How long until a goalie earns more than 10.5M per season (Price)?

How long until a goalie earns more than 10.5M per season (Price)?

• Total voters

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Depends on 1) when a team decides to build around a goalie next or 2) how fast inflation due to rising cap catches up to Price's salary cap range.

My guess is the latter happens first, and within 5 years. A few possibilities:

Bobrosvky @ 7.425m (UFA this year)
Holtby @ 6.1m (UFA 2020)
Vasilevskiy @3.5m (UFA 2020)
Andersen @ 5m (UFA 2021)
Rask @ 7.0m (UFA 2021)
Helleybuyck @ 6.2m (UFA 2024)
Jones @ 5.75m (UFA 2024)

Last edited:

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Depends on 1) when a team decides to build around a goalie next or 2) how fast inflation due to rising cap catches up to Price's salary cap range.

My guess is the latter happens first, and within 5 years. A few possibilities:

Bobrosvky @ 7.425m (UFA this year)
Holtby @ 6.1m (UFA 2020)
Andersen @ 5m (2021)
Rask @ 7.0m (UFA 2021)
Helleybuyck @ 6.2m (UFA 2024)
Jones @ 5.75m (UFA 2024)

I don't think any of those will touch 10M to be honest.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I think all of them will get a raise at the end of their contract. Among those, I think Bob, Holtby and Rask will probably be close to the 8-10m range. Holtby being on the lower end of that range.

I see Bobrovsky getting about 9M this off-season on a long term deal (6-7 years) but he could get a better average for less years.

I still think he's gonna get less than Price so I think we're past 2024 before any goaltender get to 10.5M

Reactions: DaveG

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Maybe Bobrovsky will sign for more? I really don’t know. I doubt it.

I’m thinking Vasilevskiy will re-sign with Tampa at a decent price as well.

I can’t really see any goalie signing for more than Price did if Bobrovsky doesn’t this offseason (and I doubt he does) anytime soon.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I just dont think any goalie is worth that kind of money. Because that high of a cap on a goalie makes it more likely you are icing a worse team than your opponent.

Just look at the Canadiens after Price contract havent been close. The Canadiens doesnt really have any bad contracts either (Except Alzner who are buried). Weber is gonna be bad in some years and Price is okey now, but will most likely be quite bad towards the end. They have some cap space and with the right signings they might be a quite good team, but they are nowhere near the top. I think its a lot better paying a top C that contract.

Because the difference between the top 15 goalies arent big enough to have that huge difference in salary. A goalie like Price might steal a game more than some of the others, but if you get dominated on the ice no goalie will consistently outplay the other goalies enough to make them worth it.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
People really think it'll be 10+ years?? Hank got $8.5M in 2014/15 and it only took 4 years to make the jump to $10.5M. The cap goes up, contracts get bigger.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I just dont think any goalie is worth that kind of money. Because that high of a cap on a goalie makes it more likely you are icing a worse team than your opponent.

Just look at the Canadiens after Price contract havent been close. The Canadiens doesnt really have any bad contracts either (Except Alzner who are buried). Weber is gonna be bad in some years and Price is okey now, but will most likely be quite bad towards the end. They have some cap space and with the right signings they might be a quite good team, but they are nowhere near the top. I think its a lot better paying a top C that contract.

Because the difference between the top 15 goalies arent big enough to have that huge difference in salary. A goalie like Price might steal a game more than some of the others, but if you get dominated on the ice no goalie will consistently outplay the other goalies enough to make them worth it.

...You realize this is Price's first year, right?

Noldo

May 28, 2007
People really think it'll be 10+ years?? Hank got $8.5M in 2014/15 and it only took 4 years to make the jump to $10.5M. The cap goes up, contracts get bigger.

Starting goalies are bit of an exception because there are so limited numbers of roles available, so over next 5 years there won’t be more than dozen established starters signing their next contract. Still, since goalie is the most difficult position to hide or change, we could well see GMs opting for salary instead of term and then Price’s 10.5 AAV could be surpassed surprisingly quickly even if the total value of his deal would not be touched.

But Subban is highest paid defenseman for what, five years? Until next season when Doughty’s contract kicks in? I could imagine Price being the highest paid throughout his contract so 10 years isn’t that much of a stretch, although I find 5-10 years much more likely.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Frederik Andersen will probably ask for a close AAV when his deal is up in a couple of years. Similar to Price when he signed his deal, Andersen has to see a ton of shots and needs to be at his best to keep his team in games.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dubas let him walk and go with Sparks based off his 43 games in the AHL last year.

Reactions: TheKrewe

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It honestly shouldn't be for a long long time but GMs are dumb so likely sooner than that haha.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Well who do you think is gonna get that much?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Price had kind of a perfect storm happen for him. I can't think of any other goalie in the league today with that (hypothetically, Vasi or Gibson could get there as young guys, but i don't see it in the immediate future).

1. He had won the hart/lindsay trophy - in a pretty unanimous fashion too
2. The Olympic Gold + strong Olympic performance helped
3. His reputation in the NHL is STELLAR. Every year - the past 2 seasons combined, that includes his worst season ever last year - the players voted him the best goalie in the world (and by a big margin).

Bob doesn't have a hart and lindsay. He also has a lot of very bad performances in the playoffs (Price hasn't won a cup, but generally has done well in the playoffs) - and his reputation isn't as strong as Price. To me there's no chance he touches 10.5M$ as a UFA.

I voted in the next 10 years. The cap keeps going up so eventually someone will absolutely earn more than that - but i don't see any goalie in the next 3 years earning that, and even 5 years at first impression i'm thinking no. Within 10 years - sure.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Habs jumped the gun with the Price deal, I mean sure he would have commanded a lot. in free agency but I really think they could have settled closer to 9. Seems like Bergevin just told Price to write down his number and they accepted it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad