How many Leafs will we see at the World Juniors?

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Nylander, Marner and Kapanen, if available, are virtual locks. But that is a big "if."

Dermott has a good shot at Team Canada which graduates its entire D. Any other Canadian would be an extreme long shot.

Bracco has a good chance at Team USA.
Joshua seems like a long shot to me.

Is Latvia even in the top level tournaments? If so, Dzierkals would be a lock.

Timashov... Unlikely but possible for Sweden
Ditto, Lindgren
Engvall was a top scorer in the junior league but seems to have minimal exposure on the age level national teams.

Russia is unpredictable

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bracco is close to a lock I think. I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if he didn't make Team USA.

Dermott will duke it out for Team Canada. It depends on his performance. Not a lock but has a decent chance. Marner will definitely be a lock for Canada I think. They will definitely need his elite level of offence.

Nylander is a lock for Sweden, but that depends if the Leafs make him available. Same for Kapanen for Team Finland.

Shwaguy*

Marner will be the best player on team Canada world Juniors, the star of the Show.

And while I know he is and will be a centre it'd be fun to see him on Strome's wing or vice-versa at the Juniors

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Laine was very impressive as an underager at the U-18 tournament.

Strome and Marner did not seem to mesh well on the same line at the Top Prospect game. They both need the puck.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Canada - Marner, Dermott
Sweden - Nylander, Lindgren, Timashov, Engvall
USA - Bracco
Finland - Kapanen
Russia - Korostelev

9 guys there all with a good shot, most likely we're looking at 6 or 7 guys.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Marner will be the best player on team Canada world Juniors, the star of the Show.

As it is Marner should have been on this year's WJC team. He is a better player than both of the top line wingers Domi and Declair, so he'd have been at minimum the third best forward on the team after McDavid and Reinhart. He could have simply slid into Duclair's spot with Domi on the other side just like in London. As good as that line was, imagine how good it would have been with Marner.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This!

Funny thing is, take out the new drafted players, and who makes it? :laugh:
I am starting to really like Hunter, a lot.

Not that funny since the only guys eligible are from the the last 2 drafts.

Last year our 2nd pick (#68) is already 20 and ineligible and the rest of the picks were in the 100's.

So take out the new draft picks and the only guy that makes it is the only guy with a legitimate chance to make it. :laugh:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's awesome that we're gonna have at least a few guys this year, because normally we have very few if any at all!

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Dakota Joshua was not invited to the U.S. summer camp, according to the list at lastwordonsports.com.

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Playing at the world juniors has nothing to do whether you will be an impact nhl player,look at John Slaney,Todd Harvey,Marc Denis,Justin Pogge none of them were stars in the nhl and the list goes on and on.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Playing at the world juniors has nothing to do whether you will be an impact nhl player,look at John Slaney,Todd Harvey,Marc Denis,Justin Pogge none of them were stars in the nhl and the list goes on and on.
I don't think anyone said otherwise?

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
It'll be nice to watch a leaf prospect play in a key role for Canada (Marner, obviously)....Watching the goat play the last couple years was cool but he didn't play big minutes other than the PK

As for the number of potential leaf prospects in the tourney....been a while, makes me happy!

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
I'm 50/50 on whether him or Rantanen are the top line RW for Finland, probably Kap due to age.
They're basically the same age, both 96 kids. Kapanen is only 3 months older than Rantanen. They both have similar numbers in Finland as well, I'm guessing the top spot goes to whoever fits that line better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00