Value of: How does Pitt get out of Jack Johnson’s contract

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'd do it if you replace Poulin with Pierre-Olivier Joseph.

I’d rather send a guy like Toffoli instead of (or in addition to) Carter, then, if that would net us Poulin. Kings have some prospects they could flip too, surprisingly.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Wasnt there a rumor or something bout him and anaheim. Guess it depends whats comin with him

4 more years of JJ (who is already 32) with a cap hit of >3M ... jesus I hope not.

This would definitely be Bieksa 2.0.. and unfortunately sounds just like some of the dumb shit Bob is prone to doing in the offseason

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think we are all pretty off in our estimations of JJ’s value.

-95% of people said Lucic was untradeable
-Everyone thought it would take more to dump Zaitsev
-People thought trouba would get way more in a trade
-Every non Pens fan thought Kessel would return nothing but Pennies
-Not a single person saw Subban getting dealt for that low

I think it’s time HF goers take a chill pill when it comes assessing value with absolute certainty. We are all clearly gauging the values wrong.

If Lucic can be dealt without a 1st or a valuable asset, so too can JJ

Either that or it is proven that there will always be a stupid GM in the league behind the trends.

- How can a GM see the league trending to skill and watch Lucic become more and more obsolete and think adding him is a good thing?

- How can a GM look at Toronto's defense and take half the D core and the coach responsible for it?

-Trouba should have been traded a few years ago when he held out the first time. He handicapped the Jets into a 1 team trade which lowered value

- Kessel didn't really return much honestly, and I'd love to see "everyone" saying he would get pennies? Just that he wouldn't return a superstar return which he didn't.

- Subban was a cap move which they had to lose to make, just like many other teams this offseason.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Either that or it is proven that there will always be a stupid GM in the league behind the trends.

- How can a GM see the league trending to skill and watch Lucic become more and more obsolete and think adding him is a good thing?

- How can a GM look at Toronto's defense and take half the D core and the coach responsible for it?

-Trouba should have been traded a few years ago when he held out the first time. He handicapped the Jets into a 1 team trade which lowered value

- Kessel didn't really return much honestly, and I'd love to see "everyone" saying he would get pennies? Just that he wouldn't return a superstar return which he didn't.

- Subban was a cap move which they had to lose to make, just like many other teams this offseason.
I proposed Kessel for Galchenyuk straight up and Yotes fans laughed. They said because of the age difference he would never get a guy like Gally.

Kessel returned Gally and POJ who was a recent 1st rounder, that’s a pretty solid return. Also I think Gally is vastly underrated on these boards.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If we are taking your bad contracts you need to include a non conditional 1st or one of your top prospect on top of that 2nd rounder. And even then I really do not want to do it. Buffalo already helped you out taking Hunwick and Sheary for a 4th and luckily Sheary was worth it as he was our 4th leading scorer among forwards. This trade though just is terrible. Totally cripples our ability to be able to bring in a big $$ UFA next summer while getting the Pens totally out of cap hell for a whopping late 2nd rounder. No thanks.

Bjugstad is more like to be your 4th leading scoring forward than Sheary IMO. I know Johansson should be filling that spot but he's had terrible luck with injuries. I'd also banked on Risto being moved for help at forward.

Taylor Hall seems the only potential UFA that might be available in the summer.

Ducks... supposedly his name was brought up from Anaheim

That's a big package just to dump Johnson. For a 1st and one of our better prospects I'd want something decent in return (i.e young player/prospect/pick)

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
4 more years of JJ (who is already 32) with a cap hit of >3M ... jesus I hope not.

This would definitely be Bieksa 2.0.. and unfortunately sounds just like some of the dumb **** Bob is prone to doing in the offseason
Wasnt there a rumor bout getting him... just curious what wed get lol

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The purpose of moving JJ is to be cap compliant, which means trading JJ for a player with a larger salary coming back is out. Ditto for a 1st or one of our top prospects, the Pens would move Rust or Bjugstad first. JJ is still a bottom pairing D, just not on the Pens as he would be paired with Gudbranson. Some people forget JJ played RD for much of the season last year, where he looked much worse before he was moved to the 2nd pair LD when Schultz came back and after the Gudbranson trade.

I could see JJ paired with ZAR and maybe a 3rd for a cheaper player and or late pick or contract, lower ranked prospect or some combination.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I think we are all pretty off in our estimations of JJ’s value.

-95% of people said Lucic was untradeable
-Everyone thought it would take more to dump Zaitsev
-People thought trouba would get way more in a trade
-Every non Pens fan thought Kessel would return nothing but Pennies
-Not a single person saw Subban getting dealt for that low

I think it’s time HF goers take a chill pill when it comes assessing value with absolute certainty. We are all clearly gauging the values wrong.

If Lucic can be dealt without a 1st or a valuable asset, so too can JJ

On the flip side, it cost a 1st round pick to offload Marleau.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I’d rather send a guy like Toffoli instead of (or in addition to) Carter, then, if that would net us Poulin. Kings have some prospects they could flip too, surprisingly.
The problem is Toffoli is a UFA at the end of the season. If he had 3 years left I'd consider it. Maybe if LA re-signs him and then retains then I'd do it.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
On the flip side, it cost a 1st round pick to offload Marleau.
He was a bit different. He cost Carolina a 6m buyout and cap hit and they can’t even be use him.

Lucic, with all his warts, can at least fill a 4th line role.

That’s why I think a Marleau trade costed so much

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Why would they want to? We’re talking Jack Mother-****ing Johnson, right?
JMFJ!
Forever shall he remain mighty on the Pens blue line. Dilly dilly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
:pens

Jack Johnson 4 years @ 3.25
Nick Bjugstad 2 years @ 4.1
2nd Round pick 2021/Equivalent prospect

:sabres

Vladimir Sobotka 1 year @ 3.5
Matt Hunwick 1 year @ 2.25

Then Pens try and flip Sobotka for minimal salary in return.
It's been a few days and no one bit. So here I am.
Why the hell would the Sabres do this?
Also, thank me for replying to you. I've done you a favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad