How long is the Leafs 'window' open?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I would say their "window" is 5-7 years, maybe 10 if they can do some minor tweaks along the way, but 5ish is a healthier window. The best way to predict the future is look at the past, the Leafs were solid from 91'95 '(4 years) , they were brutal between 96'-98', 99-04' (6 years), round if off and the windows about 5 (if you include last year)

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
May take another year or two to where the team really wants to be, but there are pieces in place to support a good 8 to 10 year run, and possibly longer.

Leafsfan1028

Mar 5, 2013
Guelph
I'd say about 5 years as well. By then:
-Lupul's contact will be over and he'll be 35.
-JVR's contract will be over.
-Kessel's will be out of his prime (scoring peaks early for most players.
-Phaneuf will be out of his prime as well.
-Bozak's contract will be up and he'll be out of his prime.

Having said that Gardiner, Rielly, Bernier, Kadri, JVR and a few others should still have some great years left so we may be able to move some of our older players for picks and prospects and younger players and hopefully do more of a retool then a complete scorched earth style rebuild (ie Edmonton.
Having said that it's very hard to project the roster 5 years from now though because I doubt anybody thought our roster would be what it is now 5 years ago.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
3-4 years

people say that the leafs will be good this year but better in 2 years I have to disagree. This team is built to win NOW.

It totally depends on if our defence puts it together this year, which it could. IMO, our forwards and goaltending will be just as deep this year as it will anytime in the next 5 years.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs have successfully showed that they are resilient, talented, tough and I am excited so see what the can do under a full season of Carlyle. I feel this is the beginning of a long run for the Leafs.

So given the current roster's age and contracts, how long do you think they can maintain the core of players they have, and hopefully challenge for a Cup?

We have a big window. (Kessel 26, JVR 24, Lupul 30, Bernier/Reimer 25, Bolland 27, Franson 26) I could go on, but this team is fairly young, most of our core are either in their prime or entering in their prime and I haven't even mentioned a kid like Rielly who is just going to keep getting better. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad