How many games will Zadina play 2018-2019 for DRW

How many games does Zadina get 2018-2019

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why does he have to be "one of the best" wingers on the team? What is your definition for "one of the best"?

Putting Zadina on the Wings also doesn't mean competing for a playoff spot. Not sure why those would be necessarily related.

And if we did compete for a playoff spot, either half the conference totally collapsed around us or the kids stepped up in a big way. While I'd like to draft high and grab a D or two, I have a hard time complaining about the kids we have stepping up and being a playoff team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The Oilers have numerous problems (coaching, inability to draft other than in the first round, Yakupov, contracts), and I don't see how you can just pin their issues on development. Are you saying that players in their system failed because they played in the NHL too soon?

If he isn't good enough in preseason, then give him some time in the AHL. If he is good enough, then don't be afraid to let him try his hand at the NHL level.

The bigger issue with Edmonton is that they dumped all of their kids into the NHL at the same time. How can you hold Jordan Eberle accountable for struggling when Taylor Hall is struggling when Ryan Nugent Hopkins is struggling?

It's not that RNH would be materially better if he was held back, but you can't get an honest reading on an individual player's talent when the whole team around him is overwhelmed.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
The Oilers have numerous problems (coaching, inability to draft other than in the first round, Yakupov, contracts), and I don't see how you can just pin their issues on development. Are you saying that players in their system failed because they played in the NHL too soon?

If he isn't good enough in preseason, then give him some time in the AHL. If he is good enough, then don't be afraid to let him try his hand at the NHL level.
Ok that's what I thought you were saying, but for some reason I thought you were just saying to "throw him in there and let him fail or succeed and keep him out there regardless".

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I've liked the former policy that "you have to dominate on the lower level, before being a call-up".

That should be Zadina's concentration at the moment. Just show that you won't belong in AHL. Score like mad. Then you'll become an NHLr.

Dylan Strome scored 1.06 point per game in 50 games as 20-year old. That's a good starting point.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The bigger issue with Edmonton is that they dumped all of their kids into the NHL at the same time. How can you hold Jordan Eberle accountable for struggling when Taylor Hall is struggling when Ryan Nugent Hopkins is struggling?

It's not that RNH would be materially better if he was held back, but you can't get an honest reading on an individual player's talent when the whole team around him is overwhelmed.
They weren't playing on a team full of 18 year olds, so why could there be no accountability based on them all playing together at young ages? And their first years those three weren't even struggling.

By what reasoning do you consider them playing their rookie years as detrimental to their development?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They weren't playing on a team full of 18 year olds, so why could there be no accountability based on them all playing together at young ages? And their first years those three weren't even struggling.

By what reasoning do you consider them playing their rookie years as detrimental to their development?

Last time I did read something about Edmonton, it was about the fans thinking that biggest mistake ever was let Ryan Smyth go too early. Because they felt that he would have been a great mentor for their kids, who didn't have any mentors.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
And if we did compete for a playoff spot, either half the conference totally collapsed around us or the kids stepped up in a big way. While I'd like to draft high and grab a D or two, I have a hard time complaining about the kids we have stepping up and being a playoff team.

Teams that will likely be worse than Detroit next season:
Montreal
Ottawa
New York (I)
New York (R)
Buffalo

If Zadina puts up 25-30 goals, and they continue to see growth in Bertuzzi, Mantha Larkin and Athanasiou, this team will absolutely be in a playoff hunt through the entire season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Zadina puts up 25-30 goals, and they continue to see growth in Bertuzzi, Mantha Larkin and Athanasiou, this team will absolutely be in a playoff hunt through the entire season.

Haven't you been saying we are going to be terrible for a long time?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Haven't you been saying we are going to be terrible for a long time?

II guess I just don't understand what people want around here. If you want to lose and try to tank for a top pick, then Zadina has to stay in Grand Rapids. There are too many other terrible teams in the conference, so adding a potential first-line, 30 goal scorer isn't going to help things. If your argument is that Zadina should be in the NHL if he's ready, that's fine. Just don't complain when the team isn't finishing at the bottom like you also want them to do. You can't have it both ways.

Reactions: haulinbass

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
II guess I just don't understand what people want around here. If you want to lose and try to tank for a top pick, then Zadina has to stay in Grand Rapids. There are too many other terrible teams in the conference, so adding a potential first-line, 30 goal scorer isn't going to help things. If your argument is that Zadina should be in the NHL if he's ready, that's fine. Just don't complain when the team isn't finishing at the bottom like you also want them to do. You can't have it both ways.
For starters, we wanted the team to tank before we had the supposed young talent that could contribute to the team (note I said contribute, not spearhead the next cup run). At this point, when you have the prospects who need to be developed, you develop them the best way you think you can. You don't stuff them in the AHL and possibly stifle their development just so you can try to get another bottom pick.

That is considering the fact I am not convinced Rasmussen or Zadina will be good enough to make that kind of dent and hurt our chances at a solid lottery pick, anyway. Larkin and Mantha are probably the biggest threats to that (considering we need top line talent more than we need middle-six talent), and they are already steady roster players. Not to mention this defensive core is not going to do much to win games on its own.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Teams that will likely be worse than Detroit next season:
Montreal
Ottawa
New York (I)
New York (R)
Buffalo

Then we compete for the playoffs and our kids are developing well. :dunno:

Everyone knew that any sort of rebuild didn't come with guarantees or set timelines. If the guys we've drafted take off and hit/exceed expectations...well, they do. That's not really a bad problem to have. It would just be on Holland to take that, work with it, and keep pushing the club forward.

Reactions: njx9

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Then we compete for the playoffs and our kids are developing well. :dunno:

Everyone knew that any sort of rebuild didn't come with guarantees or set timelines. If the guys we've drafted take off and hit/exceed expectations...well, they do. That's not really a bad problem to have. It would just be on Holland to take that, work with it, and keep pushing the club forward.

I'm fine with that, too. The thing is there are some (many) around here who believe this team needs to draft Jack Hughes or similar players for the next few years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think Zadina will be a 30+ goal guy eventually, but not sure why you think he will be that right out of the gates. Most rookies have pretty modest seasons who aren't named McDavid or Matthews.

As far as the other stuff, yeah don't really want to go down that path in this thread.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
even if Zadina did have a nice rookie year at best you're looking at something like a Vanek level impact

if you think it'll make that big of a difference that sounds like more of a reason not to sign Vanek than not to play Zadina to me

Reactions: Winger98

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just like we have with Larkin ,get him 1 more year in minors ,let him have a taste in NHL like 5-9 games and bring him together with Veleno. Play him 3rd line
Veleno-Nielson-Zadina

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad