How Good Of A Job Has Cooper Done (Since Being Hired)?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm saddened to say this but he choked and was completely outcoached in several series of the playoffs.

Not putting ALL blame on him but he was definitely a big part of it. He seems just unnecessarily stubborn which you can't be if you wanna win a Stanley Cup.

I agree 100 percent

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I still have faith in Coop, but mistakes were made. And stuck to. And clung to. We were buried with them.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I still have faith in Coop, but mistakes were made. And stuck to. And clung to. We were buried with them.

For now, he can hide behind the mistake Yzerman made. That Carle contract is hilariously bad looking back at it. And it's only getting worse.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
For now, he can hide behind the mistake Yzerman made. That Carle contract is hilariously bad looking back at it. And it's only getting worse.

Yup, we MUST unload that. There's no doubt about it. Putting Nesterov/Kookoo/etc in that role, we'll save a ton of money and it'll essentially impossible for them to be worse. Then take that cap savings, and upgrade on Sustr, the broker rooster.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

How can he hide behind that? Carle's contract had nothing to do with him not changing the lines up especially with the injuries we had. It had nothing to do with playing Morrow as much as he did. He's also the one who played Carle as much as he did, he didn't shorten the bench like Q did.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
How can he hide behind that? Carle's contract had nothing to do with him not changing the lines up especially with the injuries we had. It had nothing to do with playing Morrow as much as he did. He's also the one who played Carle as much as he did, he didn't shorten the bench like Q did.

one thing on everyone *****ing about shortening the bench

I want to use language but am holding self in check

LAST GAME WE HAD NOTHING FROM PERIOD TWO IN TANK. YOU HAVE TO PLAY GUYS LONGER DURING YEAR IN ORDER FOR THEM TO BE LIKE CHICAGOS STARS

WE DIDNT BUT ARE VERY VERY VERY YOUNG MAYBE OUR 2018 TEAM CAN PULL THAT OFF

me after watching the last game says no way in hell they were beat down and get argue wise why not drouin on triplets if tyjo has nothing but he was trying playing d etc..

i saw drouin with many gaffs in his play and cooper went to d first the entire playoffs and it worked for the most part so we can ***** on drouin but he was like -4 for the playoffs and that was deserving he usually screwed up a d assignment causing those goals

we simply do not have the horses at this time they are kids still got some men but the high talent are still babies in nhl years

i really wonder all the criticism on us choices etc.. by own fan base some of you're thought processes we are not ready for 30 mins on d IE HEDMAN and forwards are not ready for 25 minutes maybe in time at 28 but not now so get over it move on he did a great job with the adversity we faced

I just show that game we had no tank whatsoever too many games next year lets hope they learned enough lets hope they finish the montreals right off the bat they get on the detroits from the first game etc..

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hedman plays 22 minutes a night in the regular season so he should have legs come playoff time to play close to 30. Keith plays over 25 in the regular season and 30 playoffs. These guys are professional athletes, if they can't play an additional few minutes a game we need a new conditioning coach.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't think Cooper had that many realistic options that would have made a difference. Next year is a different story and should be interesting to evaluate.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Hedman plays 22 minutes a night in the regular season so he should have legs come playoff time to play close to 30. Keith plays over 25 in the regular season and 30 playoffs. These guys are professional athletes, if they can't play an additional few minutes a game we need a new conditioning coach.

four guys in history i think it is have played that type of time in stanley cup history id hate to make 24 year olds do that myself maybe 27 is right age:)

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
On Carle-Sustr, defensive pairings and ice times -

Forgivable:
For those criticizing Cooper for playing Carle-Sustr (I am one of his loudest critics on certain topics), ask yourself if ice time minutes 3-10 from Carle-Sustr is worse than ice time minutes 19-26 for Coburn-Garrison. In other words, could you reasonably expect a tired Coburn-Garrison pairing and a tired Hedman-Stralman pairing to pick up the slack for rested Carle-Sustr in those extra minutes? I don't think so. The problem wasn't Cooper playing Carle-Sustr those extra minutes, it Carle-Sustr, period.

Unforgivable:
I agree Carle-Sustr were on the ice at awful times such as after a whistle/TV timeout with a face off in our own zone. :facepalm:

I agree Nesterov could have probably gotten more playing time late in the season and early in the playoffs and played a larger role. :facepalm:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Cooper has some growing pains and we took some painful too many men penalties. I think Coop needs to learn how to make adjustments sooner rather than later. The team has growing pains and I think this was the year before we win the cup.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
It won't be for Sustr. Lefty/Righty.

To upgrade the right side of the blueline is crucial for next year, the last piece of the puzzle. With another right handed dman, we will avoid Stralman and Hedman baby sitting duties again, to keep this pairing together is a must, it's one of the best in the league. A short term deal would be ideal, Zidlicky's a bit of liability but he's very skilled and a strong possession player, with hindsight I think he fits in here. Beauchemin (plays both side) would be good too but he's likely to re-sign with Anaheim,I guess.

We firstly have to trade Carle though and that won't be easy obviously, but it's the key to our moves on the blueline.

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Zidlicky
Nesterov-Coburn

7th/call ups: Sustr,Koekkoek, Witkowski

I'm salivating.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Cooper has some growing pains and we took some painful too many men penalties. I think Coop needs to learn how to make adjustments sooner rather than later. The team has growing pains and I think this was the year before we win the cup.

Also, I think depth is the key to Cooper's coaching, he's a coach player that doesn't really believe in match-ups, mostly focus on what his team has to do. Not perfect but it's not necessarily a bad thing, well in all honesty I personally believe it's the right way. The players would run through a brick wall for him, because from top to bottom he trusts them as a group. Injuries aside I think Cooper will need a bit more depth at the blueline to perfectly take advantage of his coaching philosophy, our forward group is already set IMO.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Nesterov is the new Drouin, hopefully he gets a spot next year and fails even harder.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"Lightning coach Jon Cooper is a man with a plan" ?

I sometimes suspect Cooper has a higher reputation outside of Tampa Bay. His plan for Drouin is unclear to me

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/lightning-coach-jon-cooper-is-a-man-with-a-plan/

"Over that time, Cooper has been incredibly comfortable in his own skin. And why wouldn’t he be? He has a law degree, is a tall, good-looking guy who relates well to people and has become an outstanding coach. His approach to his players is constructive and there’s also a certain confidence about him. Tampa Bay has definitely taken on the personality of its coach in many ways, challenging the NHL establishment without giving it the middle finger. The Lightning are the first team in history to play four Original Six teams in the playoffs, and there was reason to believe they would lose in every series.

Cooper noticed it right away in the playoffs. The Bolts were down 3-2 to the Red Wings in the first round and faced the prospect of winning on the road to force a Game 7.

“You could just see the attitude in the players, ‘Coach, don’t worry about this one, we’ve got this,’ †Cooper said. “And they did.â€

After finishing his four years at Harvard, Killorn joined the Admirals for the 18th game of the 28-game winning streak and saw a team, led by its coach, that was supremely confident in itself.

“That swagger, if you want to call it that, was certainly there,†he said. “It starts from ‘Coop’ down. He’s definitely a coach who projects confidence and has a swagger.â€

Two-thirds of Tampa Bay’s successful ‘Triplet Line’ of Johnson, Palat and Nikita Kucherov (who joined the Syracuse Crunch in 2012-13 when Tampa Bay changed AHL affiliates), was born on that team, and now it’s one of the best lines in the NHL. It’s comprised of a player who was never drafted (Johnson), a seventh-round pick (Palat) and a second-rounder (Kucherov), two players who were never supposed to work out and another who was a 50-50 proposition. We’ll say it again: teams don’t make it to the top without this kind of development.

Cooper put Palat and Johnson on a line with Panik that season. Johnson was coming off his overage year in the WHL and Tampa Bay was contemplating putting Palat back in the QMJHL to do the same or dispatching him to the ECHL. But the Lightning kept him with the Admirals and put the three rookies together. Johnson scored 31 goals, Panik 19 and Palat just nine, but by the time Cooper was coaching with the Lightning, he brought all of them up because he knew they had already passed the test in the AHL.

“They weren’t being brought up one at a time, playing eight minutes a night, having one bad shift, then maybe not having the trust of the coach,†Cooper said. “They got to fail before they could succeed.â€

It has been a short learning curve at the NHL for both Cooper and his band of youngsters he nurtured in Norfolk. And they have each other to thank for the opportunity.

“I’m not here without them, and potentially they’re not here as fast without myself,†Cooper said. “Thy’d be here, but not as fast. Steve has believed in us from the beginning. This is what you have.â€
"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad