How good are the Arizona Coyotes?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
One of the most perplexing teams for me is the Coyotes. Are they a playoff team now? Are they going to be a contender in the future? What do you think?

Potential Lines:

Keller-Schmaltz-Kessel
Dvorak-Stepan-Hinostoza
Garland-Soderberg-Fischer
Crouse-Richardson-Grabner
Hayton-Merkley

Ekman-Larsson-Demers
Chychurn-Hjalmarsson
Goligoski-Oesterle
Capobianco-Lyubushkin

Raanta
Kuemper

Prospects (no particular order):

Barrett Hayton (C)
Victor Soderstrom (RD)
Nick Merkley (LW, C, RW)
Adin Hill (G)
Ivan Prospetov (G)
Kevin Bahl (LD)
Kyle Capobianco (LD)
Can Dineen (LD)

everybody better say they are a wagon

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Very good chance they grab a wild card.

Solid 1A & 1B in net.

Addressed their biggest issue of lacking a game breaker by acquiring Kessel this off-season which will help slot everyone else better in the lineup.

Solid top 5 Dmen also.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Weakest team in the league down the middle, underrated d, I don't think they bottom out but I don't think they make the playoffs.

I have a lot of faith in Hayton though. Hopefully he becomes a top 6 centre soon for them.

Raanta might steal them a playoff spot.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Weakest team in the league down the middle.
I actually disagree with that I think they have better center depth than a few teams.

Anaheim
Getzlaf
Henrique
Steel?
Shore
Grant

Minnesota
Staal
Koivu
Eriksson Ek
Rask

Ottawa
White
Anisimov
Pageau
Tierney

The problem is they have two 2 line centers and 2 3rd line centers. They don’t have a superstar but Schmaltz and Barrett could be a deadly 1-2 soon.

Reactions: Ignatius

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
One of the most perplexing teams for me is the Coyotes. Are they a playoff team now? Are they going to be a contender in the future? What do you think?

Potential Lines:

Keller-Schmaltz-Kessel
Dvorak-Stepan-Hinostoza
Garland-Soderberg-Fischer
Crouse-Richardson-Grabner
Hayton-Merkley

Ekman-Larsson-Demers
Chychurn-Hjalmarsson
Goligoski-Oesterle
Capobianco-Lyubushkin

Raanta
Kuemper

Prospects (no particular order):

Barrett Hayton (C)
Victor Soderstrom (RD)
Nick Merkley (LW, C, RW)
Adin Hill (G)
Ivan Prospetov (G)
Kevin Bahl (LD)
Kyle Capobianco (LD)
Can Dineen (LD)

everybody better say they are a wagon

They have three defenseman on their first pairing?

:sarcasm:

Reactions: RABBIT

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I actually disagree with that I think they have better center depth than a few teams.

Anaheim
Getzlaf
Henrique
Steel?
Shore
Grant

Minnesota
Staal
Koivu
Eriksson Ek
Rask

Ottawa
White
Anisimov
Pageau
Tierney

The problem is they have two 2 line centers and 2 3rd line centers. They don’t have a superstar but Schmaltz and Barrett could be a deadly 1-2 soon.

Fair, forgot about Minny and I'm more optimistic about Anaheim but I'm not sold on Schmaltz being able to step up beyond bring a really good 2c and Hayton should develop nicely but he's not quite on the tier of prospects I'd bank on (Glass).

I think Arizona's winning centre piece isn't in their organization yet.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
The makeup of their team is really weird, like just a bunch of parts thrown together and hoping it works. Kessel was a great get, Hammer coming back on defense is a great boost, OEL is OEL, solid goaltending tandem too. I think they're a wildcard team, I can't see them doing much damage with their center depth, though.

Reactions: Lays

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Way better what people think/say. Don't see any weaknesses in their roster. Not sure is the coaching / system at the same level though.
Even thou their young GM is top notch (way better what Leafs counterpart), not sure can their coaching staff make it work.

Probably the best goalie duo in the NHL (money+quality combo)
That D haves experience,youth and enough puck movement, skating, defense to be a top 3 division team.
Offence has improved from last season, significantly.

Looks good to me.

Reactions: qqaz and vshun

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I think they’re a dark horse team like the NYI or Carolina last year. They have a ton of depth and they added an elite player in Kessel which they didn’t have any other than OEL last year. They should be able to put up some points in the regular season and maybe win a round or two, but won’t be good enough to win anything meaningful.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good team, should contend for a wild card. Still their centres have more holes than swiss cheese so that will hold them back.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I see a lot of their games since we pick up their regional sports affiliate here. Last year, they had stretches where they looked like a bottom-level playoff team, but they really struggled to consistently put the puck in the net. They didn’t have anybody close to being “the guy.” Nobody had 20 goals nor more 50 points.

Kessel alters that equation, but the problem is he is really the only one. On the defensive side, including in net, I think they can hang around against just about anyone. But whether they have enough on the attacking side to score enough goals at critical times to steal some games is anybody’s guess. It is going to depend on a lot of young players developing from where they were last year.

Last year they finished four points out of a playoff spot and had one more win that Colorado. But I don’t know that Kessel alone changes that enough.

Besides, they always seem to find a way to screw it up. I’d actually like to see that change, but somebody not named Kessel is going to have to step up to make that happen.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Not very. Kessel won’t even hit 70 points on that team. Their leading scorer had what, 45 points ? In a high scoring year too. They will have to play tight D and get killer goaltending to get anywhere .

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Good enough to have a realistic shot at one of the WC spots, but don't see them anywhere close to being a legit contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad