How long is the Leafs 'window' open?

HookeyPlayer

Jan 30, 2012
The Leafs have successfully showed that they are resilient, talented, tough and I am excited so see what the can do under a full season of Carlyle. I feel this is the beginning of a long run for the Leafs.

So given the current roster's age and contracts, how long do you think they can maintain the core of players they have, and hopefully challenge for a Cup?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
These conversations stress me out.
Considering this is the first year that I'd say about 50% or more folks think we will make the playoffs, we should have a fairly big window. Our best players are all 30 and under as well

snizzbone*

5 solid years with this group before a marginally big retool.

Ace88*

6-8 years i reckon. maybe longer depending what happens at the 5 year mark

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Nobody considered NJ a contender when they made the cup finals
Did anyone think L.A was a contender the year they won the cup?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Considering Kadri, Bernier, Rielly, Gardiner, Kessel, Reimer and JVR are all under 26, add Phaneuf, Lupul Clarkson are under 30. Most are locked up or controlled long term so quite a while IMO.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Like others have said, 5 years sounds about right.

I'll be happy if we can make it to the second round of the playoffs this season.
The next 3-4 seasons we should be considered contenders. About the time when things start to come together for Gardiner and Rielly.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
our window is open for a long, long time.

Lupul will be the first core player to exit the window, and he still has a good 5yrs before that happens.

We don't have to worry about any windows closing for at least 7-8 years at the earliest.

snizzbone*

Yes.. everyone did. They were one of the heavy favourites going into the year. Slumped all regular season because they played playoff hockey instead of regular season hockey, and then dominated in the post season.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
To be honest, I think this year could be the year we might have the best shot going for the cup - this year we got Frason, Raymond etc. for cheap, and even if the cap will be raised next year, i dont think we can keep everybody...so it is very possible our team should have less depth next year...and might take some steps back..

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
4-5 years, I only say that because Phaneuf probably has 4-5 prime years left max.

You find a replacement for him and we could go 2-3 years longer.

this is our first contention year IMO, we'll improve next year and the year after I'd say.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Nobody considered NJ a contender when they made the cup finals
A better example would be to have picked Anaheim, and Carolina instead of L.A. since they only played poorly but were favorites before the season.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
To be honest, I think this year could be the year we might have the best shot going for the cup - this year we got Frason, Raymond etc. for cheap, and even if the cap will be raised next year, i dont think we can keep everybody...so it is very possible our team should have less depth next year...and might take some steps back..

This offseason could prove to be one of the most important for the Leafs, long term, in quite a while. In conjunction with the cap and cap management, the Leafs need to decide on;

Phaneuf
Franson
Fraser
Ranger
Bolland
Kulemin
McClement

RFA Reimer

and RFA"s Gardiner and Kadri in two years

Some very important peices to the team, and likely not all can be brought back. Tough decisions coming up for the Leafs, and will likely effect the future success of the team moving forward.
Raymond

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
5 years, at least. Depending how our drafting goes as well as what Nonis is able to manage with resigning people, potential of big name free agents wanting to come here and win if we become a legit contender who knows who we could attract.

Either way the future is bright for another 5 years barring horrific injuries to Kessel/Bernier/Reimer.

leafer88*

To be honest, as far as contenders go, we still need a better D corps. If nonis can address that I think we could have 4-5 years where we would have a good chance any given year.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
It all depends on the capabilities of your management and drafting.

If you asked me 5 years ago if San Jose would be a cup contender with a 34 year old Thornton, 34 year old Marleau and 37 year old Boyle in the 2013-2014 season, I probably would have said no. But here we are with San Jose being one of the best teams. In large part because of their trading, signings and developing.

5 years from now, all of our core (except Lupul (35)) would still be younger than 34.

So really, it could be no window, it could be a 5 year window, it could be a 10 year window. Just going to have to revisit this in the future :)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
3-4 years

people say that the leafs will be good this year but better in 2 years I have to disagree. This team is built to win NOW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad