TV: How I Met Your Father

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Is there a target audience for this lol?
I’m guessing they’re banking on there being enough die-hard HIMYM fans who will watch it because they liked the original.

HIMYM was popular but not exactly “Seinfeld” or “Friends” level, I can’t imagine this show is going to work.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
grimace-clint-eastwood.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh.

One of the interesting aspects of HIMYM is that it was the first sitcom I followed about a romantic-inclined cast that was the same age as me when it was airing, so the situations they were going through were happening at the same time in my real life.

When Friends came out, I was still living at home and then heading off to college.

So it's possible that I just don't have anything in common with this cast now.

Or it's not funny. But often the first season of a sitcom isn't particularly funny. It just needs to be watched enough for another season or two so the writers can get a hang of the characters.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh.

One of the interesting aspects of HIMYM is that it was the first sitcom I followed about a romantic-inclined cast that was the same age as me when it was airing, so the situations they were going through were happening at the same time in my real life.

When Friends came out, I was still living at home and then heading off to college.

So it's possible that I just don't have anything in common with this cast now.

Or it's not funny. But often the first season of a sitcom isn't particularly funny. It just needs to be watched enough for another season or two so the writers can get a hang of the characters.
The most notable thing about HIMYM was they hung out at a bar instead of a coffee shop/diner/someplace else. And NPH was funny for a network sitcom character.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
The most notable thing about HIMYM was they hung out at a bar instead of a coffee shop/diner/someplace else. And NPH was funny for a network sitcom character.
NPH's character has aged so poorly that it's almost cringey at times. I don't watch much network TV at all anymore, but I can't imagine they'd get away with even half of Barney's lines and exploits in today's entertainment climate.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
NPH's character has aged so poorly that it's almost cringey at times. I don't watch much network TV at all anymore, but I can't imagine they'd get away with even half of Barney's lines and exploits in today's entertainment climate.
Definitely crossed the line to problematic a few times.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Man I thought they gave up on this idea. And they should have.

Well I still think the idea holds as it did back then that you're not supposed to think Barney was cool or an admirable guy. You laugh at how socially unacceptable it is and enjoy it when you see the shades of a decent guy behind it all.

I mean in theory. I think it hasn't aged well just because it's not funny as it was when I was younger.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I had that same discussion with my wife while she was watching it one night. Some of that shit so weird. I'm sure the show didn't mean badly but it would never fly today.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Watched HIMYM through again before it goes off Netflix.. and yeah, most of the charm always has been that it was telling stories when you were going through similar periods in your own life.

Season 9 sucked so hard though, killing off the mother and the whole Robin storyline.. just trash.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Well I still think the idea holds as it did back then that you're not supposed to think Barney was cool or an admirable guy. You laugh at how socially unacceptable it is and enjoy it when you see the shades of a decent guy behind it all.

I mean in theory. I think it hasn't aged well just because it's not funny as it was when I was younger.
That is true, idk about you, I was about 27 the first time I watched it so I always found his shticks to be pretty whack. A lot of the stuff crossed the line into like date rape-y vibes and things which would cause instant twitter meltdowns. (Not that that's uncommon these days anyway).

I had that same discussion with my wife while she was watching it one night. Some of that shit so weird. I'm sure the show didn't mean badly but it would never fly today.
Yeah most of it was good natured type of "sleazy dog trying to pick up any lady he can", but a lot definitely crossed the line.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That is true, idk about you, I was about 27 the first time I watched it so I always found his shticks to be pretty whack. A lot of the stuff crossed the line into like date rape-y vibes and things which would cause instant twitter meltdowns. (Not that that's uncommon these days anyway).

Yeah most of it was good natured type of "sleazy dog trying to pick up any lady he can", but a lot definitely crossed the line.

I mean the other main characters are constantly berating him for his behavior. You're not supposed to find his womanizing antics and opinions of women to be a good thing. You're supposed to laugh at him.

To say it a different way, the show never tried to endorse his behavior but just tried to capitalize on people finding socially unacceptable behavior amusing.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I mean the other main characters are constantly berating him for his behavior. You're not supposed to find his womanizing antics and opinions of women to be a good thing. You're supposed to laugh at him.

To say it a different way, the show never tried to endorse his behavior but just tried to capitalize on people finding socially unacceptable behavior amusing.
I get what you're saying and that makes sense for sure. He was supposed to be the sleazy guy who just made you roll your eyes.

I was just pointing out that I think in today's atmosphere, even as a parody, they'd get some major backlash for a lot of Barney's exploits which people didn't used to particularly care about or just kind shrugged off as "oh sleazy Barney".

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I get what you're saying and that makes sense for sure. He was supposed to be the sleazy guy who just made you roll your eyes.

I was just pointing out that I think in today's atmosphere, even as a parody, they'd get some major backlash for a lot of Barney's exploits which people didn't used to particularly care about or just kind shrugged off as "oh sleazy Barney".
I agree. I guess I'm more commenting that the line on what is okay to laugh at and recognize as still not okay and what to end up outraged over keeps getting moved.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I agree. I guess I'm more commenting that the line on what is okay to laugh at and recognize as still not okay and what to end up outraged over keeps getting moved.
Oh yeah I totally agree. But I'm sure you know what the hordes on twitter are like, lol.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think Barney’s antics you were suppose to laugh at and think no one in real life is like this. Unfortunately there are people and tons like him.

I agree with everyone saying they liked the show because they connect with them as they were the same age going through some of the same stuff. I’ve tried to rewatch from time to time and it’s not the same. I like certain episodes but that’s about it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You can certainly tell a show has very little value if its main pull is relatability.

Well, that and the relationship dynamics, as a sort of rom-com sitcom.

I find they have little staying power as the "will they won't they" dramatics are already known so there's not much point in rewatching. I put Friends in that category too.

Shows that rely much more on the comedic writing (Community, Seinfeld, Frasier, Simpsons, Curb your Enthusiasm, Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and less on character arcs and relationship dynamics I find much easier to watch over and over again.

What I liked about Brooklyn 99 is that they avoided saturation of Jake and Amy once they got together. It's something that the Office suffered from, in terms of relying less on their ensemble cast for Jim and Pam.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Well, that and the relationship dynamics, as a sort of rom-com sitcom.

I find they have little staying power as the "will they won't they" dramatics are already known so there's not much point in rewatching. I put Friends in that category too.

Shows that rely much more on the comedic writing (Community, Seinfeld, Frasier, Simpsons, Curb your Enthusiasm, Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and less on character arcs and relationship dynamics I find much easier to watch over and over again.

What I liked about Brooklyn 99 is that they avoided saturation of Jake and Amy once they got together. It's something that the Office suffered from, in terms of relying less on their ensemble cast for Jim and Pam.

Friends (and Joey) have lots of funny jokes - I find both highly rewatchable. HIMYM just didn't IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad