How good do we think we are?

With all this are we a contender talk, where do folks rank us right now?

• Total voters

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Leaf fan in peace. What line is Thomas expected to be on this year?
My guess is that he starts on the 3rd line again, but goes to the 2nd fairly quickly. If he comes into camp showing he's ready for the 2-spot, he'll get put there. I think the Blues want him on the 2nd line, but they want him to force their hand into putting him there rather than them stick him there on the "OK, here's your shot kid - show us what you can do" plan. I think given time he'd get up to speed and be fine on the 2nd line, but in a 56-game season there's not time to let younger players try to figure it out along the way.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I hope they do try Thomas-Hoffman together. Thomas’ ability to see and make a pass coupled with Hoffman’s ability to find the quiet space on the ice and get a shot off could make for a deadly combo. Stick Schwartz or Schenn with them to grind down low or drive towards the net to create space. Hell, Perron would be good in that role too, even though I suspect he’ll stay with ROR.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Leaf fan in peace. What line is Thomas expected to be on this year?
If Kyrou makes the team, Thomas will almost certainly be on the 2nd line. I expect him to be put with Schwartz and Schenn. This allows Schenn to still take draws at times, since Thomas hasn’t been great in that area (but improving). The coaches and GM have both made comments about wanting him more at center and in the top 6.

I just see no value for Kyrou to play 4th line roles, and there’s no way they’re on the same line.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Remember when we had Kyle Brodziak slotted as our 2C after moving Stastny at the TDL, man times have changed for our center situation since then

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Remember when we had Kyle Brodziak slotted as our 2C after moving Stastny at the TDL, man times have changed for our center situation since then
Only 4 of the top 14 skaters and neither goalie from that team will be in camp. Pretty impressive how quickly we retooled.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Interesting our front office undervalued profit what Pietro would bring in to them in 8-year spann. Not even talking what money they would invest in when Pietro would retire as a Bluenote. So much opportunities.

All that marketing and franchise face to the St Louis city? You all that lose + NHL top5 dmen just for you didn't give the your best player of all time security so he can keep his family safe and play where he was drafted and retire as a Bluenote.

I say this

This

Was

Disgrace.

Petro is nowhere near the Blues best player of all time. You need to stop with this type of bullshit. It's completely laughable and pathetic to defend an athlete that was offered as far as we know 64 million over 8 years by saying that wasn't enough to give him security and the ability to keep his family safe. Oh my god he needs more money to keep his family safe, f***ing stupid.

Dont talk bs Pietro didnt want to sign in Blues.

If he wanted to sign here he would have picked up a pen and signed the paper, instead what he did was get on a plane and fly to Vegas so Armstrong took the next best option. SOMEONE THAT WANTED TO BE HERE AND SIGNED HERE.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Petro is nowhere near the Blues best player of all time. You need to stop with this type of bullshit. It's completely laughable and pathetic to defend an athlete that was offered as far as we know 64 million over 8 years by saying that wasn't enough to give him security and the ability to keep his family safe. Oh my god he needs more money to keep his family safe, f***ing stupid.

If he wanted to sign here he would have picked up a pen and signed the paper, instead what he did was get on a plane and fly to Vegas so Armstrong took the next best option. SOMEONE THAT WANTED TO BE HERE AND SIGNED HERE.

I'll say this one more time. Only one team gave him something that the Blues didn't. If the Blues gave him that very one thing he wanted, Petro still would've been here.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019

Vegas is on course to have that same problem!
I think they'll take a step back this year..

Trading away good talent to fit Petro!

I'm sure all the players in that locker room are thrilled knowing they could be on the trade block.. and wondering if they're next up!?

Great for building team Chemistry!

The Fleury situation was handled badly as well..
I can't imagine players wanting to sign there in the future, especially the way the Front Office has been handling things lately.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
2nd best team in the Conference/Division. Colorado has a much better top-line and defense...the way they ran Arizona out of the playoffs last year gives me pause in saying that the Blues should/would be favored in a playoff matchup. I think the Blues match-up well at forward, due to superior depth, but the Blues don't appear to have the horses to matchup with Makar/Girard/Toews/Graves/Johnson/Cole/Byram/Timmins...and I'm starting to lean towards Binnington being a flash-in-the-pan more than the long-term solution in net. I think the Blues were very fortunate for him to have caught lightning-in-a-bottle when he did, as the stars were aligned for him to salvage an NHL-career and pick-up a team that badly needed a reprieve from the annual Allen-implosion (thank God that dude is gone, seriously); but the Blues goaltending evaluations have proven to be their not-so-strong suit; and it's better to be lucky than good...and that's exactly what they were in 2019. Now that the league has had a chance to see him, I think the organization is going to be right back on the goaltending carousel for the next few years, churning through guys every two to three years hoping to find someone who can provide upper-third results for a decade. (Kind of like Askarov will do for Nashville, after the short transition from Rinne to Sarros).

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
2nd best team in the Conference/Division. Colorado has a much better top-line and defense...the way they ran Arizona out of the playoffs last year gives me pause in saying that the Blues should/would be favored in a playoff matchup. I think the Blues match-up well at forward, due to superior depth, but the Blues don't appear to have the horses to matchup with Makar/Girard/Toews/Graves/Johnson/Cole/Byram/Timmins...and I'm starting to lean towards Binnington being a flash-in-the-pan more than the long-term solution in net. I think the Blues were very fortunate for him to have caught lightning-in-a-bottle when he did, as the stars were aligned for him to salvage an NHL-career and pick-up a team that badly needed a reprieve from the annual Allen-implosion (thank God that dude is gone, seriously); but the Blues goaltending evaluations have proven to be their not-so-strong suit; and it's better to be lucky than good...and that's exactly what they were in 2019. Now that the league has had a chance to see him, I think the organization is going to be right back on the goaltending carousel for the next few years, churning through guys every two to three years hoping to find someone who can provide upper-third results for a decade. (Kind of like Askarov will do for Nashville, after the short transition from Rinne to Sarros).
I think the winner of the Blues/Colorado series would be down to who is better on goal. If it’s even, Colorado probably has the edge.

Here’s a crazy prediction: the Blues are solid in net this year, but it’s largely to Husso reverting the narrative to him being the better prospect between him and Binnington. He steals the net and the Blues have another tricky off-season decision in goal.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019

Wow, such an amazing D core right there...How are we ever going to compete with Colorado?

And I see how you conclude that Binner is a "flash in the pan" and how the Blues will need to figure their goaltending out again without providing any real evidence to support that. In the meantime, Colorado does have question marks in goal, which you never addressed either in your comparison of the two teams. The reality is, Binnington is a proven playoff goaltender, and Colorado is still looking for that guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike1320

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

Came to post this. I got over him leaving MONTHS ago, because if he wanted to be here as much as he said....he would’ve signed that contract. Even after signing Krug, we still could’ve definitely made it work.

Reactions: mike1320

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
A lot better than ours. I would swap D in a heartbeat.

A lot better? How so? Makar is unproven defensively against top end forwards. EJ is a really good #2 guy, and the rest are just solid. They are in the top 5-10 in the league for D cores, but so is ours. Pretending that they are on another level than ours is simply not true.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
A lot better? How so? Makar is unproven defensively against top end forwards. EJ is a really good #2 guy, and the rest are just solid. They are in the top 5-10 in the league for D cores, but so is ours. Pretending that they are on another level than ours is simply not true.

I would take the Avs D core any day of the week over the current Blues D core. I think you are underestimating them.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Avs D advantage is in future upside. They have some young guys who are really good and Byrom is on the way. But I don’t know that they are clearly better than us today.

I would agree. Byram is about 3-4 years away from establishing himself in the NHL. You know what they say, "the grass is always greener."

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

You seems not to understand at all. Money wasn't case, it was security. He left money on table, he signed less money vs Blues offered and take security. He want raise his kids in one place and not afraid he might get traded which would affect in his family.

You understand it now or not?

I'll admire and respect family man over man who just run business wise. Anything else doesnt matter.

Vegas valued Pietro more then Blues. How so called business type of City Vegas is that just show how much IRL it isnt that way. This also show what kind of Blues office is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blues Knight

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Care to give a little analysis with that assessment? And why do you have 2 accounts?

These are strictly my opinions. Overall I just like their D better than the Blues. The Avs have a few defensively sound guys. No I don't have 2 account's I just changed my name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad