How do you rate goalies compared to other players?

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
So, i watched that documentary on the Czech team that won gold, and there was a moment where one of the speakers said "We had Lindros, Gretzky, etc, etc... They had one guy, Hasek."

I then looked at his stats and he led the league in SV% from 93-94 to 99-2000, every year, which is effing insane.

I always had him at #5 all time players behind the obvious four, but does he possibly deserve to be higher? Does any other goalie deserve to be in the conversation of top 10 players of all time?

What does a goalie have to do beat out a legendary player in your opinion?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Well first of all the Czech's had peak Jagr so it's kind of a dumb quote.

Regardless, it is difficult if not impossible to compare goalies to skaters. The best thing you can do IMO is compare them to their peers. Compare a skater to the top 30 skaters and compare a goalie to the top 30 goalies. See how they stack up. Numbers don't tell the whole story either - especially for goalies. The defense and system they play in is almost of equal importance as the goal tender themselves.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Well first of all the Czech's had peak Jagr so it's kind of a dumb quote.

True, but they scored 6 total goals in the medal round and only allowed 2. I feel like in the context of that game, they were accurate. The canadians had an all star team, and the Czechs had Hasek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad