Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
1684021523213.png

Not past 8.

Reactions: Cooper09

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If he falls past the Habs I expect him to go 8th.

The Habs head European scout Barbarov has a lot of connections to SKA St. Petersburg. If the Habs pass there are likely genuine concerns with Michkov.

After that the team that would make sense the most would be the Caps. If they don't take him I don't know where he goes tbh.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He could go any pick from 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8.
8 seems like the perfect fit for him. Mich and Miro will get the Caps good again, they just need to start drafting centers because they'll be having a 40 yearold Backstrom centering Mich and Miro.
If he does somehow get past #8 then something has really gone wrong that scared teams off.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's honestly kind of crazy people are freaking out over drafting Michkov because he's Russian right now. 6 Russians went in the top 2 rounds last year and only one of them was not playing in Russia prior to being drafted. Now granted, that is the one that was the highest draft thus being the most to lose, but he was also clearly the best prospect of the bunch regardless of where he was playing so it's not like that aspect artificially propped him up. Heck, Miroshnichenko was drafted last year out of Russia, post-Ukrainian invasion, and he's coming over this year. I know Michkov has the contract, but that's about it as far as "concern" goes... and the last top NHL-caliber prospect as a draft-eligible from Russia to not come over is... well I don't know, because they all come over at some point.

Just reminds me of the hysteria of like 12 years ago about the 'Russian Factor' that they were all gonna play their whole career in the KHL. Allowed the Caps to get a steal in Kuznetsov far later than they should have, which made their Franchise's only Cup a possibility, and then following year the Lightning grabbed Kucherov with an almost comical looking late 2nd rounder after he had 3 PPG at the Under-18s two months before the Draft (for reference, same birth year Yakupov who went first overall a year later had 8 fewer points, which was still third best in the tournament). It's more or less an excuse for certain scouts/executives that don't like kids based on the way their last name sounds to justify passing on them.

Last edited:

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I don't think he slips past SJS - they're building something that's going to be messy for the next few years anyways, so when he does come over in 3 years you'll probably have a Kirill Kaprizov level player on an ELC

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I did a poll on that pre lottery:

What alleged behavior?

Reactions: Idionym

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
if I’m Briere, I’m doing everything I can on draft day to move up to grab him. He’s a future franchise player in my mind and Flyers need to tear it down anyways so the ‘26 arrival isn’t such a big deal - even gives them a few years to add other young foundational pieces

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Check EliteProspects I just took the exact numbers they had for every tournament that they both participated in.
If you use EP then you will see that there are separate columns "WJC-20 Cancelled" and "WJC-20" for 21/22. If you're going to take Michkov's "WJC-20 Cancelled" numbers then you at the very least should include those of Bedard as well.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
I think it’d be crazy if he fell past 5th overall. Montreal haven’t had a single player hit 40+ goals or 85+ points since the mid 90s, they’re starved for star forwards, literally about 3 DECADES since they’ve had a true star forward. Passing on Michkov because they’d have to wait a few years for him to come over (plus a very small risk that he might spend his prime in Russia) would be nuts.
Montreal has never had a big scorer since the dynasty era. Naslund hit 40 a couple times, Richer 50 a couple times...that's about it.

Feb 19, 2018
I’m going to go on a hunch and I think he goes outside the top 10 at number 11 to Vancouver. I think with so many players having huge U18 tournaments and the ability to have player control is going to make him fall. I say he ends up in Vancouver due to the recent Russian invasion on the team and them not being afraid of the Russian factor.

My reasoning for this as well is he’s not very big and is a winger. His contract becomes lees of an issue outside the top 10 picks this season as players will probably need 3 years of development anyways.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I’m not sure what is true. But, someone said that SKA has leverage to put a lot of pressure on Michkov to sign beyond 2026 and they expect he will be locked up another two years before he comes over. But, what do the Russians on this board think? Are you sure he will not extend beyond 2026? How certain is it?

“Someone said” is your source? Gonna need more than that.

DarthMaster09

May 16, 2022
The San Jose Sharks are in the perfect position to draft Matvei Michkov and they definitely will unless Leo Carlsson falls to them. The Columbus Blue Jackets want a centre and the Anaheim Ducks won't pass on Adam Fantilli. I'm really pissed off as a Montreal Canadiens fan that we are picking 5th, it's such a bad spot to be in. I see the bottom 4 teams are sure to get really great players. I see the top five being either these 2 scenarios.

1- Connor Bedard
2- Adam Fantilli
3- Leo Carlsson
4- Matvei Michkov
5- Will Smith
or
1- Connor Bedard
2- Adam Fantilli
3- Will Smith
4- Leo Carlsson
5- Matvei Michkov

TheGreenTBer

shitposting twat
Apr 30, 2021
Of course its a possibility. The only team in the Top 4 that will seriously consider him will likely be San Jose, and if they pass Montreal will have him available.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Of course its a possibility. The only team in the Top 4 that will seriously consider him will likely be San Jose, and if they pass Montreal will have him available.
With next year being another tank year while Arizona's situation is dealt with, I can see the Coyotes drafting and stashing.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I'm really pissed off as a Montreal Canadiens fan that we are picking 5th, it's such a bad spot to be in. I see the bottom 4 teams are sure to get really great players. I see the top five being either these 2 scenarios.

If the habs were top 4, they would probably pick Smith over Michkov. So that doesn't make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad