TV: How I Met Your Father

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was going to post this. This idea has been floating since before HIMYM ended, weird to see it finding a home.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Hillary Duff is the only reason I would be interested in spending any time watching this show.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Was going to post this. This idea has been floating since before HIMYM ended, weird to see it finding a home.

The initial plan was for Greta Gerwig in the starring role and being involved in the writing.

Givens the career path she had, I'm guessing she's very happy it fell through, but, I am kind of curious what that project would have looked like. She's talented enough that she could have made something interesting out of it.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Let's not pretend that the last 3 (or was it 4) seasons of HIMYM were a steaming pile of trash that we only watched because we wanted to find out who the mother was.

This can't be worse than those last 3 seasons, I'll give it a chance, might be decent. Hulu have made some non-terrible comedies and it actually has a chance at some creativity being a non-network sitcom.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I watched every season of How I My Your Mother, and it was one of my favourite show. Unfortunately, the last season turned the show into How I Waste Nine Years of Your Life, and it absolutely pisses me off. I felt played when the showrunners went back to Robin, when they spent the last two season on how Ted got over Robin. Frankly, Bays and Thomas can go to hell. It has been years since the season finale, and I am still mad at them.
:madfire:

When the spin-off was announced, I wanted to give it a shot. Gerwig actually had no appeal to me, because I knew her mainly from No Strings Attached, but I do like the HIMYM universe, despite the sour note it ended on. Then I read the pilot, and it had the potential to be a big trainwreck. The writing was bad, and the characters were caricatures. It needed a lot of deconstructions and storyline buildup that would likely take more than 1 season, and I am not sure it had time to do it. In fact, I am glad it got cancelled, because it would probably kill any goodwill left from the original series.

Right now, I no longer care. The enthusiasm for HIMYM is long dead, and the best time for the series has sailed. Plus, in my opinion, Duff is about the worst person to take the role. I never liked any of her on-screen work, so I have serious doubts on her ability to carry a show.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
One of the best aspects of HIMYM and why it took off was the humour with the casted characters and their chemistry .. The story parts with narration wasn't good but not the driver of the show.

It's something that is incredible hard to replicate, and replicate in a way that it's in the same tone but provides its own unique humour style.

Then you have a lot of die hard fans, such as myself, who at best are unhappy with HIMYM's end that they won't bother watching a spinoff.

IMO this is going to crash hard.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I will give it a try, after all we need something to watch and the original series was great.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This reminds me of that 80s show, a show they released after that 70s show and it flopped
The problem with that 80s show was it debuted too early in 1999, 10 years ago it was the 80's and there's not enough nostalgia only 10 years ago. This show will probably flop, but I will give it a chance.

Reactions: Power Man

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
There was actually a pilot for the Greta Gerwig version that someone released online recently, and it is just as bad as the script indicated. It basically recycled the pilot of How I Met Your Mother, with even more cartoonish characters and flatter jokes. In fact, its portrayal of the gay couple might be considered to be offensive in today's age. Frankly, Bays and Thomas are completely hacks, and I highly doubt this new series will be any good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad