How Good Of A Job Has Cooper Done (Since Being Hired)?

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I asked after game 1 "how quickly will Coop make adjustments"? And he has answered that question, wonderfully so in fact. He's been shifting the line combos to try and take away NY's match-ups on D. Obviously, I still hope to see Drouin play but if we keep winning, I sure as hell won't complain.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Love Jon Cooper, his honest post-game interviews are really refreshing, and how highly he talks of is players is really nice.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i give credit where it is due as you all know and keep the criticism light but last night?

cooper not calling the time out with the triplets on and two minutes left was flat out major stupid blunder that could have cost us this game.

i get he doesnt expect them to ever allow a goal with 2 minutes left even after they did that quick icing its soooooo rare when that line messes up and lets up goals so he was playing the odds

but just to give them a break speak to them draw some plan was the right move and in my view totally 100% avoidable so inexcusable by him not to give them a talk and break at that time and look ny scored

that one is on cooper and hopes he is right in future less then wrong but you got that one timeout for those situations to not use it with 2 minutes left was frigging dumb as hell

my two cents

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
i give credit where it is due as you all know and keep the criticism light but last night?

cooper not calling the time out with the triplets on and two minutes left was flat out major stupid blunder that could have cost us this game.

i get he doesnt expect them to ever allow a goal with 2 minutes left even after they did that quick icing its soooooo rare when that line messes up and lets up goals so he was playing the odds

but just to give them a break speak to them draw some plan was the right move and in my view totally 100% avoidable so inexcusable by him not to give them a talk and break at that time and look ny scored

that one is on cooper and hopes he is right in future less then wrong but you got that one timeout for those situations to not use it with 2 minutes left was frigging dumb as hell

my two cents

Yeah, we both agree on that. He should've called the time-out there but seems to have an aversion to doing so. Kind of Phil Jackson-esque.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's not like it was a super long shift. I don't have a problem with the no time out.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I didn't mind the lack of a timeout call. Short shift, and there's a flip side too. You give the Rangers time to draw up a play as well. Whoever on the Rangers made Nash and Boyle switch on the draw, was very smart.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
yeah ive watched they were at the 30 second mark around out there

juar in that situation i think you call time out make sure your guys are in the right frame of mind slow them down let them know this is the game 2 minutes left give them a breather they played weird sure scored four goals but how many did that line give up?

more than usual for them they were awful in ways you need to catch that nip it etc..

i get the confidence those three were a plus 30 but you have a time out you use them even if is 10 year vets im used to that i was like wth why is he not calling a time out

i think there its mandatory dont care whose on ice is a one goal game get them situated

kucherov was on boyle where were hedman and whoever was out there with him at the net?

that is fixable and a time out probably does that so yeah think was a major blunder

am more happy the way we won cause is my boy kucherov but honestly?

still like tyjos game winner more before overtime

now i was sure my next years photo would be of the stanley cup for my image but this one for killer???? i might have to give it nod as photo moment of the year just awesome and nine shots on goal his nickname is deserving lol what a beast he has been lately awesome

Last edited:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
That's an awesome pic right there Robert and I know my stuff

attachment.php

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Amazing job Coop. 3 kids passed through all and reached the final of the Cup.it is just amazing. I think Coop and triplets is best thing to happen in decade

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
regarding the finals and Coop vs Q: how will the outsmarting-that-guy script go? imo Coop is much less predictable than Q, still some sort of enigma for other coaches, and this alone can become decisive in winning the cup.

and regarding the main question of this thread: Coop is a pearl, peter pan in person. trust in him and you'll learn to fly with your dragons. hi and gl from la kings fan. :handclap:

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
My impression of Q is he's what Therrien should be. I think he would prefer a really tight checking, tough it out team, but just has the pieces that don't fit that mold and plays his roster to his strengths. I know he's more of a line-juggler, and (clearly) he has no issue shortening the bench. He also seems to be good at matching lines.

I know he gets a lot of flak, but he seems like a really good coach to me.

Also - I'll eat some crow on Coop. I've never doubted his system - I love his system, and while some personnel decisions have confused me, he has something that is invaluable in a coach - he gets every last drop from his players.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Like I said a few posts ago, A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.

His players would walk through the gates of hell for him. He's been willing to adapt, when necessary, in terms of style and sometimes personnel. That's the most you can ever hope for in a coach.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
It's so funny reading back through this thread.

You're right, but at the same time, our frustration was generally legitimate. Cooper literally waited until the very last minute to make adjustments, in pretty much every series. It was never a case of us looking bad in game 1 and doing something different in game 2 or 3. Frankly, his moves were probably right in that regard, hockey wise, but it is reasonable for fans to be frustrated. Ultimately, I'm extremely glad he's coaching and not us:laugh:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
My opinion is that Coop is a very good coach but not an elite one in the tactical field.

He has other qualities and that is also part of being a coach (team building, creating the sense of trust, confidence and believe, etc) and he has done all of that.

To top on that he likes to go with a very attractive style of play... As I said, I don't think he's the best coach in the league, but I wouldn't trade him for any other coach

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
My opinion is that Coop is a very good coach but not an elite one in the tactical field.

He has other qualities and that is also part of being a coach (team building, creating the sense of trust, confidence and believe, etc) and he has done all of that.

To top on that he likes to go with a very attractive style of play... As I said, I don't think he's the best coach in the league, but I wouldn't trade him for any other coach

Agreed entirely. He's elite in some areas, but that's probably not one of them.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Coop has two years and two playoff appearances. Two years one time getting swept and one Stanley cup final appearance. He hasn't proven to be elite, but he has shown he can be a good coach. There is a learning curve and this team seems to be be way ahead of it with him behind the bench.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Game 1 was a disaster, largely of Cooper's making. If he really thinks we lost because of luck, he needs GD head examined. You're NOT PLAYING THE RANGERS AGAIN.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Game 1 was a disaster, largely of Cooper's making. If he really thinks we lost because of luck, he needs GD head examined. You're NOT PLAYING THE RANGERS AGAIN.

I'd hardly call it a disaster, more nerves. They had the lead early and decided to guard their own net instead of attacking. Don't agree with it but I understand the call.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This whole two net crap with him is getting annoying. Winning is nice and all but people want entertainment, we were run and gun all season now he wants to change. I'd rather watch an exciting 5-4 loss then a boring 1-0 win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad