How many good teams are there?

How many good teams are there?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In your personal opinion just how many teams in the NHL's 2019-20 season should be considered as "good" hockey teams? If you'd like please list which teams you think are good.

I say five.

WSH
STL
PIT
TBL
BOS
I’m really liking Colorado as well and what they have in the pipeline. It’s not showing up in the standings. But I think that team could go on a run.

Reactions: HugginThePost

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
In your personal opinion just how many teams in the NHL's 2019-20 season should be considered as "good" hockey teams? If you'd like please list which teams you think are good.

I say five.

WSH
STL
PIT
TBL
BOS
Agreed, on all accounts

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
When I think "good" I think "not bad, but not great." So personally I would not include "great" teams like the Blues, Caps, Bruins, etc., but if those teams are included, then I'd say 11-16.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
To me good team means you expect to make the playoffs. That's something around 10 to me, maybe a couple more on a given year. Not going to name them, not interested in the arguments.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
When I think "good" I think "not bad, but not great." So personally I would not include "great" teams like the Blues, Caps, Bruins, etc., but if those teams are included, then I'd say 11-16.

Yeah, this is how I see it. Depends what the OP's definition of "good" is. I'd say there's around 15 or so "good" teams, but that's because I think any team that makes the playoffs is good. "Great" teams, however (ie. legitimate Cup threats) I'd say it's about half that.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Somewhat constantly good ones (this season): Caps, Blues, Bruins.

That's about it.. then there's been bunch of teams that have had long stretches of wins, but also bad spells..

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
What universal metric are we using here? If it's internal to the league, a "good" team is simply the half of the league that makes it to the playoffs, no more no less. It's how the league determines if a team is "good" enough.
Possibly the most subjective question I've ever seen on this subforum

Reactions: Elvs

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Like 10, 8 of them being from the East.

The West, mainly the Pacific is awful. To put it into perspective, 1st in the Pacific would not even be in a wildcard spot in the East. Vancouver is in 1st ATM, they would be in 10th in the east.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

The West, mainly the Pacific is awful. To put it into perspective, 1st in the Pacific would not even be in a wildcard spot in the East. Vancouver is in 1st ATM, they would be in 10th in the east.
Uh oh don't let them hear you say that, they'll argue they're just in a competitive division :laugh:

Reactions: IPS and AvroArrow

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

True. The East has more good teams. Boston Wash Pitts and Tampa. Then a few decent ones like NYI, Columbus, Carolina and maybe Florida.
So 7 or maybe 8.
The rest is pretty meh though.

The West has St. Louis and probably Colorado.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvroArrow

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Uh oh don't let them hear you say that, they'll argue they're just in a competitive division :laugh:

Yeah cause central is sooooo competitive. There’s 1 team in the whole conference that’s ahead by a fair bit.

you realize the Pacific has more teams in a playoff spot/more points than Central? Just saying...

Reactions: bh53

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I've found there's typically 6-8 teams that could theoretically win the cup once the playoffs begin. Never more than 8 though. So, using 'good' as a shorthand for could win the cup, option 3.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I say five.

WSH
STL
PIT
TBL
BOS

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to only have 5 good teams in a 31-team league - it's all scaled relatively, plus any of the other 26 would beat almost any other team in the world. Those ones could maybe be called "elite" or something.
IMO there are always about ~16 good teams, by construction of the playoffs.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah cause central is sooooo competitive. There’s 1 team in the whole conference that’s ahead by a fair bit.

you realize the Pacific has more teams in a playoff spot/more points than Central? Just saying...
You can spin it that way of you want. Pacific doesn't have any teams in the top 3 in the conference, they have the bottom 3 teams in the conference, they also don't have a top 10 team in the league. The 3 California teams are a joke. The Central has #1-3 and #9-12 in the conference. Pacific has #4-8 and #13-15. I don't think you need to be genius to figure out the Pacific is a joke. They literally have no top teams and the 3 worst teams in the conference.

No team in the Pacific has a chance against St Louis, Colorado or Dallas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Michaels
Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
To me good team means you expect to make the playoffs. That's something around 10 to me, maybe a couple more on a given year. Not going to name them, not interested in the arguments.
Don't bring logic into this shit. Good means you watch and judge if they are up to your own personal standards. If you start talking bell curves and averages people are going to start calling you a witch.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
You can spin it that way of you want. Pacific doesn't have any teams in the top 3 in the conference, they have the bottom 3 teams in the conference, they also don't have a top 10 team in the league. The 3 California teams are a joke. The Central has #1-3 and #9-12 in the conference. Pacific has #4-8 and #13-15. I don't think you need to be genius to figure out the Pacific is a joke. They literally have no top teams and the 3 worst teams in the conference.

No team in the Pacific has a chance against St Louis, Colorado or Dallas

Standings change in a nightly basis so your whole argument falls apart pretty quick. Again, only the Blues are way ahead.

as for nobody having a chance against the 3 teams you bolded... eh idk about that. Quite the cocky comment considering Avs and Stars didn’t go on a particularly long run last year.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Standings change in a nightly basis so your whole argument falls apart pretty quick. Again, only the Blues are way ahead.

as for nobody having a chance against the 3 teams you bolded... eh idk about that. Quite the cocky comment considering Avs and Stars didn’t go on a particularly long run last year.
Colorado, St louis, Dallas and San Jose were the final 4 teams in the West and we know what happened to San Jose...

Coincidence 3 of the final 4 teams last year are the top 3 teams this year? I think not.

I rather the Avs fall to WC1 and play whoever wins the Pacific versus playing Dallas in the first round.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Colorado, St louis, Dallas and San Jose were the final 4 teams in the West and we know what happened to San Jose...

Coincidence 3 of the final 4 teams last year are the top 3 teams this year? I think not.

I rather the Avs fall to WC1 and play whoever wins the Pacific versus playing Dallas in the first round.

That’s fine but saying that the Pacific teams don’t stand a chance against either of those teams it’s bullshit. Not only can anything happen in the playoffs, but haven’t seen the teams (outside of Blues) be playoff giants.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Somewhat constantly good ones (this season): Caps, Blues, Bruins.

That's about it.. then there's been bunch of teams that have had long stretches of wins, but also bad spells..
I would put the Pens in there too. They've only lost 3 game in a row once this season and that was early on. Washington has also lost 3 in a row just once. St. Louis has losing streaks of 4 games and 3 games twice. Boston surprisingly has losing streaks of 5 games, 4 games, and 3 games twice.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

I'm getting tired of this new narrative, none of the Pacific teams would be in a divisional spot in the central, none of them would be in a playoff spot in the East. They're not very good, I don't know why were trying to dispute this now. Every team being mediocre does not a good division make. And yes, of course the Central gets bonus points for having the best team in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad