How good was Larry Murphy?

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
He hardly ever gets mentioned amongst the all-time greats, yet, does not get half the hate Phil Housley does.

- Over 1600 career games.
- 1200+ career points.
- A still-standing rookie defenseman record of 76 points.
- 4 Stanley Cups. Might have won a 5th had he stuck around one more season.

Strangely enough, not unlike Coffey, he was moved an obscene amount of times in his career.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Murph is pretty loved basically everywhere he played. He's back on FSN in Detroit too and the fans here still love him.

However, the point total is definitely a bit of a byproduct of the era he played in, but he was great on both ends. Slow as hell though, especially towards the end.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
He wasn't loved in Toronto and for good reason. Detroit more or less resurrected his career.

Murphy was a very slow skater, but great at holding the line and doing everything else needed to be a consistently good (though never elite) PPQB his entire career.

He was a pretty smart player who could adjust to team needs, but never really that "true #1" Toronto wanted. Did a fantastic job of fitting in with Pittsburgh and Detroit though. Everyone was surprised by how effective defensively he was next to Lidstrom.

In a way, he's the defensemen version of Ron Francis - in that if you're relying on him to carry your team, your team won't be very good. But he's best served as an elite complementary player - a role he was effective at for a very long time.

Not at all like Housley, who was basically incapable of playing system hockey.

Reactions: ORHawksFan

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd say that Murphy was a pretty consistent top 20 defenceman with some years at the bottom of the top 10. Really smart player. He shouldn't really be compared with Housley, as he was perhaps a bit worse offensively (due to speed mainly) but far better defensively. He was good enough in his prime that he made Pittsburgh feel comfortable with getting rid of still-prime Coffey (I know about Bowman and his thoughts on Coffey but he still needed someone in that role). He also doesn't get as much credit as he should for Detroit's defensive effort in the 1997 finals.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Just never won a Norris. Why he gets undercut behind the Bourque-Robinson-Potvin-Chelios-Coffey, etc types.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think someone once also mentioned that he wasn't well-liked in minnesota. interesting, then, that he didn't fit in in two places and didn't last long, but both times he immediately helped propel the next team to back-to-back cups.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Larry Murphy was in his 16th NHL season when he went to Toronto.

He had lost the speed he had in L.A. and Washington in the 1980's.

He hadn't lost the hockey sense. He has said he always prided himself at playing responsibly at both ends of the ice. Bowman used him A LOT in Pittsburgh and Detroit. And Scotty doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Murphy also didn't play a physical style despite his size. Tbe Leaf fan base has cheered a lot of dumb but rough guys (Wendel Clark, Tie Domi).

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Actually, there wasn't a good reason. The reason he wasn't loved in Toronto is largely because of a clueless fanbase that had no idea what kind of player he was when they acquired him.
Epic thread-bump going on here!

While I wouldn't go as far as to say that Toronto had a "clueless fanbase", I do agree that Murphy was fine there and deserved to be appreciated by Leafs' fans.

Murphy had one of the more impressive seasons ever by a D-man, I think, in 1980-81, but since it happened in L.A. at that time, nobody in Toronto or New York or Montreal saw it.

Reactions: VanIslander

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
He also doesn't get as much credit as he should for Detroit's defensive effort in the 1997 finals.

Jack I bought that "Celebration of Champions" DVD that has a bunch of the Red Wing classic games. It has the ESPN broadcast of Game 4 of the 97 finals. If I remember correctly Gary Thorne said Murphy was a +15 in the playoffs!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Jack I bought that "Celebration of Champions" DVD that has a bunch of the Red Wing classic games. It has the ESPN broadcast of Game 4 of the 97 finals. If I remember correctly Gary Thorne said Murphy was a +15 in the playoffs!

Murphy was the +/- leader in the playoffs in both 1997 and 1998.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
i think someone once also mentioned that he wasn't well-liked in minnesota. interesting, then, that he didn't fit in in two places and didn't last long, but both times he immediately helped propel the next team to back-to-back cups.

Murphy clashed with coaches who wanted physical play from him, including and maybe especially Pierre Page. He played very well for coaches who allowed him to play a more puck-possession style—Bob Berry, Scotty Bowman, etc.

Reactions: VanIslander

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Murphy clashed with coaches who wanted physical play from him, including and maybe especially Pierre Page. He played very well for coaches who allowed him to play a more puck-possession style—Bob Berry, Scotty Bowman, etc.

makes sense

does anyone know why LA traded him for what to me seems like an underpayment?

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
makes sense

does anyone know why LA traded him for what to me seems like an underpayment?

This article from the very reputable Gann Matsuda lays it out pretty nicely: One Of The Most Lopsided Trades In NHL History Involved The LA Kings And Larry Murphy

“He was such a laid back person, and that’s the way he played,” said former Kings left wing Charlie Simmer, a member of the famed Triple Crown Line with Marcel Dionne and Dave Taylor. “He was misunderstood. He was a bigger guy, and that was the era of fighting, the Broad Street Bullies [Philadelphia Flyers] and the Big, Bad Bruins [Boston Bruins].”

“They were always trying to get him into that type of mode, but that’s not him,” added Simmer, who played with Murphy throughout the time Murphy was with the Kings. “His game, as we saw through his whole career, was a point-getting, calm defenseman. He didn’t change, other than he just got better and better with confidence and experience.”

Rather than adapt their coaching style and tactics to the players on the roster, MacDonald, and especially Perry, stubbornly and foolishly forced their players into a particular mold and style of play, which included more hitting and fighting. This proved to be a huge mistake, especially with a player of Murphy’s caliber."

TLDR is that Coach Bob Berry, who recognized that Murphy was a great possession d-man was fired, and his replacement looked at anyone taller than 6'0 and expected them to goon it up. This is a recurring theme amongst terrible coaches, regardless of era, in this case Parker McDonald (who sounds more like a b-rate board game company than a coach, but I digress). He was a solid enough player, just very stuck in the old-school mentality.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This article from the very reputable Gann Matsuda lays it out pretty nicely: One Of The Most Lopsided Trades In NHL History Involved The LA Kings And Larry Murphy

“He was such a laid back person, and that’s the way he played,” said former Kings left wing Charlie Simmer, a member of the famed Triple Crown Line with Marcel Dionne and Dave Taylor. “He was misunderstood. He was a bigger guy, and that was the era of fighting, the Broad Street Bullies [Philadelphia Flyers] and the Big, Bad Bruins [Boston Bruins].”

“They were always trying to get him into that type of mode, but that’s not him,” added Simmer, who played with Murphy throughout the time Murphy was with the Kings. “His game, as we saw through his whole career, was a point-getting, calm defenseman. He didn’t change, other than he just got better and better with confidence and experience.”

Rather than adapt their coaching style and tactics to the players on the roster, MacDonald, and especially Perry, stubbornly and foolishly forced their players into a particular mold and style of play, which included more hitting and fighting. This proved to be a huge mistake, especially with a player of Murphy’s caliber."

TLDR is that Bob Berry, who recognized that Murphy was a great possession d-man was fired, and his replacement looked at anyone taller than 6'0 and expected them to goon it up.

thanks.

so that's three coaches. at what point do we say, well larry murphy was a hall of fame talent but gee isn't he kind of limited when he can only succeed with a certain kind of coach?

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Faulty memory, @ 56, but I watched Larry play for the akings quite a bit.

Is it me, or did he go on a Barry Bomds type Helmet enlargement program?:sarcasm:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
He was also not particularly liked in Washington as well. He was often razzed when he returned as a visiting player.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
@The Panther pointed out years ago:

Not sure if you consider that "close" though, @TheDevilMadeMe.

I honestly forgot about 87 when I initially posted that, but his 3rd place finish there was so far behind the leaders

1987:

PlacePlayerAgeTmPosVotesVote%1st2nd3rd4th5thGAPTS+/-OPSDPSGPSPS
1Ray Bourque26BOSD26698.525220 237295447.26.40.013.6
2Mark Howe31PHID13750.741426 154358574.16.50.010.5
3Larry Murphy25WSHD3111.480516 235881256.15.70.011.9
4Larry Robinson35MTLD124.44026 133750243.25.70.09.0
5Paul Coffey25EDMD103.70105 175067135.02.60.07.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

1993 is a lot closer, but in retrospect, it sure looks like being the #1 on Mario Lemieux's team helped him:

PlacePlayerAgeTmPosVotesVote%1st2nd3rd4th5thGAPTS+/-OPSDPSGPSPS
1Chris Chelios31CHID20180.4033106 155873144.86.30.011.1
2Ray Bourque32BOSD9738.8061910 196382385.96.30.012.2
3Larry Murphy31PITD9337.2091115 226385456.26.20.012.4
4Kevin Hatcher26WSHD176.80052 344579-76.64.00.010.6
5Phil Housley28WIND166.40125 187997-146.82.90.09.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad