline.

Good point. Mostly people are looking at this way - if we don't see the guy playing a role on our theoretical contender 5-7 years down the line, may as well trade him for futures. However, we are trying to change the "culture". Winnik has a great attitude, works hard all the time no question and has no problem putting the team first. How many guys like that do we even have right now? Until we have a team where the solid majority is just like that, someone like Winnik is quite valuable to us.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
This is how I see it. Draft as many kids as possible. Target skill and hockey IQ like we did last draft. Seems like every year there is a young stud available on the trade market. Package 2-3 guys for guys like Dougie Hamilton, Brandon Saad, Tyler Seguin, etc

I know baseball is completely different but its the approach Anthopoulos used to build the Jays. I'm not saying blow the farm on established pieces. I'm saying package excess guys in your farm that you deem expendable for the 22 year old stars that become available on the trade market every so often

Good point. Seeing now that some teams have to move good young players, not by choice, but due to cap constraints. We could be in that position in a couple of years to acquire such players, due to having cap space and having prospect depth.

In all honesty, I hope we always value draft picks and stay clear of trading them even in a few years when we become more competitive. Good way to stay competitive, is to have a stream of young players coming through the pipeline.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Bozak
Lupul
Reimer
Panik
Marincin
Robidas if he's healthy
Parenteau
Matthias
Beck
Arcobello
Hunwick
Spaling
Glencross if signed
Boyes if signed

AKA a lot...

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Good point. Seeing now that some teams have to move good young players, not by choice, but due to cap constraints. We could be in that position in a couple of years to acquire such players, due to having cap space and having prospect depth.

In all honesty, I hope we always value draft picks and stay clear of trading them even in a few years when we become more competitive. Good way to stay competitive, is to have a stream of young players coming through the pipeline.

We should be in a great spot in a few years to be that team that can scoop up a star player on the trade market.

Gleason buyout penalty + 3 middle of the lineup guys who are overpaid in Komarov, Lupul, Bozak are set to have their contract expire at the same time (although I'd bet they are dealt before then).

We'll also have had a few more years of accumulating extra picks and prospects.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
If management can practice the patience they've preached this is a prime year to collect 2017 draft picks. A much better looking draft class and it's easier to pry those next year draft picks from GMs.

Sure there not likely to be lottery protected picks but we could have the ammo to move up in the 2017 draft.

Really not that excited over this draft class given our needs at center and on the blueline.

I think that's a sound approach. We'll still yield a 3rd or 4th for '16, but if we could begin stockpiling for 2017's first two rounds...I like the approach a lot. Moreover given the amount of picks we already have for 2016.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
I believe you are correct about Gunnarson when I think back to him being traded. However I can't remember if they agreed to retain some his salary for last season only or maybe it also includes this season and yes he is in the last year of his contract.

Can't choose which years you retain a contract for. You retain each year until the contract expires

Orbital

Sep 10, 2009
Denver,CO
Matthias: 2nd + potentially mid round pick if he has a great season. Comparables: Winnik + Glencross

Polak: 2nd. No great comparables from last two deadlines but Dmen are the # 1 piece teams covet at the deadline.

Spaling: 3rd. Comparables: Bergenheim + Fleischmann

Parenteau: 5th to 7th rounder. Comparable: Jokinen + Flynn

Reimer: 3rd rounder. Comparable Neuvirth

Arcobello: nothing

As far as Setoguchi, Glencross and Boyes. Lets see them make the team first.

By TD:
Reimer plays 10 games and owns it.Keeper!
Boyes makes team and pots 9 with 20pts.Trade to Columbus for a 2nd
Polak to the Avs for a 2nd
Seto pots 10 goals.Trade to NYR for a 2nd
Glencross pots 3.Trade to NYR for a 3rd

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Can't choose which years you retain a contract for. You retain each year until the contract expires
Based on that I guess that means part of Gunnarson's contract is against the Leafs salary cap this season, so Toronto can only retain salary on one more player they trade until the end of the 2015-2016 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad