How long before team USA is on par with Canada?

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
The US has an absolute boatload of young exciting talent coming up.. with guys like Eichel, Matthews, the Tkachuk bros, Connor, Boeser, and guys like Seth Jones and Trouba on the back end. How soon do you think these guys can be on par with team Canada at the olympics? (Provided the NHL actually goes). I’m a Canadian but the future of US hockey and team USA is bright as ever, and it’s pretty scary tbh...

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
US has some high end guys but Canada's roster is high end top to bottom.

I suspect that as hockey grows in popularity throughout the US that the gap will slowly close, but in this generation and maybe the next Canada still has the edge.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They are already on par and will win Gold if the NHL goes to the next Olympics.

Reactions: Jtown

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
The US is getting closer and closer, but they don't have the defense that Canada can throw out. Their top-end forwards are amazing, but when you're playing against Crosby or McDavid, you're playing against two of the best centres in the last 25 years.

Canada also has Price, who I feel is just struggling because his team's a mess. He would be great behind Canada's blue-line again.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
The US has an absolute boatload of young exciting talent coming up.. with guys like Eichel, Matthews, the Tkachuk bros, Connor, Boeser, and guys like Seth Jones and Trouba on the back end. How soon do you think these guys can be on par with team Canada at the olympics? (Provided the NHL actually goes). I’m a Canadian but the future of US hockey and team USA is bright as ever, and it’s pretty scary tbh...
  • Crosby
  • McDavid
  • MacKinnon
  • Doughty
  • Tavares
  • Marner
  • Benn
  • Giroux
  • Bergeron
  • Marchand
  • Subban
  • Seguin
  • Hall
  • OReilly
  • Letang
  • Point
  • Barzal
  • Couturier
  • Scheifle
  • Rielly
  • Dumba
  • Barrie
  • and on and on
Kidding me dude?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
People need to be careful extrapolating a short term trend to something long term. The States have obviously had a string of elite talent enter the league while it has been a bit of a downturn for Canada....it will swing back the other way. Let's not forget that there was the exact same talk in the late 90s.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Canada has guys they have relied on aging quickly.

US has a bunch of young talent that may be a little better but def. on par with Canada.

Like someone else stated. As hockey becomes more popular here, that gap will begin to close much quicker.

Problem is, hockey here is probably the 4th or 5th most popular sport. We aren’t born here and shoved into the sport or idolize hockey players growing up.

If you are a very good athlete, these other sports pay a heck of a lot better than hockey. So I still don’t think that’s American hockey is getting its best athletes.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp

US has a bunch of young talent that may be a little better but def. on par with Canada.

Like someone else stated. As hockey becomes more popular here, that gap will begin to close much quicker.

Problem is, hockey here is probably the 4th or 5th most popular sport. We aren’t born here and shoved into the sport or idolize hockey players growing up.

If you are a very good athlete, these other sports pay a heck of a lot better than hockey. So I still don’t think that’s American hockey is getting its best athletes.
we've got some pretty good young guns too, sheesh

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Canada's best is better than the US' best. In a game where no power plays were had, and the goalies were all on point it would be 3-1 Canada.

But with goalies being head cases, and power plays, and players not always playing their best, or playing afraid to lose you never know what would happen.

I feel like the US would overthink things, trying to select shutdown guys against McDavid and Crosby and not get enough scoring, and you can't really shut down either when they're playing their best. (Mcdavid is still at a point a game vs Vlasic)

Conversely i could see Babcock overthinking things too and spreading out minutes.
You play Conner and Crosby 25 min each let your 3rd and 4th fight over the last 10 minutes. Even if you go up a lot of goals, you need to keep those two in a rythym in case the US fights back.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Sports like hockey require a lifetime of dedication. People dont start playing hockey for the money. Tyke hockey doesnt pay

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
At the end of the day, hockey is Canada’s number one sport and it is by a country mile.

They should be better than the US in hockey when they are getting all of their talent in the system.

It’s the equivalent of Canada playing the US in football or basketball.

Albeit the gap is a heck of a lot closer in terms of hockey than those other two sports.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Sports like hockey require a lifetime of dedication. People dont start playing hockey for the money. Tyke hockey doesnt pay

Depending on your viewpoint of what happens with some of these kids at major colleges and if they get a kickback for going there, none of these US sports pay if they are not professional athletes.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
At the end of the day, hockey is Canada’s number one sport and it is by a country mile.

They should be better than the US in hockey when they are getting all of their talent in the system.

It’s the equivalent of Canada playing the US in football or basketball.

Albeit the gap is a heck of a lot closer in terms of hockey than those other two sports.
Well US has ten times the population and has been involved in amateur and pro hockey since the beginning. Soccer is now the fastest growing sport here by far due to our immigration policies

Reactions: Sniperr

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
By the time Auston Matthews is 40 and the next generation of talented Americans are in the league, they will be on par with Canada. No doubt in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad