How do you view the last 7 seasons as a Sens fan?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Since the cup run we have had mixed results. We are pretty much a different team now and moving forward do you think we can have as successful of a run as we did when we were the model of how to build a contender?

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yes. The NHL is changing. Hardwork+skill is what wins you games. That's what many of our core players have and it should help us be contender for a long time. Especially if Karlsson gets back to 100%

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I wish we built it like last time. We needed to actually suck. We did a half assed rebuild.

You can call me captain hindsight all you want, but when we traded away fisher,Kelly,kovalev, etc, we should have traded spezza,Alfredsson, Phillips,Neil. We should have been bottom 5 for 3 years. Right now we would have a couple more blue chippers. More pieces to build around. Higher draft picks combined with probably close to 10 young players/draft picks acquired in dealing those players.

More teams then not are contenders by being bad for a while. That's how Ottawa got good 15 years ago, that's how Pittsburgh got good, that's how Chicago got good,etc.

You can point to Edmonton all you want, but they don't know how to build a team. They disregard defense and goaltending.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
I view it as the cyclical nature of sports teams. You can't win all of the time. If you can't handle it, I suggest you find another pastime

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Since the cup run we have had mixed results. We pretty much a different team now and moving forward do you think we can have as successful of a run as we did when we were the model of how to build a contender?

Don't mean to be negative however i have a hard time seeing really any Canadian team competeing for a cup in the foreseeable future due to various reasons (taxes, climate, anonymity, cdn dollar, media, cdn pressure etc...), also i do not think we will be that powerhouse team that we were for a good run of years due to the parity and some of the reasons listed above.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Pretty good

It's had it's ups and downs but 2012-2013 was one of the best seasons since I've started watching in 2002

Last year was a disaster but you take the good with the bad

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Don't mean to be negative however i have a hard time seeing really any Canadian team competeing for a cup in the foreseeable future due to various reasons (taxes, climate, anonymity, cdn dollar, media, cdn pressure etc...), also i do not think we will be that powerhouse team that we were for a good run of years due to the parity and some of the reasons listed above.

The reasons you listed don't make sense as they were still there 15 years ago. We also ranked probably the same in payroll.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Pretty good. High moments. Low moments. Expected moments. Unexpected moments.

It is a professional sporting franchise, not the Harlem Globetrotters.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Some good/great stuff, lots of downhill and then stalling in the mid standings. Can't seem to breakout into something more dangerous but not an easy opponent to play against.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
It's been one long stretch of mismanagment, public relations disasters and mediocrity. We've been average at very best defensively and a bubble team in most seasons.

I long for a new owner and a new manager, I long for the days when all that was talked about were the playoffs and cup expectations. I long for expectations instead of just knowing we're an also ran and then hearing thta such and such a prospect is the next "X", only to have them be mediocre.

And no, I don't think this group wins a cup. Not without a new owner on board.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Up and down, on par with the parity of the NHL

Expecting to be a top contender for decades is delusional.

NHL Draft and salary cap and Bettman makes sure teams can't do that. It's now everyone's turn

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
It's been one long stretch of mismanagment, public relations disasters and mediocrity. We've been average at very best defensively and a bubble team in most seasons.

I long for a new owner and a new manager, I long for the days when all that was talked about were the playoffs and cup expectations. I long for expectations instead of just knowing we're an also ran and then hearing thta such and such a prospect is the next "X", only to have them be mediocre.

And no, I don't think this group wins a cup. Not without a new owner on board.

Those years of cup expectations were a byproduct of sucking really bad for a number of years.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
article-2294236-18B37A75000005DC-693_634x413.jpg

This sums it up for me.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
up and down really..mediocre seasons.. but a few positive moments. The series win against Montreal was a definite highlight.

currently this team is a PR disaster with the possibility of becoming a gongshow. Losing Alfie and Spezza is a terrible image thing

As much as I appreciate our owner saving this team more than 10 years ago.. he's been an extremely poor ambassador of this team. That whole Karlsson "investigation" was such an embarrassment to see made public and made us look like a mickey mouse organization

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Those years of cup expectations were a byproduct of sucking really bad for a number of years.

And UFA being at 31

Sure, but we also had excellent pro scouting and development. Alfredsson was a gem, we turned the unwanted Yashin into two great pieces, we got Hoss and Havlat for years and did very well on the goaltending as well, getting cheap ticket prices on Tugnutt and Lalime and then Hasek for that one year or two.

And hey, it's not like Murray hasn't had windows to strip it bare. We could had Tavares but he chose to patch. We could have had (and were even high on) Landeskog and again chose to patch. That's kinda my point. The avenues were there and the talent was there but the willingness to just strip it down and go forward wasn't, and now we have an elite Karlsson and a bunch of mismatched players up front of varying talent levels.

We need a new direction and a real rebuild, this year would be great to get a top five pick...it could set the team up for ages.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I view the last seven years as an underperformance. Call me spoiled from eleven straight playoff appearances, but I kind of expect hockey in the last two weeks of April, with a second-round appearance being a coinflip. But I also get that no team is without its rough years - the Habs had the last 90s/early 2000s, the Leafs had the Ballard years, the Hawks had fifteen years of obscurity right after WWII, and then another ten up until 2009.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The problem is we were very well run under the no-cap system because it really rewardewd great scouting

Now? Not so much because you lose control over the players you drafted much earlier and the cap is going to be driven by a select few teams that make a lot more money than everyone else combined

What happened? We are paying for the mistakes of other teams that abused the previous system, that's what happened

The smart always pay for the short-sighted's mistakes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad