How many black players on Team Canada??

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

murph_man15 said:
Oh come on people! This was GOLD, GOLD JERRY! Dark! Jamaica! **** YOU ALL!*walks off pissed off*
There's sunlight in Jamaica.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Leafaholix said:
The title isn't ignorant... it's a question.

I like to look at it under a positive light... Canada's producing great players despite what colour they are. Many minorities in this country are playing hockey and we're seeing the result of that now.
YOU may look at it under a positive light, but the original poster who stated the question posted two other questions immediately after: Is MacArthur also black? Could this be a problem if Team Canada and Team Russia meet in the tourney?

Answer: Who cares? No.

leafaholix*

VanIslander said:
YOU may look at it under a positive light, but the original poster who stated the question posted two other questions immediately after: Is MacArthur also black? Could this be a problem if Team Canada and Team Russia meet in the tourney?

Answer: Who cares? No.
He cares. That's why he asked.

It didn't come off as an attempt to start something negative, he was asking because there have been problems with black hockey players in Europe... as well as North America.

Moreso in Europe.

fulk hogan

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
theo_60 said:
Clarke MacArthure's a loser. He tried sleeping with my girlfriend at the time and used the line "I got drafted in the 3rd round, I'll be making the NHL for sure" on her.

Of course she said no, I dont blame her...what would you rather have, a guy who has a shot at the NHL or a bumb playing senior hockey getting tanked after every game?

:)

What's wrong with that line? I use it and I stopped playing at 16. :D

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:
Or Montreal.

Geez... One guy throws a banana peel and the entire city gets a bad reputation because of it. Its not like dozens of Bananas were thrown like in Russia.

Give it a rest already, we know your not Montreal's biggest fan. Your act is getting old.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Tongue in cheek pal, tongue in cheek.

I have nothing against the city or the team.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:
Tongue in cheek pal, tongue in cheek.

I have nothing against the city or the team.

Sure you dont... ;)

I'll be watching you (but not in a creepy stalker kind of way). So stay true to your word.

BCCHL inactive

Wondercarrot said:
To the 2 guys who posted that "this thread makes me sick".

Why?

Is it because you've become so politically correct that now if someone even mentions a colour that you automatically assume that something racist has been said?

That makes me sick. call it a waste of time but to say it "makes you sick"?!?

This thread makes me sick because all it is, is people trading shots and pointing fingers at which world regions are and are not generally racist. How does that relate to this hockey tournament?

And honestly, I could care less who is black and who is white. When I look at Team Canada, I see 20 players who want to bring back a Gold Medal.

Discussing the race of the team's players is simply irrelevant. Do you think the players care?

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
This is worthy of it's own topic... but since the topic is one of the most inane in this boards long (relatively) inane history, I will take this opportunity to intentionally thread-jack this thread. I have read the Hockey's Future Posting Rules: User Conduct FAQ extensively, and know that I am in full violation of subsection 21, and will take my three points as a martyr should it be judged that I receive them. But surely those watching us would be wise enough to want some good to come of this topic:

How about warnings and bans for lowering the cultural level of this board? I've been here for a long time, far longer than my User ID would suggest, and I've seen this board degrade from a content-packed goldmine of prospect info, to an almost useless exchange of partisan dreamery... punctuated by excrement such as this thread. I am employed in the game of hockey, and I once felt intimidated to post my thoughts on players... I long for that feeling once again.

I would like to see people offed for lowering the value of this message board. Thoughts?

Or better yet... ignore this completely, because it took more than ten seconds to read, and continue lambasting the proverbial 'village idiot.' That will be productive.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leafaholix said:
You being from Texas is what made the whole situation so ironic.

That a way to take SmokeyClause's line. You didn't say it because it was "ironic"...you said it to try and bait me. Come on now.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Sparepart said:
Geez... One guy throws a banana peel and the entire city gets a bad reputation because of it. Its not like dozens of Bananas were thrown like in Russia.

Give it a rest already, we know your not Montreal's biggest fan. Your act is getting old.

More irony in this thread...

It isn't like everyone in Russia threw bananas.

It isn't any more justified to think of Russians as racist than Montreal fans. I agree with your point, but your second sentence makes the post hypocritical.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rob Paxon said:

It isn't any more justified to think of Russians as racist than Montreal fans. I agree with your point, but your second sentence makes the post hypocritical.

that's what makes the world go round. as mentioned earlier, it seems that many in the US and Canada to perceive the south to be some kind of racist mecca where everyone flies the stars and bars and has a robe in their closet. to make a point, i live just outside new york city...but grew up in nashville..and can honestly say that i notice a MUCH more prevalent racist attitude here than i ever did in nashville. i've heard some colorful talk about people of different religions, colors and sexual preferences in bars around the city...something that i never really heard down there. racism, sadly, is everywhere...and it's just as wrong to stereotype an entire region in that way...be it alabama, montreal or russia.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
Rob Paxon said:

I never said all of Russia threw Bananas. My point was that dozens of bananas are greater (and worse) then just one banana. I was not at all trying to say that all Russians are banana-throwing racists. Obviously they arent.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Sparepart said:
I never said all of Russia threw Bananas. My point was that dozens of bananas are greater (and worse) then just one banana. I was not at all trying to say that all Russians are banana-throwing racists. Obviously they arent.

I know, and I perhaps should have noted that in my post. You did, however, bring up the Russian incident as if to throw them in the line of fire to save yourself, so to speak; a sacrificial lamb or whatnot. It wasn't really necessary because your post without that line made your case well, while the sentence in question made your sentiment seem hypocritical.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
nomorekids said:
that's what makes the world go round. as mentioned earlier, it seems that many in the US and Canada to perceive the south to be some kind of racist mecca where everyone flies the stars and bars and has a robe in their closet. to make a point, i live just outside new york city...but grew up in nashville..and can honestly say that i notice a MUCH more prevalent racist attitude here than i ever did in nashville. i've heard some colorful talk about people of different religions, colors and sexual preferences in bars around the city...something that i never really heard down there. racism, sadly, is everywhere...and it's just as wrong to stereotype an entire region in that way...be it alabama, montreal or russia.

I haven't been down south for any prolonged amount of time, but I can't imagine it being any more racist than my little New York town. There were never more than 2 or 3 black kids, perhaps even total racial majorities, in my school at the same time from kindergarten right through 'til I dropped out. One year I had to spend a week in the former Senior lounge (got taken away, then hijacked by staff) during the period I should have been in woodshop because the teacher banned me from class. Anyhow, some faculty were in there watching a Final Four game. During the break, there was a car commercial featuring a little black kid in the back seat. One of the teachers actually said, "Look, it's (name of a black student from my class)". Sort of typifies a lot of my area.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
Rob Paxon said:
I know, and I perhaps should have noted that in my post. You did, however, bring up the Russian incident as if to throw them in the line of fire to save yourself, so to speak; a sacrificial lamb or whatnot. It wasn't really necessary because your post without that line made your case well, while the sentence in question made your sentiment seem hypocritical.

Fair enough, but I did not think I was "bringing up" the Russian incident, it was previously mentioned a few times in this thread. I thought Jacobv2 shouldnt have brought the Montreal incident into the thread.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Close this stupid thread already! Jesus, black hockey players, dozens of bananas ... what the heck?

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
HabLover said:
Is MacArthur also black?

Could this be a problem if Team Canada and Team Russia meet in the tourney?

wow that is the stupid postI've seen in a while... just bc someones from russia doesnt make them racist buddy...

Badger Bob

Smart Alek said:
This is worthy of it's own topic... but since the topic is one of the most inane in this boards long (relatively) inane history, I will take this opportunity to intentionally thread-jack this thread. I have read the Hockey's Future Posting Rules: User Conduct FAQ extensively, and know that I am in full violation of subsection 21, and will take my three points as a martyr should it be judged that I receive them. But surely those watching us would be wise enough to want some good to come of this topic:

How about warnings and bans for lowering the cultural level of this board? I've been here for a long time, far longer than my User ID would suggest, and I've seen this board degrade from a content-packed goldmine of prospect info, to an almost useless exchange of partisan dreamery... punctuated by excrement such as this thread. I am employed in the game of hockey, and I once felt intimidated to post my thoughts on players... I long for that feeling once again.

I would like to see people offed for lowering the value of this message board. Thoughts?

Or better yet... ignore this completely, because it took more than ten seconds to read, and continue lambasting the proverbial 'village idiot.' That will be productive.

Thank goodness there's somebody with the proper perspective. The problem is that there are far too many people who post without thinking. They simply cannot wait to hit the reply button. In effect, they're saying, "everybody has to know how I feel, at this moment!" Usually, these members have astronomical post counts, which demonstrate the high level of drivel being posted. (This, of course, leads to wasted bandwidth, but that's a story for another day.)

Basically, The Lounge largely became a cesspool. It's so ridiculous, that there are threads started for birthdays. Somebody actually suggested starting a special section. Yet, nobody suggested deleting them. Hmm. Anyway, that level has infiltrated much of the rest of the board.

Now, there are exceptions. Obviously, part of the problem is the lack of NHL hockey has had an effect on the psyche. However, as you correctly pointed out, there has been a degradation in the overall board culture. This particular thread is on a hockey board. All anybody has to do is peruse the posts (not to mention compare its length with the others in this forum) to begin to question who's really interested in serious discussions about hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad