Speculation: How far away from competing for a Cup are the Hawks exactly?

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
This team could draft Jack Hughes, and he could perform as well as advertised, but this team won't be back on top until they start playing defense.
And a large chunk of the blame falls on the forwards. Hawks have a bunch who are the antithesis of Hossa.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I honestly don't think Stone hits free agency. No point speculating over him.

Panarin will for sure though.

Based on what? Are you an insider? Kind of weird you are saying just not to speculate on him.

DD mentioned he thinks he would be the the most likely to stay but had nothing backing it up and said that was speculation.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Based on what? Are you an insider? Kind of weird you are saying just not to speculate on him.

DD mentioned he thinks he would be the the most likely to stay but had nothing backing it up and said that was speculation.

My thoughts exactly when I read that post

It’s fine to say your opinion is he won’t hit the market, but to tell other posters to stop speculating because of your opinion? Wtf?

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
My thoughts exactly when I read that post

It’s fine to say your opinion is he won’t hit the market, but to tell other posters to stop speculating because of your opinion? Wtf?
You can speculate but I'm just saying not to get your hopes up. Stone wants to stay in Ottawa, he wants to continue mentoring Tkachuk, and he wants to be captain. Dorion isn't going to lowball him like he did with Karlsson. Duchene was offered an 8x8. Stone either gets the same offer or more which is around what he would get as a UFA. He'll take the Ottawa deal.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You can speculate but I'm just saying not to get your hopes up. Stone wants to stay in Ottawa, he wants to continue mentoring Tkachuk, and he wants to be captain. Dorion isn't going to lowball him like he did with Karlsson. Duchene was offered an 8x8. Stone either gets the same offer or more which is around what he would get as a UFA. He'll take the Ottawa deal.

You literally told us not to speculate because your opinion somehow proves he’s staying.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

8x8 is not a great offer.

All of these wants, do you have a source?

Stone WANTS win and Ottawa is not that close.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Hawks are much closer due to what I mentioned. It is not unrealistic to think they could be back in the playoffs next year (wildcard) then competing shortly after.
I personally think it's unrealistic, unless the defense drastically changes.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That's probably where we disagree. Because I don't see the young kids making a massive change for the better as early as next year. Maybe 2 years, but I am thinking 3 before they make a difference back there. As good as Joker has been this year, he hasn't changed a whole lot for us back there.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That's probably where we disagree. Because I don't see the young kids making a massive change for the better as early as next year. Maybe 2 years, but I am thinking 3 before they make a difference back there. As good as Joker has been this year, he hasn't changed a whole lot for us back there.

You don’t think they make a difference for 3 years...what? These are early pick with high end skill not 5th rounders.

Mitchell and Boqvist are going to make an impact quickly. There will be growing pains but the impact will be quick.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
For sure no one knows for sure about Stone and Ottawa but as Kevin Musto said Stone seems to enjoy playing with and mentoring Tkachuk and White. He will be made the captain and Ottawa despite all their troubles is a very good drafting team. They lose Karlsson and then voila Chabot who is an amazing talent. It looks more and more like they will get the new downtown areana. If I were a betting man I would say Stone stays. Duchene is 50/50. Dzingel most likely to go .. so bring the Illinois boy back home!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
For sure no one knows for sure about Stone and Ottawa but as Kevin Musto said Stone seems to enjoy playing with and mentoring Tkachuk and White. He will be made the captain and Ottawa despite all their troubles is a very good drafting team. They lose Karlsson and then voila Chabot who is an amazing talent. It looks more and more like they will get the new downtown areana. If I were a betting man I would say Stone stays. Duchene is 50/50. Dzingel most likely to go .. so bring the Illinois boy back home!

Hard to draft high end consistently without first round picks...

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Hard to draft high end consistently without first round picks...
Regardless .. Ottawa seems to draft well. Their ownership is low end and the GM may be questionable but their drafting is top tier. They don't have their first this year but may land a later 1st round pick with Duchene or Dzingel or whomever they end up trading at the TDL.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Regardless .. Ottawa seems to draft well. Their ownership is low end and the GM may be questionable but their drafting is top tier. They don't have their first this year but may land a later 1st round pick with Duchene or Dzingel or whomever they end up trading at the TDL.

They do. They did 2008-2011 really well..

Ottawa Senators Draft History at hockeydb.com

Last edited:
Reactions: crazyhawk

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
That’s why I hope the Hawks get lucky and get the 1st overall pick. They could become a much more attractive destination all of a sudden, kinda like Edmonton after they drafted McDavid. There was a sought after free agent who signed there right after due to the McDavid effect. Justin Schultz I think it was.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You don’t think they make a difference for 3 years...what? These are early pick with high end skill not 5th rounders.

Mitchell and Boqvist are going to make an impact quickly. There will be growing pains but the impact will be quick.
Mitchell could make an impact in 2 years, certainly don't see it happening next year. And I don't see Boqvist here next year, and he'll be a rookie 2 years from now, and hopefully be making an impact 3 years from now. That's how I see it. How many Dmen make a huge difference in the NHL in the first year or two in the league? Not many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad