How many more times can the Oilers afford to miss the playoffs before McDavid asks for a trade?

Seasons without playoffs

• Total voters

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
06-07 ×
07-08 ×
08-09 ×
10-11 ×
12-13 ×
13-14 ×
14-15 ×
15-16 ×
16-17 Playoffs
17-18 ×

(× indicates missed playoffs)

I feel this will better help you understand the so called "blip" and what year it occured. Not sure what your Jets "blip" brings to the table other than a weak attempt at derailing the thread #herecometheoilers
Spot the anomaly.

Hint: it's the second to last in this list. This is what the Oilers are known for: Losing. It's crazy how I've seen people say that last year was the anomaly. What?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Spot the anomaly.

Hint: it's the second to last in this list. This is what the Oilers are known for: Losing. It's crazy how I've seen people say that last year was the anomaly. What?
Its extremely hard to know what the anomaly is given that this way of breaking it down is incredibly disingenuous. You cannot compare years without a talent like McDavid to years with McDavid. Right now we know they missed the year he was a rookie and missed half the season, made it the next, and then didn't make it this year. Need a lot more evidence to have any idea what the common trend will be for a McDavid led Oilers.

Reactions: olli

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This iteration of the Oilers is at or close to it's peak asset value until they find a way to lose Lucic's contract. I just don't see what's going to significantly change about the team other than coaching over McDavid's prime 21-24 years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Personally I would ask for a trade next year if the management was still making dumb moves and we missed the playoffs again. We are talking about the best player in the game wasting years of his peak. If he was in a winning or big market he could be making millions more in endorsement deals. If he requested a trade next year, I would totally understand

I mean imagine getting drafted to a team with a decade history of being an embarassement, but atleast having Hall, Eberle, RNH, Klefbom, Nurse, 16th overall pick, 33rd and cap space to make you better. And then 3 years later be left with.... shit

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
McDavid will never ask for a trade, no matter if the Oilers finish worst in the league every year of his career, no matter if he desperately wants one. This league and fans are quick to turn on players who aren’t “loyal” to their garbage teams.

Reactions: bobholly39

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This iteration of the Oilers is at or close to it's peak asset value until they find a way to lose Lucic's contract. I just don't see what's going to significantly change about the team other than coaching over McDavid's prime 21-24 years.
Not necessarily. The team has a lot of under 25 players with room to grow, and some quality prospects who either haven't entered the league yet or haven't broke out with Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Benson, and some other lesser names in Bear, Maksimov, Safin, Jones, Skinner, Marody, and a few others worthwhile. Its impossible to say whether this past season or the 2016-17 season is indicative of this roster because there wasn't a ton of change roster wise between the two years (Eberle+Pouliot out, Strome in). I think we'll get a much better indication of that this upcoming season.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I chose the second option, but I wouldn't be surprised if the oilers were working on a trade that involved mcdavid right now.

Let me guess?

Toronto gets - McDavid
Oilers get - Brown, Kapanen and Marincin

Sound about right?

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
After listening to his comments tonight I can't imagine him ever requesting a trade, he seems to take full responsibility of the teams failure on himself even though it's obviously not. The Oilers organization(excluding fans) really doesn't deserve him.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Let me guess?

Toronto gets - McDavid
Oilers get - Brown, Kapanen and Marincin

Sound about right?
Add carrick and pickard instead of brown ans kapanen. We signed them for a reason yesterday.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It's not crazy if they miss the playoffs for the next 2-3 years. Crosby only missed his first two years, mcdavid's missed 2 of his first 3.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Never. He'll just not sign an extension and become a UFA in 2026(?). He's a high profile player and the face of a franchise and probably feels some sort of responsibility if they lose, instead of blaming everyone else. Asking for a trade is basically saying "I can't win with you guys". He will feel obligated to keep trying for the next 8 years.

I think this is the most correct answer. I fully expect he would play out his contract in Edmonton. Similar situation to Tavares maybe.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
It's just not feasible that a team with Connor McDavid would keep missing the playoffs.

They had historically weak special teams and laughably bad goaltending while being a positive corsi and xgf team at ES. Random variance + McDavid in this league means that even if you're the worst team in the league otherwise you'll make the playoffs pretty often.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If you can't build a competitive playoff team that should compete for the Stanley Cup around McDavid, f***ing lol. you suck at your job.

06-07 ×
07-08 ×
08-09 ×
10-11 ×
12-13 ×
13-14 ×
14-15 ×
15-16 ×
16-17 Playoffs
17-18 ×

(× indicates missed playoffs)

I feel this will better help you understand the so called "blip" and what year it occured. Not sure what your Jets "blip" brings to the table other than a weak attempt at derailing the thread #herecometheoilers

Yeah But McDavid's played only 2 full seasons. And a team built around him will buck that trend.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't think Edmonton management would ever trade McDavid. He's the crown jewel of their empire of shit, they probably think drafting him was some sort of accomplishment.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Despite the rampant anti-Canadian sentiment that is rife on this site the country develops players with the character to not whine about wanting to be traded [for the most part anyway].

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
3-4 years of futility will cause something.
In a couple years, the Edmonton media will start hammering the 'Is McDavid the problem?' narrative. We'll see a lot of counter articles come out about trading Gretzky. In year 3, you'll see a desperate GM swing for the fences (a la Cavaliers this past preseason); if they lose again, it'll really start falling apart.

If they have some bubble/playoff success this all goes away. McDavid is a special player, but has been surrounded by an almost inept team.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Went with never! Worst case, he finishes out his contract and leaves. But I can realistically see the Oil win a cup before his contract is up so it's possible he plays out his entire career in Edmonton, as long as Chia doesn't mess up anymore - which is a tough ask!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad