How many good teams are there?

How many good teams are there?

• Total voters

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm pretty sure it's not possible to only have 5 good teams in a 31-team league - it's all scaled relatively, plus any of the other 26 would beat almost any other team in the world. Those ones could maybe be called "elite" or something.
IMO there are always about ~16 good teams, by construction of the playoffs.

I've watched a lot of hockey this year. Honestly just haven't seen that many good teams. Usually on any given year I'd put it closer to eight.

More than half the league make the playoffs every year, I really don't think you have to be that good to do so. Because there are some outright terrible teams, if all you have to do is be better than the Detroits, Ottawas, New Jerseys, or LAs of the world I have trouble as seeing them as a Stanley Cup threat.

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
I picked between 5 and ten. The loser point really makes teams records look better than what they are. Bruins, Caps, Penguins, Lightning ,Blues and Avalanche would be my choices for good teams. There are a lot of pretty good teams that are just a notch below those teams.

Last edited:

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Picked 20, more or less.

In my mind, there are 5 or so top contenders, another 5 or so 2nd tier contenders, and another 10 or so "good" teams, who...while not good enough to be considered as legitimate 'Cup contenders...are decent teams who ought to challenge for a playoff berth and otherwise could be seen as above-average teams.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Between 5 and 10, basically there are probably 10 or more very good teams that are legitimately in the mix for the SC.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There are 31 good teams, it's just that there are teams that suck more than the others

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
We need a definition of good. All 31 teams are really good compared to the teams I've played on. I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean. Making the playoffs could be considered good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->