How many cups do the Johnny-Matty era Leafs win?

How many cups do the Johnny/Matty era Leafs win?

• 3+

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
JjOL.gif

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'll say 1

I really, really like Tavares. And I also think Marner has insane potential. I'm probably less high on Matthews than most - but even me being low on Matthews has him becoming an incredible player. Their front office/coach is very smart too.

I'll say 1.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
How about they win 1 first however I will agree they will be fun to watch. As a Canucks fan I for once will probably tune in to watch a few more Leafs games this year just to see the run and gun hockey. Good luck Leafs I'll be cheering a little for you this coming season for entertaining hockey !!

Reactions: marty111

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If they don't win at least one cup, it'll be a failure.

I know the Stanley cup is hard to win, and a lot of luck goes into it.

But this team will be in cup or bust mode for 7 years now, and those are the expectations that come with the talent.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Said zero until I see how they manage the cap while improving that defence over the next 2 seasons. Willing to change my mind if Dermott/Liljegren turn into top pairing D and they find a way to afford them long-term.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’ll say zero. A lot of good teams never won the Cup. It’s extremely hard and I think the defense still needs an overhaul.
I think they have probably another 6-7 years until JT starts to tail off so that is their best window.
But I don’t see them being quite ready this year so really a 5-6 year window when they’re all at their best.
The good news is that Matthews will still be at his peak then.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Needs to win a playoff series before starting to talk about winning a cup.
Washington just won a cup despite not being able to get past the 2nd round in over a decade. Winnipeg won two series despite not having won a playoff game ever. Sometimes a team can make large steps in a year or so

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
6.5. Tavares is only here for 7 years they someone can give him his actually overpaid contract. They'll win the first 6, but then agree to split the last one with the Coyotes.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Washington just won a cup despite not being able to get past the 2nd round in over a decade. Winnipeg won two series despite not having won a playoff game ever. Sometimes a team can make large steps in a year or so
Definitely don't disagree with your point regarding how quickly things can change and how unpredictable cup winners can be, but Toronto is not currently at the level of the Washington team that just won the cup. That team has two elite centres (similar to Toronto), the best goal scorer likely of all time, the defence man points leader, and arguably the best playoff goalie of the past decade.

Toronto will need some serious internal development to reach that level.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
7 Cups and possibly a World Series because Tavares has generational hand-eye coordination and he could take October off from hockey one year to help the Jays win.

Could also try their hand at CFL, we know the Leafs are pretty good in their throw game.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
nothing against leafs but the east is tough right now. you got Pittsburgh, Washington (who knows this year) Tampa, Boston etc

i mean the pens were almost a wild card team this year. pens vs leafs round 1 anything can happen. point is, its hard when your facing a penguins round 1 then a tampa or boston round 2 and then say a washington round 3? any lucky bounce can mess up an entire season

Reactions: marty111

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I'll say 1.
I think in most cases teams are built with the hope of winning a cup.
Of course some people will want a dynasty and multiple cups but nobody should be disappointed if the total is 1 regardless of which team it is.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I picked zero because of the specifics of the Matthews/Tavares OP. If it was simply about Matthews' career, I might have said 1. Shorter time frame equals less chance of it happening.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Said zero until I see how they manage the cap while improving that defence over the next 2 seasons. Willing to change my mind if Dermott/Liljegren turn into top pairing D and they find a way to afford them long-term.

It must be depressing for you to think the leafs are missing all those pieces, then look at your own team, knowing that they have significantly less talent up front, are terrible at d in comparison, and dont even have a starting goalie as well.....

What does that out you, 5 years away from a playoff spot?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It must be depressing for you to think the leafs are missing all those pieces, then look at your own team, knowing that they have significantly less talent up front, are terrible at d in comparison, and dont even have a starting goalie as well.....

What does that out you, 5 years away from a playoff spot?
It appears you're one of the sensitive Leafs fans. I'm not sure what my assessment of the team has to do with the Oilers. I didn't state that the Oilers were going to win cups, let alone make the playoffs. I understand the massive holes in our lineup that are going to require significant prospect development to fill. It's not my fault you can't recognize your own. It's also not my fault that you can't just have a discussion without defaulting to this pathetic defence mechanism.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It appears you're one of the sensitive Leafs fans. I'm not sure what my assessment of the team has to do with the Oilers. I didn't state that the Oilers were going to win cups, let alone make the playoffs. I understand the massive holes in our lineup that are going to require significant prospect development to fill. It's not my fault you can't recognize your own. It's also not my fault that you can't just have a discussion without defaulting to this pathetic defence mechanism.
I'm not sensitive at all. Your assessment means SFA to me. Im confident the leafs will compete for a cup over the next decade, and are a lock for the playoffs over that time.

It's an observation. Your pointing out holes, yet if you were to line the 2 teams up beside each other thebleafs would have the better player at 20 of the 21 roster spots. It just helps put things in perspective.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not sensitive at all. Your assessment means SFA to me. Im confident the leafs will compete for a cup over the next decade, and are a lock for the playoffs over that time.

It's an observation. Your pointing out holes, yet if you were to line the 2 teams up beside each other thebleafs would have the better player at 20 of the 21 roster spots. It just helps out things in perspective.
You clearly are given your last post. Great, you could have told me you disagreed and made a counter argument, but instead you chose a childish response.

Again, I still have no idea what the Oilers have to do with this, but if you can justify your response in your own head then all the power to you. There's 29 other teams in this league besides the Oilers that Toronto has to compete with. I'm not sure how your 20 of 21 argument addresses that at all in the context of this thread.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You clearly are given your last post. Great, you could have told me you disagreed and made a counter argument, but instead you chose a childish response.

Again, I still have no idea what the Oilers have to do with this, but if you can justify your response in your own head then all the power to you. There's 29 other teams in this league besides the Oilers that Toronto has to compete with. I'm not sure how your 20 of 21 argument addresses that at all in the context of this thread.
It's not hard to figure out. You mentioned holes in the lineup.

Every team has holes. The leafs have among the fewest in the league. They'll be a top 5 team for quite a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad