Value of: How does Pitt get out of Jack Johnson’s contract

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think we are all pretty off in our estimations of JJ’s value.

-95% of people said Lucic was untradeable
-Everyone thought it would take more to dump Zaitsev
-People thought trouba would get way more in a trade
-Every non Pens fan thought Kessel would return nothing but Pennies
-Not a single person saw Subban getting dealt for that low

I think it’s time HF goers take a chill pill when it comes assessing value with absolute certainty. We are all clearly gauging the values wrong.

If Lucic can be dealt without a 1st or a valuable asset, so too can JJ
I understand your point and you might be right, but one lopsided trade doesn't set the market values.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yeah, there you go, OP. Hit up Calgary.

Just tell them how tough and manly Johnson is. These people just voluntarily traded for Lucic, they'll give you Brodie for Johnson straight up, no questions asked.
This is one way to look at things.

I mean its a way to look at things that's completely blind to the absolute f*** of effort James Neal Couldn't even bring himself to give this season (or at least for his sake that's what I hope happened to him). Neal became a shit stain in your underwear that even bleach can't get out almost overnight in Calgary so I'd say Lucic for Neal is at worst lateral.

Fortunately most of the teams with GMs stupid enough to take Jack Johnson for value are basically Capped out themselves (or are, in fact Jim Rutherford.....Gudbranson). So I think Johnson will remain solidly planted appropriately ANCHORing Pittsburgh's Bottom Pair.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think we are all pretty off in our estimations of JJ’s value.

-95% of people said Lucic was untradeable
-Everyone thought it would take more to dump Zaitsev
-People thought trouba would get way more in a trade
-Every non Pens fan thought Kessel would return nothing but Pennies
-Not a single person saw Subban getting dealt for that low

I think it’s time HF goers take a chill pill when it comes assessing value with absolute certainty. We are all clearly gauging the values wrong.

If Lucic can be dealt without a 1st or a valuable asset, so too can JJ
First of all, Oilers would've gladly shipped Lucic + 1st rounder to somewhere and take zero salary back over retaining and shipping him in exchange for Neal. I fail to see a world where a 1st round pick is worth more than gaining 6M cap space for the next 4 seasons.

From what I've seen, people are saying JJ is an awful player and on a negative value contract. That's objectively correct. But of course that doesn't mean he is untradeable. If Pens take similar bad term and bad money back (like Edmonton did for Lucic), they probably can trade JJ. And hey, maybe if they find a really stupid GM somewhere, someone as dumb as JR last summer when he signed JJ, they could trade him for an actual return as well.

If you argument is that "hey lets wait a minute, there might be an idiot GM out there so we might be wrong about the value/return", then okay. But this doesn't mean we got anything "wrong". This means the NHL team that made the trade was wrong. Just like JR was wrong last summer.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Not because I want ether of them traded but it’s going to be Bjugstad or Rust traded for space.
Rust has decent value but Bjugstad is what he is at this point (I doubt he'll ever flirt with 50PTs in the NHL again, maybe he'll prove me wrong). Rust could be moved with minimal effort for space, I don't think reviews are positive enough that Bjugstad would prove enticing. Not really sure either is relevant to the, admittedly poorly spun, OP.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
I'd do it if you replace Poulin with Pierre-Olivier Joseph.

Yeah, because we never need young D ever, right? So we might as well trade the best one we have? Makes sense. Thats the kind of thinking that got us in this prospect-less mess. Yes, I want to rid our team of Jack Johnson, but not at the expensive of giving up any of the young kids we acquired this off season. Not worth it when the prospect cupboard looks THIS bare and we don't have a plan to use his cap space. As far as I'm concerned, he can rot as our 7th Dman until we need that cap space. :laugh:

Reactions: Giskard

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Fortunately most of the teams with GMs stupid enough to take Jack Johnson for value are basically Capped out themselves (or are, in fact Jim Rutherford.....Gudbranson). So I think Johnson will remain solidly planted appropriately ANCHORing Pittsburgh's Bottom Pair.
People should at least wait for Guds to suck this year before slamming JR for acquiring him because he was fine for the Pens last season and if he plays like that again I don't think any Pens fans will be upset about him being on the team

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Rust has decent value but Bjugstad is what he is at this point (I doubt he'll ever flirt with 50PTs in the NHL again, maybe he'll prove me wrong). Rust could be moved with minimal effort for space, I don't think reviews are positive enough that Bjugstad would prove enticing. Not really sure either is relevant to the, admittedly poorly spun, OP.
Its not about value it’s just about space. I’d rather keep Rust. But JJ may be unmovable at this point... who knows with Lucic moved (no dig just saying). But the likelihood players to be moved for space out of Pitt are Bjugstad or Rust. I’d prefer to keep Rust, but he maybe the move moveable cap move on the team unfortunately:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
:pens

Jack Johnson 4 years @ 3.25
Nick Bjugstad 2 years @ 4.1
2nd Round pick 2021/Equivalent prospect

:sabres

Vladimir Sobotka 1 year @ 3.5
Matt Hunwick 1 year @ 2.25

Then Pens try and flip Sobotka for minimal salary in return.

No thanks. A late 2nd isn't even CLOSE to make this fair.

Firstly,Hunwick will not play for Buffalo. There are 10 dmen ahead of him and he will just be sent to the AHL where 1.05 mil of his contract will come off our cap. Sobotka likewise can be sent down or not it doesn't matter because they are off the books next summer. We do not want your albatross bad contracts that will hamper us next off season when Buffalo will want to go all out for a top tier free agent when the only worthwhile piece is a 2nd round pick in the 50-60 range.

Bjugstad is a 35-40 point player making over 4 mil. Jack Johnson wouldn't even be in our top 7. And he has a whopping 4 years left.

Dahlin
Risto
Miller
Montour
Pilut
Joki
McCabe

are all clearly ahead of Johnson. And we have 1st round D prospects drafted in the top 32 the last 2 seasons in Samuelsson and Johnson that will be in Buffalo well before Johnsons deal is up adding 2 more better dmen.And we also still have 2 other dmen identical to Johnson (way overpaid and not good at all) on the current roster in Bogosian and Scandella. Luckily those 2 and their 9.1 mil combined ALSO come off the books next summer.

If we are taking your bad contracts you need to include a non conditional 1st or one of your top prospect on top of that 2nd rounder. And even then I really do not want to do it. Buffalo already helped you out taking Hunwick and Sheary for a 4th and luckily Sheary was worth it as he was our 4th leading scorer among forwards. This trade though just is terrible. Totally cripples our ability to be able to bring in a big $$ UFA next summer while getting the Pens totally out of cap hell for a whopping late 2nd rounder. No thanks.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Ask Edmonton to broker a deal for you, apparently they have the magic touch now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad