How Good Of A Job Has Cooper Done (Since Being Hired)?

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I definitely expect this will be less controversial. It's probably no secret that I really respect Cooper. He's done a very good job developing AHL talent, and has achieved a pretty good level of success at the NHL level, fairly quickly. I think he is, and should be, in the Jack Adams discussion this year. But I'm not saying he's the slam dunk winner. Please vote away. Note, votes are not public and I'm not disclosing mine, but you can probably guess based on what I said above.

So, how do you rate Coop's job performance since being hired?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It took six tries for him to get his first playoff win. Better fire him before tomorrow! :sarcasm:

Seriously though, what's impressive about this guy is not just that he's gotten the kids to perform but the vets of several coaches to buy in as well. That's not always a given at the top level and tells me he's pretty legit. He still has a lot to learn but no reason to ditch him yet.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Fire everybody

Why, do you want him fired, too?

Did you bother to read the original post? Ya know, the one where I call him a Jack Adams finalist? If you don't have anything constructive to say, then simply don't reply. I certainly have the right to ask what people think Cooper's job performance has been. If you want to give an honest reply to that, it would be appreciated.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
It took six tries for him to get his first playoff win. Better fire him before tomorrow! :sarcasm:

Seriously though, what's impressive about this guy is not just that he's gotten the kids to perform but the vets of several coaches to buy in as well. That's not always a given at the top level and tells me he's pretty legit. He still has a lot to learn but no reason to ditch him yet.

I think he has certainly exceeded what reasonable expectations on him were. A lot of people prefer to give a large amount of credit to Yzerman and secondary credit to Cooper when the opposite should be done (in my mind). He's developed players who were total unknowns at the AHL level and then helped them continue that development at the NHL level; plus as you said, had the vets buy in too. It's pretty rare that you see that from a coach who was an NHL unknown 3 years ago and wasn't even an NHL player himself.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I think he has certainly exceeded what reasonable expectations on him were. A lot of people prefer to give a large amount of credit to Yzerman and secondary credit to Cooper when the opposite should be done (in my mind). He's developed players who were total unknowns at the AHL level and then helped them continue that development at the NHL level; plus as you said, had the vets buy in too. It's pretty rare that you see that from a coach who was an NHL unknown 3 years ago and wasn't even an NHL player himself.

OR............................

They've both done a really good job, progressed at least a bit further each year in their prospective jobs with the team and work really well together.

I know you didn't explicitly say this anywhere, and please feel free to correct me if I'm misinterpreting you, but it seems like think it has to be one or the other of them doing well, not both.

I'm really not sure what we are expecting at this point in time. It seems like there is complaining just for the sake of complaining going on around this board, and very little just plain enjoyment of what we've got.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
There are some roster decisions he's come up with that I don't necessarily agree with, so that's pretty much why I voted "pretty good." Power play leaves something to be desired, along with not making Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan a thing... I understand it's better for the long run too, but to have Drouin completely scratched right now, is a little ridiculous.

Rubi11

Apr 30, 2014
Tampa, FL
He led us from the bottom of the standings to the top of the standings in his first full season, 2 consecutive playoff appearances, improved regular season this year from last year imo, already a more successful playoff appearance this year than last year, several franchise records broken over the last 2 seasons...I don't see how anyone can argue he's been anything short of spectacular.

Sure, you can give some credit to the players for this success, you can certainly give credit to Yzerjesus, Vinik, and all the assistant coaches too. But this team has played amazing the past two seasons and it doesn't happen without Coop behind the bench.

Sometimes I really don't agree with his line choices, I don't get what he sees in Sustr at all, I think Drouin should definitely be in the lineup right now against the wings, but Coop is smart guy who has had tremendous success in the ushl, ahl, and now at the nhl level so I'll be patient and trust that he has a good reason for every decision he makes.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Considering the lack of NHL experience Coop has he's done pretty damn good. Every coach will make questionable lineup and personel choices but it's hard to have a educated opinion on those matters as we aren't on the bench and in the locker room with them.

That being said, #FreeDrouin

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Considering the lack of NHL experience Coop has he's done pretty damn good. Every coach will make questionable lineup and personnel choices but it's hard to have a educated opinion on those matters as we aren't on the bench and in the locker room with them.

That being said, #FreeDrouin

I agree entirely. It's hard to say with regard to Drouin too. We have to trust Cooper though, considering how many times he's been successful with guys at the AHL level. I'll definitely agree to questioning some of the PP decisions etc, but Coop doesn't make all those decisions. He's trusting his own coaches with most, or at least some, of that stuff and that's how it works.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I'll give Cooper another year. (and I think he will do well)

But with all the talent on this team this year I'm not impressed.

the handeling of Drouin and stamkos this year was Bazarr to say the least.

All this Drouin talk that he needed to learn how to deal with the ice when he doesn't have the puck was just nuts. I never bought into that crap.

jmho

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

They both get credit for what they've done. They've both made mistakes, but over all, they've got the organization heading in the right direction, and fast. Credit for that starts with Jeff Vinik and trickles down through the entire organization, all the way to the scouting staff. We're a well-oiled machine right now, and the envy of every rebuilding team in the league (along with Calgary).

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
When it comes to coaching, in any sport, I think a lot of us have a tendency to not quite remember how much coaching goes on when we're not watching, too. Some coaches aren't the strongest in-game tactitioners; I don't think Coop is the strongest there, either, but when you see the progression in almost every young player in this organization, and how their hockey sense shows through with the more experience they get? It doesn't always work this way even if it's supposed to. Some of it is luck due to the sheer odds, but it's also a credit to Coop and all the coaches in this organization that this has been the case.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Folks, let's discuss the topic and not personalize it when responding/discussing. The topic is How Good Of A Job Has Cooper Done (Since Being Hired)? which I understand follows on the heels of the previous thread. That said, debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person.

Please continue

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Cooper should be fired.

A. Development of Panik and Connolly - two world class stars that are no longer with the organization because of Cooper and his lack of development.
B. Completely ruining the confidence of Lindback to the point the poor guy is barely staying in the league. I mean Yzerman can find the talent but Cooper just didn't provide an environment conducive to his development.
C. His lack of experience has killed us thusfar...rookie coaches in the NHL should never be hired. GMs should just keep hiring and firing the same 30 coaches year after year...no new faces with talent EVER! And they should not be permitted to gain experience by losing. There are better ways to learn...like winning.
D. I saw him steal candy from a baby.

I can keep on going...but I'm tired of Cooper and Yzerman. Bring back the days of getting top 10 picks...Now That is Excitment!!! One day a year where all hope hangs in the balance!

**Edit: I saw him steal Gum from a baby. My apologies, it was not candy.

Last edited:

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Cooper should be fired.

A. Development of Panik and Connolly - two world class stars that are no longer with the organization because of Cooper and his lack of development.

**Edit: I saw him steal Gum from a baby. My apologies, it was not candy.

Connolly was playing a lot better and then got traded. Guessing this is a patently obvious sarcastic post. However you actually brought up another example that showed Cooper is a good coach, potentially two depending on what you think of Panik.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
This thread, along with the other one, just don't seem appropriate considering what is going on with the team right now. Anything but positive threads seem a bit socially uncalibrated, like bringing up politics at a frat party. Revisit this in the off season and you may find there is substantive discussion to be had.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This thread, along with the other one, just don't seem appropriate considering what is going on with the team right now. Anything but positive threads seem a bit socially uncalibrated, like bringing up politics at a frat party. Revisit this in the off season and you may find there is substantive discussion to be had.

I wouldn't say it's not appropriate, but you're right in that it's likely why the response has been what it's been. We all disagree over micro issues, but pretty much all of us are on the same page with the general direction of the team etc. But even if Cape is a bit out of sync with the rest of us on certain issues, or over-arching philosophies that we've bought into and he hasn't, we're all cheering for the same thing.

It does sort of remind me of politics in that way, because you learn you can respect someone's opinion and agree with them most of the time, even if once in a while they hit you out of left field with some crazy ****. ;)

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Folks, let's discuss the topic and not personalize it when responding/discussing. The topic is How Good Of A Job Has Cooper Done (Since Being Hired)? which I understand follows on the heels of the previous thread. That said, debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person.

Please continue

I completely agree, discussions are fine. But if the only conversations you make are not only incredibly controversial, but more/less looking to stir up trouble...

I guess I don't get that or why it's ok?

P.S. Cooper's more than ok, he's freakin amazing.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I completely agree, discussions are fine. But if the only conversations you make are not only incredibly controversial, but more/less looking to stir up trouble...

I guess I don't get that or why it's ok?

P.S. Cooper's more than ok, he's freakin amazing.

I wouldn't say the intention is to start trouble. We as lightning fans can discuss these things and you can also share your opinion, even if it is unpopular or goes against the majority.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
"Since being hired."

So That would include his time in the AHL?

Hard to argue with him leading the teams in the AHL and also the NHL to playoffs. Not just leading them their but making them a force is both leauges with home ice advatage for at least 1 round if not more. Add in a record breraking win streak and winning a Calder Cup Championship in the AHL, It's safe to say he knows what he is doing. While the NHL success is at the moment limited to only regular season success it is still to early to say if this post season is successful or not. Factors not based on results, well other than a few things that I dont like, in particular scratching and limiting certain players ice time, it really is hard to argue with the results he has obtained in only 5 years.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'd say very good. His NHL record after 16 games in 2012-13 and two full seasons with the Lightning is:

GP|W|L|OT|P|P%
164|101|59|20|222|.677

During the two full seasons the Lightning have finished 2nd in their division at 101 and 108 points respectively. To top it off we set several new franchise records this season, including single season records in wins, goals, points and P%. All that with a still very young team.

Sooner or later though he'll be measured by his team's playoff performance. Dominating the regular season is one thing but what matters in the end is post-season success and eventually winning the one Cup. Bruce Boudreau can tell you a thing or two about it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'd say very good. His NHL record after 16 games in 2012-13 and two full seasons with the Lightning is:

GP|W|L|OT|P|P%
164|101|59|20|222|.677

During the two full seasons the Lightning have finished 2nd in their division at 101 and 108 points respectively. To top it off we set several new franchise records this season, including single season records in wins, goals, points and P%. All that with a still very young team.

Sooner or later though he'll be measured by his team's playoff performance. Dominating the regular season is one thing but what matters in the end is post-season success and eventually winning the one Cup. Bruce Boudreau can tell you a thing or two about it.

Nailed it. Right now the regular season performance is of such a different tone than before he came in he can kind of coast on it. I would say, starting next season we need to see something in the playoffs, or his seat may start getting a little warm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad