How far away are the Kings from contention?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It’s a team’s shooting percentage plus save percentage. On average a team’s PDO is 100. Some analysts claim that it’s a measure of luck, but I disagree.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't call it 'luck' but it's certainly volatile and most teams will end the season around 98-102 due to skill and over or under performance. Seeing a team work at 107, for example, will be seen as unsustainable, as that means a combination of insane goaltending and insane shooting (which is obviously possible to a degree).

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Agreed, this year they were rolling,

Kopitar, Carter, Kempe, Thompson....Thompson is an upgrade from Fraser, Kempe was an offensive upgrade to Stoll, but downgrade defensively, etc,

The issue wasn't center depth, it was winger depth, Toffoli, Pearson, Brown, Iafallo, ie, the remaining top six, were ineffective in finishing, they had their chances...

Kempe is an offensive upgrade, in theory, but he didn't score a goal since the 2017 calendar year or something close to it.

Stoll's grit (he finished checks and was dirty) along with his face-off ability was huge in both Cup runs.

Thompson as an upgrade over Fraser is negligible.

Richards was still a stud in 2012 with 2012 Richards being better than the 2018 playoffs Jeff Carter. I'll agree that the winger depth was severely lacking in comparison since Carter was on the wing, Brown was better and Williams was here. Even Penner put it together while playing with 10/77. Torrie Mitchell is pretty much trash and looks even worse when compared to 2012 Dwight King and even Nolan.

Every forward looks better, however, when the defense is so good at moving the puck quickly to the forwards. Legit NHL'ers up and down from 1-6 on the blueline in 2012 v. rolling out variation of Fantenberg/Gravel/LaDue while also removing Doughty for a game.

It is silly comparing the teams since the only position that didn't see a downgrade was in net, as far as playoff v. playoff goes.

Darren

May 13, 2018
Alberta
After reading this whole thread, I got just a couple of points for those saying we need a complete rebuild.

1) Yes we have exactly 1 playoff win in 2 showings, but both times we played against teams that went to the finals

2)Despite the fact we didn't win a single game against Vegas, I would argue that defensively we gave them a hard run for their money.

3)Statistically we are still a really good team

4)Yes we had players that over performed (Kopi, Brown) and we can't expect that every year. We also had players that we all KNOW can play better. Kempe Toffoli Pearson can all do better, and players like Iafollo who showed flares of brilliance.

5) (edited comment) Does anyone think the Kings lose 4 straight with Fleury in net?

I'm not ready to give up on this team for a rebuild. When we start to look like the Canadians Ottawa or New York, than lets talk rebuild

Last edited:

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
After reading this whole thread, I got just a couple of points for those saying we need a complete rebuild.

1) Yes we have exactly 1 playoff win in 2 showings, but both times we played against teams that went to the finals

2)Despite the fact we didn't win a single game against Vegas, I would argue that defensively we gave them a hard run for their money.

3)Statistically we are still a really good team

4)Yes we had players that over performed (Kopi, Brown) and we can't expect that every year. We also had players that we all KNOW can play better. Kempe Toffoli Pearson can all do better, and players like Iafollo who showed flares of brilliance.

5) (edited comment) Does anyone think the Kings lose 4 straight with Fleury in net?

I'm not ready to give up on this team for a rebuild. When we start to look like the Canadians Ottawa or New York, than lets talk rebuild

We were their toughest opponent and lost every game by 1 goal. Few lucky bounces our way and maybe we in the finals . Fluery was in god mode . We definitely have a better team than people give credit . Vilardi is gonna be better than people expect and with Kempe and Amadio and Iaffalo a year older and with some experience along with bounce back seasons from Toffoli and Pearson and we can be deadly next year .

We taking the CUP next year . I’ll bet 10k on it after the offseason and post my bet here .

Let’s Go Kings

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Agreed, this year they were rolling,

Kopitar, Carter, Kempe, Thompson....Thompson is an upgrade from Fraser, Kempe was an offensive upgrade to Stoll, but downgrade defensively, etc,

The issue wasn't center depth, it was winger depth, Toffoli, Pearson, Brown, Iafallo, ie, the remaining top six, were ineffective in finishing, they had their chances...

Toffoli had countless grade A scoring chances that if he had buried even a few we would not have been swept .

Reactions: Butch 19

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
We were their toughest opponent and lost every game by 1 goal. Few lucky bounces our way and maybe we in the finals . Fluery was in god mode . We definitely have a better team than people give credit . Vilardi is gonna be better than people expect and with Kempe and Amadio and Iaffalo a year older and with some experience along with bounce back seasons from Toffoli and Pearson and we can be deadly next year .

We taking the CUP next year . I’ll bet 10k on it after the offseason and post my bet here .

Let’s Go Kings

If we hear this type of narrative coming from Robitaille or Blake, this roster won't get fixed.

Reactions: King Trouty

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I think it's pretty telling that we have rumors of teams shopping some of their biggest and best core players after just one year of failure (Rumors of PK being shopped, Kessel being shopped etc.), where as with the Kings, after several years of failure, we're still sticking with the same guys. Literally zero rumors about ANY of our guys being moved for the past few years.

It shows how far behind the Kings still are with their thinking and perceptions of the team. Most of these modern teams know that assets are the name of the game in the cap world, not big names and big contracts.

Reactions: KINGS17

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think it's pretty telling that we have rumors of teams shopping some of their biggest and best core players after just one year of failure (Rumors of PK being shopped, Kessel being shopped etc.), where as with the Kings, after several years of failure, we're still sticking with the same guys. Literally zero rumors about ANY of our guys being moved for the past few years.

It shows how far behind the Kings still are with their thinking and perceptions of the team. Most of these modern teams know that assets are the name of the game in the cap world, not big names and big contracts.

Really? I haven't heard any rumours of Marner, Matthews, Krejc, Bergeron, Marchand, Schiefele, Laine, Johanson, Seth Jones, Panarin, Josi, Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, being traded...none whatsoever,

I have heard rumours of Kessel being traded because of issues between him and the coach, I hear rumours of PK being traded because of issues within the team,

If you can't tell the difference, well, I can't help you on that.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Really? I haven't heard any rumours of Marner, Matthews, Krejc, Bergeron, Marchand, Schiefele, Laine, Johanson, Seth Jones, Panarin, Josi, Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, being traded...none whatsoever,

I have heard rumours of Kessel being traded because of issues between him and the coach, I hear rumours of PK being traded because of issues within the team,

If you can't tell the difference, well, I can't help you on that.

Yup and Yup....

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Update:

distance.jpg

Jul 31, 2005
CA
If the Kings somehow got Voynov in the US clear and free and signed him to a deal and signed Kovy to 2-10, with cap moves made along the way are they contenders?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Seriously. Barely had any time to let each victory sink in before we were on to the next one in improbable fashion. Dwight King setting the Kings WCF goal-scoring record....walking off the wall and sniping top shelf :laugh: How many majors did Phoenix get that series? 3? Hanzal boarding Brown in the most dangerous fashion, Doan on Lewis...

Mooy04

Apr 5, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't think the Kings are that far from contention. We have top players in certain position. Our top 2 centers, top 4 defense and goalie are still solid. The issue is the same as it has been for awhile now, wingers. Brown had a bounce back year but I would like to see another season like that before I admit he is back to form. One great season out of the last 5 doesn't mean a lot by itself. Outside of him the other wingers are ok, but nothing to write home about. I love TT but he isn't a top line center. The Kings are filled with a couple 2nd line wingers but the rest are 3rd and 4th line wingers.

Our offense lack the punch and speed it needs to do well in the NHL. I personally think a change in head coach may help. Stevens has done great things for the Kings but I have always seen him as Sutter-lite. We need some new blood to come in both in terms of coaching and wings to rejuvenate the team.

I fear the Kings will become the new Flames, where they just barely make the playoffs or just barely miss it. The team doesn't get far because of lack of depth but they also don't get high draft picks so its a slow death until a eventual full rebuild. This is if they don't try to change things up IMO.

Reactions: kenito7 and KINGS17

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
More than any other team, Kings are dependent on health and availability since we lack depth. If we have Carts, Forbort, and Muzzin at 100% (and Doughty doesn't get suspended), then we push Vegas a lot harder. Add 2 or 3 pieces to our roster and get healthy-- we can make a run. If we have one or two pieces get hurt, we're done. Kovi is a nice start.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
IF Kovalchuk can score 30 goals, playing with Kopitar and Brown and Toffoli can get back to 30 goals and Pearson 20....Kings can contend.
Instead of screaming for giving up assets for Pacioretty, Skinner or Panarin...how about TT and Pearson stepping up? Not out of the
realm Kempe can reach 20. Did not say probable - but it's possible.

A healthy Carter will help immensely too. This is the first time since Richards was here, to actually have talent on the top 3 lines.
Iafallo has the speed and versatility to play center. If he's not good on faceoffs, Lewis can take them. Amadio has too much creative
ability to play on line 4. He's excelled every level and has had some games now and not disappointed - just not produced a lot.
Give him a shot. If he cannot produce, can always move Iafallo up. If I am coach Stevens, I'm visiting TT and Pearson in the
off season and telling them to f'ing come prepared. Stevens apparently visited Phaneuf (Think it was Dion) this offseason
and visits the players...which is very cool. It sucks, if you 'have' to trade JAD and or Clague, another #1 for players
like Skinner or Patches, (and cannot afford either) when TT and Pearson should step up.

Kovalchuk Kopitar Brown
Pearson Carter Toffoli
Kempe Amadio Vilardi
Clifford Iaffalo Lewis Thompson

Muzzin Doughty
Martinez Phaneuf
Forbort Brickley
Ladue

Quick
Budaj

Last edited:

Ad