How far does Matvei Michkov fall?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Not sure how many people actually understand how complex things are becoming. He’s a very talented kid, but nobody should be surprised if he’s a 2nd rounder. Teams will be willing to throw a pick away after the 1st round and hope, but 1st rounders are like gold to teams. It’s the other kids who would normally be a 2nd or 3rd rounder who could go undrafted now.

If the situation with Fedotov is what’s been reported, this is old Red Army tactics. Where they trade playing hockey for the front lines but you are still technically in the Army until further notice.

It’s more likely teams go back to how they drafted Russians in the late 80s, early 90s. Willing to waste later round picks hoping a kid defects one day.

Anyone thinking this war is just going to end and everything goes back to normal, is really just hoping. Eastern Ukraine has been a mess for almost ten years now. It’s very complex.

Just don’t see many managers wanting to deal with it. If Michkov falls past Arizona at 12th, and then Detroit at 17th, he likely falls into the 2nd round. Kids like Kancerov likely go undrafted if teams are making the decision not to draft Russians until everything is more clear, but a talent like Michkov will still be drafted. It’s just a matter of when and who’s willing to take the chance.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Not sure how many people actually understand how complex things are becoming. He’s a very talented kid, but nobody should be surprised if he’s a 2nd rounder. Teams will be willing to throw a pick away after the 1st round and hope, but 1st rounders are like gold to teams. It’s the other kids who would normally be a 2nd or 3rd rounder who could go undrafted now.

If the situation with Fedotov is what’s been reported, this is old Red Army tactics. Where they trade playing hockey for the front lines but you are still technically in the Army until further notice.

It’s more likely teams go back to how they drafted Russians in the late 80s, early 90s. Willing to waste later round picks hoping a kid defects one day.

Anyone thinking this war is just going to end and everything goes back to normal, is really just hoping. Eastern Ukraine has been a mess for almost ten years now. It’s very complex.

Just don’t see many managers wanting to deal with it. If Michkov falls past Arizona at 12th, and then Detroit at 17th, he likely falls into the 2nd round. Kids like Kancerov likely go undrafted if teams are making the decision not to draft Russians until everything is more clear, but a talent like Michkov will still be drafted. It’s just a matter of when and who’s willing to take the chance.
There's absolutely ZERO chance a guy who has been hyped as a franchise level player is going to fall into the second round when there are several very good teams who don't need the guy to be here for the next couple of years who could take him.

You actually think Colorado would pass on him if he was there at their pick? Toronto? LA? New Jersey? Vegas? Seattle?

Come on. Dropping into the back half of the top-10, sure. Second round? That's laughable.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

This is nonsense. Russian players are still coming over, post invasion, post Fedotov.

The idea that Putin is preventing all of these Russian hockey players from coming to the United States to continue their hockey career is not borne out by reality.

By the way, CSKA Moscow is the Red Army team, Michkov plays for SKA St. Petersburg

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This is nonsense. Russian players are still coming over, post invasion, post Fedotov.

The idea that Putin is preventing all of these Russian hockey players from coming to the United States to continue their hockey career is not borne out by reality.

By the way, CSKA Moscow is the Red Army team, Michkov plays for SKA St. Petersburg
You simply can’t ignore the geopolitical landscape going on. Guarantee NHL managers want certainty. Especially with their high draft picks, and they’re not ignoring it. There’s a big push for already drafted players to sign right now from the player’s perspective. That will dwindle as things move forward. It is a conscript army and there is no sign of tensions easing. I’d love to be wrong, but I’m also a realist.

When I say “Red Army type tactics” that isn’t solely in regards to just a select few on one team. It is the tactic they used in the past, and the KHL is becoming more nationalized as a whole, as sanctions on much of those running the teams squeeze their international business interests. The more separated Russia becomes, the more they will play these games to lock Russian Nationals into playing in the league.

What it comes down to is very simple. Will managers in the NHL take the chance on players they may never see in North America? Especially those you know will not come over anytime soon. Michkov’s contract puts him in that situation.

If you were the Flyers GM as an example, would you make Michkov your first ever pick? Already knowing you have no control over him for the next few years? And that’s just in the least? Do you take that chance?

I’m of the opinion you don’t. This is NATO and Russia digging in now, with no peace deal anywhere in sight. Putin sees NATO meddling at his doorstep as the West trying to squeeze him. He’s not going to back down and as long as NATO countries keep financing the war against him, it’s not ending anytime soon.

Like I said, I hope I’m wrong. I’m just not prepared to use a high draft choice in a draft this deep with talent, on a kid who may never suit up for my team. You better be one secure manager to take him in the 1st Round.

Reactions: PWiz30

Ligue

Sep 28, 2017
You simply can’t ignore the geopolitical landscape going on. Guarantee NHL managers want certainty. Especially with their high draft picks, and they’re not ignoring it. There’s a big push for already drafted players to sign right now from the player’s perspective. That will dwindle as things move forward. It is a conscript army and there is no sign of tensions easing. I’d love to be wrong, but I’m also a realist.

When I say “Red Army type tactics” that isn’t solely in regards to just a select few on one team. It is the tactic they used in the past, and the KHL is becoming more nationalized as a whole, as sanctions on much of those running the teams squeeze their international business interests. The more separated Russia becomes, the more they will play these games to lock Russian Nationals into playing in the league.

What it comes down to is very simple. Will managers in the NHL take the chance on players they may never see in North America? Especially those you know will not come over anytime soon. Michkov’s contract puts him in that situation.

If you were the Flyers GM as an example, would you make Michkov your first ever pick? Already knowing you have no control over him for the next few years? And that’s just in the least? Do you take that chance?

I’m of the opinion you don’t. This is NATO and Russia digging in now, with no peace deal anywhere in sight. Putin sees NATO meddling at his doorstep as the West trying to squeeze him. He’s not going to back down and as long as NATO countries keep financing the war against him, it’s not ending anytime soon.

Like I said, I hope I’m wrong. I’m just not prepared to use a high draft choice in a draft this deep with talent, on a kid who may never suit up for my team. You better be one secure manager to take him in the 1st Round.
I would agree with this premise if the draft was more like an nfl draft where there is certainty and guys are contributing soon after being drafted.

However, NHL drafts are abysmal in terms of certainty from the get go. You know half the first round is busting regardless (or low impact players) since they’re drafted too young. Pretty sure GMs will draft the best talent and may attribute some weight to geopolitical factors but not where Michkov would go in the 2nd round.

Mailloux went in the first round for crying out loud.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022

He isn’t going to be a 2nd rd pick lol. Top 10 probably top 5.. bookmark this comment

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

CSKA/Red army has no direct connection to Russia’s military anymore. The same applies to SKA St Petersburg.

None of this is true. Like at all.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Both CSKA and SKA used to be army clubs. It's just one of them was central and the other not. Nowadays it's just brands. Teams became popular under those names so they kept them and turned them into franchises.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018

RlO6xV.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad