How good is Jake Muzzin?

How would you rate Jake Muzzin?

• Total voters

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He's a good #2. He plays strong shut down defense. He's physical and throws some huge hits. He's got a big shot and makes some nice passes in the offensive zone. He plays a decent transition game with good outlet passes. He's a solid but not great skater, but plays a very smart game and is almost always in the right position. He's good for 40 points if he gets powerplay time. He's great on the PK.

He lacks the elite abilities and offensive talent that you'd want in a #1, but he's good at literally everything. He's pretty much the perfect modern defenseman: big, mean, great defensively, and smart in transition and in the offensive zone. He has a cup ring that he played 23:24 minutes a night for (which was #2 for the Kings that playoff run).

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Somewhere between a 2 and 3. If hes your 2, you want some good players aruond him but if hes your 3 you probably have a pretty solid defense group. I think hes slowed down a step the last year or two possibly with all the time hes missed

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
"I'd rate him by height, Judge..."

Ralph-Lauren-Pink-Polo-Shirt-Worn-by-Chevy-Chase-in-Caddyshack-1.jpg

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Funny story: last year when the Leafs came into Calgary, he went to go get a massage. My friend, who works the front counter, told him they couldn't fit him in and he played the "Do you know who I am?" card.

He didn't get a massage. At least from that location.

"Didn't the Penguins drop you for nothing?"

I wonder how mad he would have been.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Good dman. Can be your first pairing guy if youve got a great number 1 for him to play with. If hes your best dman your defense isnt very good. On a top blue line hes a second pairing guy.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yes yes we've heard this before with Matthews, Zaitsev, Bozak ect. Once they don that uniform they are the bestest evar!
Okay well its arguably true. There is no oiler dman that is decidedly better. The strongest case is darnell nurse and while hes the easy choice if youre building a team, because hes younger, if youre looking at who is better right now, its a pretty close call.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He's certainly gotten a lot of fans in Toronto with the way he plays the game. The pairing of Muzzin - Holl was really strong for the Leafs this year in a shutdown role while Rielly - Ceci got lighter minutes.

I voted a #3 but in reality I don't see a reason he isn't a #2. I think if Muzzin is your 3rd best defender you likely have a top 7 D core. He's pretty damn good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's certainly gotten a lot of fans in Toronto with the way he plays the game. The pairing of Muzzin - Holl was really strong for the Leafs this year in a shutdown role while Rielly - Ceci got lighter minutes.

I voted a #3 but in reality I don't see a reason he isn't a #2. I think if Muzzin is your 3rd best defender you likely have a top 7 D core. He's pretty damn good.

I'm surprised you voted #3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad