How is Blake Wheeler doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Gwyddbwyll said:
I'm fascinated to hear what personal insight you have to make this statement about Leneveu. Regardless, I doubt it invalidates my point that describing him and especially that pick as merely "decent" was a total misnomer.

I didn't say it invalidates his pick as #46 being decent. He was a good pick @ #46. Does this alone mean he should be top 10? IMO, no.

My personal insight? My personal insight is, that Leneveu isn't a top 10 goalie prospect. Aren't I allowed to disagree with you? Is that it?

I see the following as being ahead (no particular order):

Lehtonen
Fleury
Toivonen
Ouellet
Bryzgalov
Lundqvist
Schwarz
Montoya
Niittymäki

On par (both sides):

Leclaire
Miller
Emery
Harding
Auld
JDD

I probably even forgot some good contenders for the top 10.

Leneveu is "decent" ? Try top 10 goaltender prospect.

Just to remind you, what you said. Some may consider Leneveu a top 10 goalie, which I don't, but you can't be that sure about it.

Sorry I forgot, disagreeing with you=stupid homerism.

My bad, won't happen again.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Diaboli said:
I didn't say it invalidates his pick as #46 being decent. He was a good pick @ #46. Does this alone mean he should be top 10? IMO, no.

I think you misunderstood my point then. I was saying it wasnt just a decent pick. It was an excellent pick, particularly given how few people knew about him at the time and how weak the draft was.

My personal insight? My personal insight is, that Leneveu isn't a top 10 goalie prospect. Aren't I allowed to disagree with you? Is that it?

No that's not it. I was referring to insights like.... you know.... actually having seen him play and having a criticism on something like technique, foot speed, stickhandling. Things like that?

I see the following as being ahead (no particular order):

etc

Just to remind you, what you said. Some may consider Leneveu a top 10 goalie, which I don't, but you can't be that sure about it.

And you made this list based on what? Viewings? What do you *see* in him that doesnt place him on that level? These are genuine questions. As a Coyote fan I am interested in any informed perspective, positive or negative.

Even if you consider him questionable as a top 10 goaltender, he's still considerably closer to that than being an average "decent" pick.

Sorry I forgot, disagreeing with you=stupid homerism.

My bad, won't happen again.

Homerism? You arent making a lot of sense. I'm the Coyotes fan.. you should be accusing me of homerism. I disagree with you certainly but only because you contradict most informed opinion without offering any substantiation to your opinion so far.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Diaboli said:

So, I'm sure that the scouts at Mckeen's have seen all of these goalies many many more times than you, or I. Furthermore, I'm sure that the people at McKeens have seen many many more goalie prospects, in general, develop.

I guess my question is, so, why should I take your word over theirs?

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
rt said:
So, I'm sure that the scouts at Mckeen's have seen all of these goalies many many more times than you, or I. Furthermore, I'm sure that the people at McKeens have seen many many more goalie prospects, in general, develop.

I guess my question is, so, why should I take your word over theirs?

Do all the other scout services have him in top 10? I don't know, 'cos I don't order them...

I don't remember saying you should take my word for it. Just said my opinion. I have no need to try and influence other peoples opinions. This is a forum you know, you tell other people your opinions and views on things, and get the same in return.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Gwyddbwyll said:
I think you misunderstood my point then. I was saying it wasnt just a decent pick. It was an excellent pick, particularly given how few people knew about him at the time and how weak the draft was.

Ok

No that's not it. I was referring to insights like.... you know.... actually having seen him play and having a criticism on something like technique, foot speed, stickhandling. Things like that?

Only seen him play on three games. Two Cincinnati games late last year. Below average puck control, which led to lots of rebounds infront of the net. I didn't think his lateral movement was as good as many have said, but still pretty good.

The third was some Springfield game. Don't remember that much about it, so won't comment on that one.

And I agree with you on your becoming comment, that points out about the lack of PVG. But then again, I haven't seen others there that many times either live, so if anything, I'm equally uncompetent to comment on these players game ;) Are you?

And you made this list based on what? Viewings? What do you *see* in him that doesnt place him on that level? These are genuine questions. As a Coyote fan I am interested in any informed perspective, positive or negative.

I think I answered this already.

Even if you consider him questionable as a top 10 goaltender, he's still considerably closer to that than being an average "decent" pick.

I think I already agreed with you on that one.

Homerism? You arent making a lot of sense. I'm the Coyotes fan.. you should be accusing me of homerism.

Yes, bad choice of words. If you didn't get what I meant, it doesn't matter.

I disagree with you certainly but only because you contradict most informed opinion without offering any substantiation to your opinion so far.

Where did you get that most informed opinion? Certainly not from here, though I know that these boards aren't the only hockey relating site.

HF top 50 has 11 goalies in it. None of them is David Leveneu.

HF fans top 50 has 10 goalies in it. None of them is David Leveneu.

Since I don't subscribe to any McKeens or CSS or anything like that, I have no idea if they all rank Leveneu in their respective top 10 goalies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gwyddbwyll said:
It doesnt just "look" better - it is already equal since Draper has produced as many NHLers in 4 years as the previous 5 years did. These guys with potential are actually above and beyond this - so if as likely, a few make it through, they are extra.

Exactly what do you base this on? Of everyone picked in Draper's four drafts, 2 (Sjostrom and Spiller) have played more than 10 NHL games. If there was hockey right now, Briere, Esche, Letowski, Vaananen, Kolanos, Abid, and possibly Wallin would have NHL jobs. That's 6-7 guys. Brutal on both ends, but to say that Draper has produced more NHL players is just factually wrong.

Gwyddbwyll said:
Actually Sjostrom is pretty good when you look at the rubbish forwards taken after him. Only Hemsky stands out.

The next two guys selected, Hamhuis and Hemsky, are miles ahead of Sjostrom. Kobasew, taken next after that, is comparable, but probably ahead of Sjostrom as well. Is Sjostrom a bad pick? No, he'll be a quality 15-goal third-line player for Phoenix, and that's not an awful return. Is it a really good pick? Clearly not.

Gwyddbwyll said:
I dont think you know anything about Podlesak to describe him as rubbish. He was a fantastic prospect and in 2002 was rated Phoenix's best prospect and one of the top 50 by NHL GM's. Three successive severe concussions have put his career in jeopardy.. its amazing he's even playing hockey again.

I'm very familiar with Podlesak, and saw him play quite a bit in the WHL. I thought it was an awful pick when Phoenix took him as high as they did in 2001, and nothing has changed. Big body with decent mobility, but didn't have the skills to be a top-6 forward in the NHL nor the grit to be a bottom-6 guy. Awkward as hell. Czech version of Jeff Toms.

Gwyddbwyll said:
Oh really.. Toivonen? And you talk about remembering to rate people how they used to be seen? Koreis was ranked WAY higher than Toivonen at the time.

2002 was a terrible draft year, surely you know this. Its easy to play games and build a "superdraft" three years later. Considering this, Leneveu was a GREAT pick at #45.. a top 10 goalie prospect out of all recent drafts. Zeiler is not that great a prospect.. I am guessing you dont really know these guys because Callahan is a significantly better prospect than Zeiler and probably Jones too. Leneveu is getting ready to enter the NHL and Koreis and Eager look like solid bets to play as well. Just because they have limited upsides of third liners doesnt make them bad picks, actually if they reach it, they'll be better picks than half the first round. I believe I said 4 or 5 of these guys will at least play in the NHL rather than all of them becoming career NHLers. That would still be an excellent draft class in a terrible year, on a par with virtually any other NHL team.

Give me a break. Yes, it was a weak draft. But Phoenix had one of the weakest drafts that year, especially given the picks they had. Eager and Koreis were brutal picks. Looking at the guys taken between picks 19 and 25, who were on the table for Phoenix to select, these guys are (easily) the two worst selections right now. These are *not* solid bets. Koreis looks like a total washout, while Eager does have 4th line potential. A couple mid-round picks developing decently doesn't come close to erasing the rotten first round at this point.

Wait another 2-3 years and see how bad this draft ends up looking. As I said previously, Phoenix's 1998 and 1999 drafts looked decent a couple years afterward, too.

I'm not familiar with Callahan, but Jones is more highly regarded as far as I know.

Gwyddbwyll said:
A reach? This is a bad thing? Isnt that what a 'steal' is? Considering he went on to become the WHL scoring leader, this is one reach that looks like a good pick with hindsight.

A reach is a player who goes well ahead of where he should have gone. Scoring points in the WHL doesn't mean much if you don't have the tools to be a quality pro. My guess is he'll struggle pretty badly next year in the AHL.

Gwyddbwyll said:
Sorry but your analysis is brutal. Leneveu is "decent" ? Try top 10 goaltender prospect.

I'd have him at 12-18 goaltender prospect. As I said, good pick. But in Draper's first three drafts this is to me the only really good pick Draper made, along with maybe Gelech.

Gwyddbwyll said:
Briere and Esche were not really home runs that they may appear. Briere caused problems for 95% of his time here and Esche never played well for us. Regardless, Draper has gotten us just as many NHLers already and its highly likely late bloomers will start adding to the numbers.

This is irrelevant. The scouting staff's job is to identify guys who have the tools to become quality NHL players. Whether they develop in Phoenix or elsewhere, the scouting staff was still correct with the original pick and deserve full credit. If Eager develops into a standout with Philly, then Draper deserves kudos for his selection, regardless of the fact that he was dealt.

And again, Draper has not gotten you more NHLers.

Gwyddbwyll said:
It was *terrible* before Draper, now its merely average. Go back and look at Focht, Safronov, KELMAN and you'll start appreciating guys like Sjostrom and Leneveu a little better.

As I said, I see zero improvement. Little skill drafted up front, nothing on the blueline. Few quality picks. No stud position players in the system, aside from Ballard who was not a Phoenix draft. Obviously we're not going to agree.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Diaboli said:
And I agree with you on your becoming comment, that points out about the lack of PVG. But then again, I haven't seen others there that many times either live, so if anything, I'm equally uncompetent to comment on these players game ;) Are you?

Well its good you've seen him at least. He's still played well enough in the AHL to become a two time All-Star.

Where did you get that most informed opinion? Certainly not from here, though I know that these boards aren't the only hockey relating site.

I'm a Coyotes fan and draft addict. I've been reading informed opinions of dozens of experienced hockey analysts since Draper annoyed all of us by picking some obscure goalie called Leneveu instead of someone more hyped like Daniel Fernholm.

HF top 50 has 11 goalies in it. None of them is David Leveneu.

HF fans top 50 has 10 goalies in it. None of them is David Leveneu.

Please. HF polls are notoriously skewed because the boards are dominated by fans of the big teams. Regardless, both of those lists had David Leneveu right on the borderline.

There is nothing to say many of these goalies are better.. in fact Leneveu has broken records and outperformed quite a few - JDD and Ward were sent home after direct competition in trials. We're not talking about HF voters here who have barely even seen him play but experienced international and club coaches making this judgement.

Since I don't subscribe to any McKeens or CSS or anything like that, I have no idea if they all rank Leveneu in their respective top 10 goalies.

Didnt the earlier post stating McKeens had him 6th give you a clue? :)

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Gwyddbwyll said:
Please. HF polls are notoriously skewed because the boards are dominated by fans of the big teams. Regardless, both of those lists had David Leneveu right on the borderline.

Didnt the earlier post stating McKeens had him 6th give you a clue? :)

I agree with you on HF polls. How about HFstaff?

Yes it did. I've understood, that many agencies have very different kind of rankings, and that's why, I just wanted to know, if some other agencies had him that high in their lists, thats all...

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
MS said:
Exactly what do you base this on? Of everyone picked in Draper's four drafts, 2 (Sjostrom and Spiller) have played more than 10 NHL games. If there was hockey right now, Briere, Esche, Letowski, Vaananen, Kolanos, Abid, and possibly Wallin would have NHL jobs. That's 6-7 guys. Brutal on both ends, but to say that Draper has produced more NHL players is just factually wrong.

Not quoting everything to make this shorter but it is factually correct:

Previous regime: Briere, Esche, Letowski, Vaananen, Kolanos - 5
New regime: Abid, Radivojevic, Sjostrom, Spiller, Taffe - 5

To explain - Abid and Radivojevic were both Draper picks at Colorado and both developed by Draper at Phoenix. They are Draper's men. Also I clearly stipulated developed by Draper.

Secondly only Vaananen was a really good pick. Briere was a headache and a failure most of his time here and Coyotes fans would not have him back even now.

Thirdly and most importantly, you arent judging them on the same standards. As you said - take a snapshot. 2003 and 2004 cannot possibly be expected to yield their crop NHLers already! That's half Draper's years. Whereas 1996-2000 have run their course. Effectively you compared 5 years to 2. If you want to do a proper comparision, go back to a point in 2000. At that time, Briere was considered a total bust and every team passed on him in the waivers. Esche was seen as a crappy back-up and Kolanos wasnt even on the radar. That brings the number of NHLers down to 3

As for Sjostrom. I dont think you're being balanced in rating Kobasew ahead of him. Kobasew was sent down to the AHL several times because of holes in his game. And despite playing a more offensive role and being a year ahead in his development, he still scored less goals than Sjostrom last year despite playing something like 20+ more games.

John Madden and Jere Lehtinen are also "15 goal third-liners". Yet they are extremely valuable players that are very hard to acquire. Sjostrom is that kind of player. We'll see if he fulfils his potential but dismissing him as a bad pick is foolhardy. Indeed lots of people who called him a bust a year after the draft are looking pretty stupid. No Coyote fan would take Kobasew ahead of him now (and Kobasew was an extremely popular pick at the time due to his Kolanos link).

As for Podlesak, you may not like him but many hockey experts did, including NHL GMs. I dont know why you say nothing has changed - three grade 3 concussions have changed things.

Callahan / Jones? Again you seem a little behind speed (not that anyone should expect you to be bang up to date on every prospect). Jones was seen as the better prospect but has stalled a little at UND while Callahan has been making more progress at a higher level.

Anyway, Phoenix played it safe in 2002 with their first round picks and I can see the logic. Kories FYI is not a washout. He's made steady progress. Its unspectacular but its a good policy in a craptacular draft year. Go back to 1996 and cover your eyes at how many 1st rounders failed to even make it. Again I say Phoenix had a relatively good draft compared to most of the NHL - which is what you have to judge it by. Not by the standards of other years - its stupid to compare it directly to 2003 (when potential franchise players were going in the 2nd round), but by what each of the 30 teams got out of the draft.

Anyway we'll see.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Diaboli said:
I agree with you on HF polls. How about HFstaff?

Yes it did. I've understood, that many agencies have very different kind of rankings, and that's why, I just wanted to know, if some other agencies had him that high in their lists, thats all...

HF staff is more credible but still not quite on the level of professionals. They are just posters doing it for the love of the game and generally are good authorities on their pool of prospects which tends not to include those like Leneveu, Shishkanov, prospects in hockey backwaters.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
MS said:
The next two guys selected, Hamhuis and Hemsky, are miles ahead of Sjostrom. Kobasew, taken next after that, is comparable, but probably ahead of Sjostrom as well. Is Sjostrom a bad pick? No, he'll be a quality 15-goal third-line player for Phoenix, and that's not an awful return. Is it a really good pick? Clearly not.

We'll have to wait and see on Sjostrom. I'm of the opinion that in time, it will be considered a really good pick. Then again, i'm biased and ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad